Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Facebook Group: Advocates of Liberty

My Facebook Group: Advocates of Liberty

http://usc.facebook.com/group.php?gid=9139071058

So basically in the Ron Paul movement on Facebook we had (and still do have) a very large group with over 63,000 people in it. Many of the more prominent and active members had been talking about what we could possibly do to keep the freedom movement up and running after Ron Paul so a few of them and I created a new Facebook group that is more all-encompassing for people who like to advocate and discuss liberty. The group is aptly named "Advocates of Liberty" and it is open to people of all cultures and backgrounds who are interested in the message of freedom.

Feel free to join but let me caution that the discussions we have in the group are very serious and not for those people out there who have their brains turned off. I started the group just a couple days ago and already have a few hundred people in it. The members are some of the most intelligent and enthusiastic people I know when it comes to political theory and just ethics in general. We'll be working hard to get the group to keep growing and eventually would like to take steps into the realm of a more renowned movement with newsletters, podcasts, and maybe even eventually a PAC. These sorts of things are still a ways off but that's just one more reason to make sure you join the movement early on!

So to all of you out there with Facebook profiles feel free to join the group (link above) and let your mind wander. The admins, including myself, are dedicated to ensuring that the group maintains its integrity and stays professional.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

good group...i like it

bumped

I would join if I had facebook. I am a canadian btw.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    bumped

I would join if I had facebook. I am a canadian btw.
    Kinda random that you would join the group without checking it out. Even if you're Canadian it's really easy for someone to join Facebook and I've been seeing more and more non-students join the website. I definitely feel like it's laying down the smack on MySpace these days.

Seriously for any of you guys with Facebook come out and join the group. It's a very interesting place for intellectuals and freedom-lovers.

PS What does being Canadian have to do with anything?
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

"You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Paul has facebook?!

Haha he sure does. I've had him as a friend for awhile now.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia View Post
    Kinda random that you would join the group without checking it out. Even if you're Canadian it's really easy for someone to join Facebook and I've been seeing more and more non-students join the website. I definitely feel like it's laying down the smack on MySpace these days.

Seriously for any of you guys with Facebook come out and join the group. It's a very interesting place for intellectuals and freedom-lovers.

PS What does being Canadian have to do with anything?
    I would have joined based on your initial description. Also I was stating I'm Canadian to show members of others countries are interested as well. Now this may already be the case but because I am not part of the group I wasn't sure.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by KingJustin View Post
    Paul has facebook?!
    Hey, I can be one of the cool kids.

I joined a few months ago after reading about it in the WSJ. Instantly reconnected with a couple of people I hadn't talked to in ages.

Send me a friend request. If you meet my remarkably low standards*, well, you can be recognized all over teh internets as my 'friend'.

*Standards:
    1) Sent friend request
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 01-15-2008 at 12:19 PM.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

It's a very interesting place for intellectuals and freedom-lovers.
    ?
    Just wondering, is it a group of Atheists/Anarchists predominantly?
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

I certainly hope so.

They have the best parties.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hatfield View Post
    I have no idea what people's religions are. In fact the topic hasn't even come up yet but I doubt the majority are atheists since many of the members came from the Ron Paul group.

There are definitely some anarchists but it's not like I can go through all 350+ members and find out what demographic each individual is a part of. Again most people came from the RP group so I'm thinking most would be Constitutionalists and minarchists. I don't know, everyone's just dedicated toward seeking the truth so labeling everyone else isn't the best way to go about things. If you want to know stuff about the group then check out the boards there.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

hmm, I like to be big!!!

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

I guess I should elaborate on this. I, personally, am both the things you mentioned but the group is dedicated solely to the advocacy of liberty. This is to say that we do not endorse or affiliate ourselves with things that people do outside the realm of philosophy pertaining to freedom. We were sure to pick a broad and neutral name for the group since the name is the first thing most people will see and we did not want to alienate any demographic from the start. Basically if anyone has anything to say about liberty then they are welcome to join the group and express their ideas.

With regards to religion I've already talked to the other admins in the group and if people want to have *respectful* religious debate then that will *probably* be allowed but ad hominem attacks on people will absolutely not be tolerated. I say "probably" because if the topic of religion is brought up and it really is not linked to liberty in any sort of way then the admins could mark the post as "irrelevant" (which hides the post but doesn't delete it, people have to click "show post" to take a look at it, kinda like YouTube comments). Thus far all the members in the group have been respectful of one another and it doesn't seem like anyone wants to open up the Pandora's Box that is religious debate. Members value the group more than to let a somewhat arbitrary topic like religious beliefs get in the way.

As for anarchists, I am an anarcho-capitalist but the majority of people in the group consider themselves Constitutionalists or Minarchists. Don't let the word "anarchy" freak you out at face value like it does to most people. Most a/c on a philosophical level but not naive enough to think we could have the government vanish today and it'd be some utopia. Most anarcho-capitalists are such because they have decided that the initiation of force, aggression, and violence against someone is morally unjustifiable. When you consider the government by definition maintains a monopoly on the initiation of force then philosophically can you defend it? Granted you may disagree with my assertion that government = force but most people I know who have sat down and thought about it agree on this... but they still disagree on practicality or alternatives.

Philosophically speaking if you believe the initiation of aggression or force is morally wrong then the next logical step is simply that the government is morally wrong. If you think it is wrong to initiate force then philosophically speaking you are an anarchist. Most people might not know it but they are *philosophically* anarchists. I personally believe this but I still pay my taxes and obey laws because of several reasons:
    a.) I want to be able to enjoy my life with what freedoms I *do* have
    b.) for a government to be *violently* destroyed with anarchy left in its place would mean anarchists would possibly be compromising their own integrity (which is something that every intelligent person should value immensely)
    c.) the best way to bring about good change in the long-term is to do so through intellectual means... a non-violent revolution is almost unanimously the primary goal for all anarchists.

The term "anarchy" conjures up all types of horrible images mostly as substitutes for "chaos" but what the good types of anarchists are, are people who would just like to see people live their lives freely. Don't get fooled by Ted Kaczynski (unabomber), any anarchist who can be taken seriously will abide by the non-aggression principle (the philosophical core premise of libertarianism in general).

I have read up on dozens of theories as to what society would look like in the absence of a coercive government. It's fun to speculate and we try our best to use simple reasoning to argue our points and try to find some truth in this world. I'm the type of anarchist you will find in that group and as long as you keep an open mind then you don't have anything to fear in the group. You just might learn a thing or two!
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

interesting that a place with 'intellectuals and freedom-lovers' populating it conjures up "atheists/anarchists" automatically like that.
    Go now, run along and tell your xerxes he faces free men here, not slaves

D'Anconia, have we discussed on this board the argument that anarcho-capitalism ultimately results in fascism?

Quote Originally Posted by jdeity View Post
    interesting that a place with 'intellectuals and freedom-lovers' populating it conjures up "atheists/anarchists" automatically like that.
    He's openly both, so I was wondering if a group started by him was predominately those that follow his general lines of thinking. That said, not so interesting a question.

EDIT:: were you trying to insinuate i like to associate freedom lovers with anarchists?
    Last edited by SW; 01-16-2008 at 05:12 PM.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Philosophically speaking if you believe the initiation of aggression or force is morally wrong then the next logical step is simply that the government is morally wrong.
    Kylan, have you considered that it's not an initiation of force if the ground they take is already ceded by the constituents? That is, think of the old men in suits (the government) as our employees. For every drug they confiscate or gun they force you to register, is it really the initiation of force if you contracted them for that very purpose?

I guess where I'm going with this is- is someone assaulting you if you ask them to punch you in the face?
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

Quote Originally Posted by jdeity View Post
    I agree. I don't know how those ideas can even be equated. Freedom and intellectualism has nothing to do with atheism. In fact the only form of Government with atheism as its underlining is communism, which is the absolute opposite of what's being discussed.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Organichu View Post
    Kylan, have you considered that it's not an initiation of force if the ground they take is already ceded by the constituents? That is, think of the old men in suits (the government) as our employees. For every drug they confiscate or gun they force you to register, is it really the initiation of force if you contracted them for that very purpose?

I guess where I'm going with this is- is someone assaulting you if you ask them to punch you in the face?
    51% of the population don't have the right to "employ" the government and strip the rights away from 49%.

Just because the majority of people support taking away someone's rights, it doesn't mean the person who's rights are being taken away supports it. It is just as wrong for 1 person to steal the rights of another as it is for 10 people to take the rights of that person.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=1

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyK View Post
    I agree. I don't know how those ideas can even be equated. Freedom and intellectualism has nothing to do with atheism. In fact the only form of Government with atheism as its underlining is communism, which is the absolute opposite of what's being discussed.
    Although I doubt there's any way to actually prove this, I would bet there is a very strong correlation between libertarianism and atheism.

Although I doubt there's any way to actually prove this, I would bet there is a very strong correlation between libertarianism and atheism.
    I agree. The same can be said for conservatism and Christianity, the founding ideals go hand in hand.

My Exploits

51% of the population don't have the right to "employ" the government and strip the rights away from 49%.

Just because the majority of people support taking away someone's rights, it doesn't mean the person who's rights are being taken away supports it. It is just as wrong for 1 person to steal the rights of another as it is for 10 people to take the rights of that person.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=1
    I'm sorry, how does that argument lead to supporting Ron Paul?
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

He's openly both, so I was wondering if a group started by him was predominately those that follow his general lines of thinking. That said, not so interesting a question.
    Didn't know that he was openly both (upon re-reading thread I see that's the case), so yeah, that being said, not as interesting lol.

EDIT:: were you trying to insinuate i like to associate freedom lovers with anarchists?
    I was, upon reading your post that's the impression I got. He mentions a group with the theme of liberty, your first reply was about whether it's just a bunch of atheists/anarchists.
    Go now, run along and tell your xerxes he faces free men here, not slaves

Quote Originally Posted by Organichu View Post
    I'm sorry, how does that argument lead to supporting Ron Paul?
    Ron Paul isn't a perfect example of a libertarian, but he supports ending drug prohibition and getting rid of the IRS ... and drastically reducing taxes in general.

What in there contradicts Ron Paul's message?