The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

I weigh 282 lbs.

I used to play sports, etc... Then I pretty much let myself go, physically. I'm 5'9 and I weigh 282 lbs. What's the safest (not necessarily fastest) way to turn some of this weight into muscle -- and also slim up by dieting and exercise?

What kind of diet should I be pursuing -- and what kind of exercise?

Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If you want to lose weight "safely" then you should not lose more than 2lbs per week.
    The problem that most people have with that is that they are too impatient and don't stick with it.
    But doing it that way is not only going to be less detrimental to you to making strength gains while you lose weight, but doing it that way also helps you avoid having your body go into "starvation mode" causing your metabolism to slow down more which makes it even harder to lose weight.

The way to lose 1 to 2 pounds per week without causing metabolism problems is simply by changing some of your habits. Don't cut out meals, just lighten up on the portions. Choose slightly less junk food and high calorie foods. Basically, you really just want to drop the number of calories you take in on a consistent long term basis, you don't want to start "a diet"
    Last edited by zen; 01-09-2008 at 07:08 AM.
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'

Well lets start with this... What's your diet and exercise regiment like right now?

www.fitday.com is going to be your best friend while you're dieting and there are lots of great routines floating around here (Search for WBB routines or Baby Got Back)
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

you don't want to diet. you want to change your eating habits, to something you can stick to....for life.

it was your lifestyle that got you to 282lbs, so your lifestyle has to change to get it back down.

also not to nit-pick, but Zen's math is a little off. If you did average 2lbs per week, that's 104lbs lost in one year.
    Being more realistic, say you average 1.5lbs a week...that's still 70+ lbs in a year, which is going to be pretty significant.

other than that, you need to learn some basic nutrition strategies, and I also suggest fitday.com to get a handle on how much you're eating. a good digital kitchen scale, and use of measuring cups and spoons also helps in the beginning. Over time you'll be able to accurately eyeball your portions, which makes it easier and you feel more relaxed about your eating.