Thread: Kevins Journal

Wannabebig Member

Kevins Journal

Officially started lifting a few days ago:

Weight: 161
    Height: 5'9-10
    BF%: 13

My plan: lift hard and eat a lot, make sure I'm consuming enough protein daily, and a good meal 1 hour before workout and a double shake immediately after every workout(48gs protein) Do this over the next 5-6months and get to my goal of about 190-195lbs

Then cut off some weight and see how I feel. Ideally I'd like to be about 180-185 and about 8% BF

So two days ago my workout consisted of (keep in mind im lifting at home right now, Jan 14th ill be back at school and will so some real lifting):

-Bench press 110lbs 3x7 (I worked out with 140 regularly last year)
    -Lunges 110lbs 3x6 each leg
    -close grip bench 70lbs 3x8
    -OH bar press (military or w/e) 50lbs 3x8

I about to lift right now, and I will add bent over barbell rows for back....

Today I ate:
    A soft pretzel, and a doughnut
    Bottle of gatorade, and a whole bag of beef jerkey (250 cals, 36g protein)
    Breast of chicken, some pasta, and mashed potatoes
    And at 715 i just ate a Deli chicken sandwich
    After I lift ill have a shake

Today was an off day I didnt get to eat to much.....last night i got 7.5hrs of sleep...I think thats everything, here are some pictures from today..hmm not loading, ill add them later
    Now 9/04/2008: 167lbs 5'9.5, 13-14% BF
    Bench: 150
    Squat: 250
    Dead: ???

Goals: 185ish 5-10%BF (By this time next year, or asap)
    Bench: 250
    Squat: 350+
    Dead: ????

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Welcome. That routine looks ok for one day, but what do you plan to do once you school starts? Also, do you have a rough idea of your calorie intake? It can help when you want to gain weight to know exactly how much your eating.

Sorry to ask so much in your journal, but answering those questions will help with your gains down the road. Good luck!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteman90909 View Post
    Welcome. That routine looks ok for one day, but what do you plan to do once you school starts? Also, do you have a rough idea of your calorie intake? It can help when you want to gain weight to know exactly how much your eating.

Sorry to ask so much in your journal, but answering those questions will help with your gains down the road. Good luck!
    Thanks, for replying, no problem with the questions. When I get to school im not sure yet, maybe WBB 1 or any of the routines on here.

Yeah I dont think im eating enough right now, I know I can though, it shouldnt be a problem, but im not sure how to find a good starting point. Over the last year or so I'm pretty sure ive put on some fat in the midsection, so i think i can deff gain muscle if i lift, and my plan was to just eat a lot and never be hungry and hit the gym hard. And i dont mean eat cookies and cake and that stuff, like good whole foods and meat is what I'm talking about...so if you could help me out with determining a good accurate maintainance calorie level for me that would be great, im goin off the 15*body weight(160) method which is 2400 cal a day..so i was planning to stay above 3000 a day, but not keep real close track of it unless i see no gain at all after the first 4 weeks or so...

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Calorie formulas should only be used for a very rough estimate. I would say go ahead with a number like 3000cals and stick to it for a week or two. Track it on fitday.com to begin with, and that way you will know where you stand. If you gain a pound or two a week, then keep the cals. If you gain too much, drop the cals by about 400 or 500. The same goes for if you don't gain- add 400 or 500 cals. You should be steadily increasing weight. I did that for a couple weeks, and then once I was able to guess portions and what-not, just kept eating at a level to gain weight. I just helps to track for a while to figure out how much food you need.

As for the cookies and cake... Its the holidays. I believe that they are fine as long as you eat some real foods, and don't just eat crap.

Just keep posting your workouts (and diet if you use fitday) and you should see some gains.

Wannabebig Member
    The workout at home thing didn't last very long. I lifted for about a week and a half and then kind of stopped when all my friends and girlfriend came home for the holidays. Plus I had no one to lift with and crappy equipment so I was scared to push myself to the limit. I lifted yesterday, just did like 5 exercises(OH dumbell press, dumbell bench press, squat, dips, and tri pulldowns) so I might do this routine 4-5 times before I leave for school just to keep the muscles stimulated a little so they are not totally shocked come the big lifting!

I feel like over the past year or so I've gained about 10lbs of fat. I was always around 150 since like 10th grade, in the last 6-9 months I guess I have slowly moved up to 160, this tells me Im most likely eating enough to make some muscle gains if i lifted. I am going to start WBB1.1 on Jan 14th without question, all my roommates will be lifting seriously, so it wont be a problem. I tracked on fitday for a few days, which is nice but still kind of hard to get an accurate reading. But It looks like I've been eating around 2200-2700 on most days plus add a random 300 or so for snacks, so i figure if i spread my meals out and make the portions smaller, and throw in a lean burger and protein shakes for lifting that should be plenty in order to make the gains I'm looking for. My main intake goal would be to stay over 3000 a day. My biggest fear is gaining fat in my midsection and never having the will or discipline to cut it off, because ideally I'd like to show all core muscles, which I guess would be under about 9%, and I'm currently at about 12-14, with virtually no abdomen definition anymore.

Weight today: 162, 14.5% BF($30 scale from walmart, accurate with in +-2 I'd guess??)

So I will be posting everyday hopefully come Jan. 14th.......