Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Has anyone else read this book yet? Apparently it's one of the best sellers right now and after reading Dawkins' "The Selfish Gene" a few months ago I decided to give "The God Delusion" a try.
    Sure enough I found it to be an excellent book. When reading Dawkins' books I felt a little bit nervous about how easy it is to believe Dawkins' arguments but my fears were quenched when I found out that Dawkins has won several accolades as an author and intellectual and was recently voted as England's top intellectual by Prospect magazine (which deals mainly with politics culture).
    As usual, Dawkins has a great grasp at logic and rationale which makes his book pretty easy to read.

I'm stuck here in Australia and have been waiting on standby for my United Airlines flight for 4 days in a row. During my 1st day waiting I decided to buy this 375 page book and had no problem finishing it within two days.
    If you're an agnostic or atheist then you will probably find this book very comforting but if you have been brought up in a religious household or believe in your organized religion then you will probably loathe this book and shun all of its arguments.

http://www.amazon.com/God-Delusion-R...e=UTF8&s=books

Has anyone else read this book yet? Just wanted to know what others think of it and wanted to recommend it to those who have not yet read it.

I was about to recommend this book to my father who, while not very religious, still holds Christian values but I'm wondering whether that might be a bad idea...
    Last edited by d'Anconia; 12-04-2006 at 12:55 AM.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Wannabebig New Member
    You are going to hell bro ... I'll pray for you right now and later tonite for your salvation .

As a matter of fact let me whip you up a batch right now online .

God , please have mercy on d'Anconias soul . He knows not what he does .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

I haven't read that book, but I am currently reading the Blind Watchmaker. I plan to read ALL his books as soon as I can. Excellent writer, amazing intellect. He's definitely making me think about things I had never considered.

I will pick this one up too.

Perhaps start him with something different, like the River Out of Eden or Blind Watchmaker.
    Please, no prayers for me.
    Last edited by betastas; 12-04-2006 at 02:25 PM.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Haven't read this one yet.
    Blindwatchmaker is good, although it gets rather repetitive, (it has to). Dawkins does a really good job of taking complex ideas and expressing them in a way that is very accessible.

This thread is going to turn into a horrid debate.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Haven't read it, but going to check it out. I find it fascinating that a lot of atheists find religion to be the root of violence in the world, but not atheism as a root of violence. Its the hot thing, since we have a religious crusader in the white house and islamic militants everywhere else it appears. There are plenty of non-religious violent leaders -- Stalin, Hitler, Lenin, Mao, Tojo etc.etc.etc. I am not saying religion doesn't play a role, crusades, jesuits, jihad, Bush but there are just as many incidents of atheists in power that cause violence. Granted I haven't read it yet, but I am looking forward to it.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Many years ago, people spent their lives searching for answers. Now it seems, people are spending their lives searching for questions.

the answer to everything is to get laid and play video games afterwards and eat pizza feeling good because the sex burned off all the pizzacalories that comes down.
    Last edited by Rock; 12-04-2006 at 03:52 PM.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by galileo View Post
    Many years ago, people spent their lives searching for answers. Now it seems, people are spending their lives searching for questions.
    Or big screen TVs. I want 1080p.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash View Post
    Or big screen TVs. I want 1080p.
    Already acquired that, now life is meaningless. Meaningless, but with unmatched clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    Haven't read it, but going to check it out. I find it fascinating that a lot of atheists find religion to be the root of violence in the world, but not atheism as a root of violence. Its the hot thing, since we have a religious crusader in the white house and islamic militants everywhere else it appears. There are plenty of non-religious violent leaders -- Stalin, Hitler, Lenin, Mao, Tojo etc.etc.etc. I am not saying religion doesn't play a role, crusades, jesuits, jihad, Bush but there are just as many incidents of atheists in power that cause violence. Granted I haven't read it yet, but I am looking forward to it.
    Yeah, but have the atheist violent leaders used atheism as a reason for violence in the way violent religious leaders have used their religions?
    Last edited by DokterVet; 12-04-2006 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DokterVet View Post
    Yeah, but have the atheist violent leaders used atheism as a reason for violence in the way violent religious leaders have used their religions?
    Science damn you!

South park!
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Dawkins can't be that smart if he didn't realize Mrs. Garrison used to be a man...
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Hehehehe I love that whole Mr.Garrison is gay but hates gay people and would never admit it but its still gay and theres tons of guys like him out there.

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    Well I think we can all agree that just about ANY major group will have its bad apples. Dawkins even deals with your argument a little in The God Delusion.
    Stalin was definitely Atheist but, as was said above, his motives for causing harm to people I don't think quite stem from his atheism. Apparently as a child he went to religious schools, etc and was turned off by it enough to find delight in how much his declared atheism emotionally pained his mother.
    As for Hitler, there are just as many quotes of him saying that he IS religious as there are saying that he IS NOT religious. Either way, one many by himself can't kill millions... it takes a country to follow the man and carry out his wishes. Germany at the time was primarily Christian (and Catholic, since Catholicism is sometimes not considered a part of Christianity).
    Even if you count those atheists as terrible rulers, religious zealots outnumber them at least 10:1 throughout history.

Although Dawkins talks a lot lot lot about Christianity in the book, I actually found what he had to say about Islam to be of more 'urgent' importance. I'd talk more about it but I don't know what the proper etiquette is for "spoilers" regarding books (wtf the book doesn't even have a plot, I don't know... I'm typing this from some kiosk in Sydney airport and just want to finally get back home).
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    Hehehehe I love that whole Mr.Garrison is gay but hates gay people and would never admit it but its still gay and theres tons of guys like him out there.
    Yeah it cracks me up every time I see the scenario. Willem Dafoe in 'Boondock Saints' did a pretty good job at it.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Humans will always fight about anything. It really doesn't matter about the religion, it's just another thing to fight about anyways.

I like Dawkins because he introduces plenty of intelligent topics to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia View Post
    Yeah it cracks me up every time I see the scenario. Willem Dafoe in 'Boondock Saints' did a pretty good job at it.
    Awesome movie.

I think it is easy to pile on religion since pretty much every society has religion and it is religion that forms a lot of societies beliefs, laws and even government. Its real easy to blame it.

I think you have to look at animals in the wild. They will kill one another for their territory. or go out to the bar on Friday night, guys get in fights b/c some guy cuts in front of them in the pisser line. Humans are instinctually violent.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    the answer to everything is to get laid and play video games afterwards and eat pizza feeling good because the sex burned off all the pizzacalories that comes down.
    Food, sex, sleep, video games, lifting, and drinking. Not in any particular order. These are the meaning of life.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    Food, sex, sleep, video games, lifting, and drinking. Not in any particular order. These are the meaning of life.
    You missed drugs.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

^Aaaaaaaaahaahahahhahaha you totally took the words out of my mouth. I have known no time more fun than taking large amounts of ecstasy. Of course I've also never felt as menstrual as the day after...
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by DokterVet View Post
    No, instead they used not having blond hair and blue eyes a reason to kill. Or a persons religion to kill.

PS: I don't slam atheists when I talk. But I do preach the Gospel, as I have been asked to do by God. I would appreciate it if more would be willing to say something about the book and not slam Christians. And the same goes for Christians wanting to slam atheists. Don't do it. It seems everything that can turn into an argument.
    Last edited by sharkall2003; 12-05-2006 at 07:41 AM.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003 View Post
    No, instead they used not having blond hair and blue eyes a reason to kill. Or a persons religion to kill. I guess they aren't much better.
    There was a quote I heard recently which I thought was kind of funny. I'll try not to butcher it, but I am paraphrasing.

There will always be good people who do good things, and bad people who do bad things in the name of atheism. There will always be good people who do good things, and bad people who do bad things in the name of religion. But for good people to do bad things, that takes religion.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    There was a quote I heard recently which I thought was kind of funny. I'll try not to butcher it, but I am paraphrasing.

There will always be good people who do good things, and bad people who do bad things in the name of atheism. There will always be good people who do good things, and bad people who do bad things in the name of religion. But for good people to do bad things, that takes religion.
    A truly good Catholic would not take the life of another, or cause bodily harm unless he/she (themselves) were in immediate danger of their life.

That sure is putting a lot of blame on religion. But, we all have our own beliefs. Also, there have been many bad people that have done good things. And sometimes that took religion.

I've read a lot on of material on evolution, and existence. I find much of it to be very possible. But my own actions and experiences have brought God into my life. If one chooses not to believe, that's just fine.
    Last edited by sharkall2003; 12-05-2006 at 07:57 AM.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003 View Post
    A truly good Catholic would not take the life of another, or cause bodily harm unless he/she (themselves) were in immediate danger of their life.

That sure is putting a lot of blame on religion. But, we all have our own beliefs. Also, there have been many bad people that have done good things. And sometimes that took religion.

I've read a lot on of material on evolution, and existence. I find much of it to be very possible. But my own actions and experiences have brought God into my life. If one chooses not to believe, that's just fine.
    FYI, I don't believe that quote -- good people (whatever that is) can do bad things without religious motivation/justification -- I just thought it was funny.

I recognize that religion has done alot for the world and for many individuals. I am not opposed to it, it is just not for me.

Edit: back on topic, I may give this book a read because this is an issue that has been on my mind alot lately.
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 12-05-2006 at 08:09 AM.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur