The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dieting down to sub 10% BF.

Hey guys. I've got a quick question for you. Seeing as Lyle's UD 2.0 is not plausible again since school is starting up, what do you see as the most effective way to achieve, say, 7-8% BF? Getting this low without doing something like UD is very difficult for those who don't have teh gr8 genetics, so would going ultra slow (.25lbs loss a week) work effectively? I'm willing to go as slow as needed to make this happen because I'm in no rush. If you're wondering why I'm f****** around with getting this low when I'm hovering around 150, w/e. Leanness and strength are higher priorities than getting big right now.
    Thanks guys.
    Height: 5-9
    Weight:~160 @ 13-15 bf%?....starting figure after nearly a year of battling CFS/mono...so not too bad imo.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=ray34iyf
    Max Lifts:
    Don't know anymore..don't care atm.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'd stick with the UD until you reach your desired body fat level especially considering you don't care how long it will take you. Seems like the most effective way while holding on to as much muscle as you can out of any diet.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Honestly man, I'd have to say that UD is out of the question right now. For some reason I can't run a cycle anymore without feeling like absolute A$$. I had to quit last night because I couldn't take it anymore.
    Weight:~160 @ 13-15 bf%?....starting figure after nearly a year of battling CFS/mono...so not too bad imo.

Max Lifts:

UD2 isn't too bad during school.

And if it does get bad, just take more caff/eph.

You will have no problem paying attention in class and studying.

In fact, I think I did better in school while using UD2.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 01-08-2008 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ray34iyf View Post
    Honestly man, I'd have to say that UD is out of the question right now. For some reason I can't run a cycle anymore without feeling like absolute A$$. I had to quit last night because I couldn't take it anymore.
    Yes, in that case you are burned out.

Happened to me too.

That is a sign you need to eat at maintenance for some time.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 01-08-2008 at 09:48 AM.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to maintenance mode and slightly easier training for some time to recover. Feeling depressed and in general like absolute death isn't worth it.

Max Lifts:

I personally have never gotten through a depletion workout, so I'm kind of in a similar situation. I want to get down to 7-8% BF, but I really don't see myself doing UD2.0. Even with caffeine and ephedrine I couldn't get through a depletion workout.

How many people here have gotten to 7-8% without losing too much muscle mass just cutting normally?

Quote Originally Posted by KoolDrew View Post
    I personally have never gotten through a depletion workout, so I'm kind of in a similar situation. I want to get down to 7-8% BF, but I really don't see myself doing UD2.0. Even with caffeine and ephedrine I couldn't get through a depletion workout.

How many people here have gotten to 7-8% without losing too much muscle mass just cutting normally?
    The first time I tried halfway through I felt like puking. The second time I almost made it but felt too sick. A month later I tried it again and managed to pull it off without feeling too bad. It takes some conditioning.

Well, what I'm planning on doing unless someone suggests otherwise is mix a good strength gaining routine+very small deficit(.25lb loss a week)+powerful fat burner+cyclical caloric intake(more on w/o days vs less on non w/o) and hope that works. Don't get me wrong, UD 2.0 is amazing, it's just I need a break from it both physically and psychologically. My joints can only take so much pounding.

Max Lifts:

Oh please. Man-up. Yes, depletion workouts suck. But they aren't that bad.
    BRAINS.BEAUTY.BRAWN. www.brainsbeautybrawn.blogspot.com
    WILL SQUAT FOR FOOD.
    "It's not Science - it's RESULTS" - Built
    235 Dead Lift........Height: 5'7"
    125 Bench............Weight: 148 lbs
    200 Squat............Age: 33 yrs. old.
    ----------
    560 Total.............Gunning for 700 this year (while on a cut-and NOT using RESULTS)

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    The first time I tried halfway through I felt like puking. The second time I almost made it but felt too sick. A month later I tried it again and managed to pull it off without feeling too bad. It takes some conditioning.
    Makes sense. Before I've just been used to heavy low-rep workouts and never did any cardio or anything. I guess that's my problem.

Maybe I'll eat at maintenance for a bit and do some GPP / Crossfit stuff so I'm not so out of shape. Then go back to doing UD2.0.

Learning as I progress
    Possibly IF? Maybe even IF with some short and less intense depletion workouts?

A guy on BR.com did the latter while preping for modeling. I believe he hit like7-8% bf and commented on how he felt great compared to doing UD2.
    Complication breeds desperation.

Yeah I don't get the whole depletion workouts are hell thing.

Some of my best workouts ever have been depletions.

I mean, you are coming off of an immense carb-up and combining that with high reps. That's a sure fire recipe for those who love the pump.

It all works. Personally, I'm not a fan of the whole "massive carbup" thing but that's just because it sometimes makes me feel sick - I really should try it again one of these days though, I'm a lot more insulin sensitive than I used to be.

You planning on tossing some metabolic work, complexes, HIIT somewhere in there bud?

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    I'm not a fan of the whole "massive carbup" thing
    Blasphemy!!

Do what Im doing.

Give carbs the finger.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

two words...interval training. once or twice a week. you'd rather be dead every time a new interval starts though! it works wonders. hit up the ab's diet bullseye on menshealth

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Schaedle View Post

You will have no problem paying attention in class and studying.

In fact, I think I did better in school while using UD2.
    Same here.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

I think it's probably more of a thing that UD2 just ended up burning me out. I did 4-5 successful cycles of it a few months ago, and then proceeded to spin my wheels for multiple weeks trying to break the 10% threshold...it's totally my fault for not being strict enough on the carbloads and diet variable days...I then ended up burning out and took some time off. Now everytime I've tried doing a few more cycles I feel like such death that I can't take it. I think I just need an extended break from dieting and need to eat at maintenance for a while...get that strength up. I don't know, we'll see.

Max Lifts:

Ehh..fu** it. I'm entering the world of overtraining and I can feel it. I think I'm going to take a complete week off(trained today which was stoopid because I feel like complete a$$ now) eating at maintenance, then train submaximally for a few weeks and then get to my 7%. If I weren't an idiot I would have taken time off long before and would already be at 7%.

Max Lifts:

Why do you have such an urge to be lower than 10%? Getting big=strength. The amount of time you spend trying to get lower than 10% you could have done a bulk and got back down to 10% and look better than before and be stronger.

And if you want to get stronger and lose weight screw UD2.0 and just diet down normally with a good routine.

I set getting down that low as a goal a while ago and I always like to follow through on stuff like that...plus I'm just curious to see whether or not I can do it....eh, I'm taking time off until atleast next Monday so I'll take the next few days to figure out what I want to do.

Max Lifts:

Do you feel now that you were educated enough to make such a decision?

Quote Originally Posted by ray34iyf View Post
    I set getting down that low as a goal a while ago and I always like to follow through on stuff like that...plus I'm just curious to see whether or not I can do it....eh, I'm taking time off until atleast next Monday so I'll take the next few days to figure out what I want to do.
    Give the gain version of UD2 a try.

Overall daily average of calories is still 100cals more than maintance so you won't see adverse effects (fat gain).