Thread: Effective strength training and also weight loss?

Wannabebig New Member

Effective strength training and also weight loss?

I'm a college discus thrower so I need to be strong and do weight training. I also need to maintain a healthy, toned body for throwing and also for me personally. I'm concerned about loosing muscle when I do cardio. I heard from a nutritionist you need 25 grams of protein and 50-100 grams of quality carbs within 30 mins. of the weight training workout.

I lift in the morning. Then I have regular throws practice around 2:00. I'd usually be doing cardio after dinner and about 7:00-8:00 in the evening. Will the cardio take away from the weight lifting I did earlier in the day and what should I do with food to prevent muscle loss? Would the 25 grams of protein/ 50-100 grams of carbs apply to after the cardio too? I have the weight training, throws practice, and cardio spread out throughout the day so I'm hoping it'll allow proper time for recovery and minimize muscle loss. Any suggestions for my workout plan? Thank you.

According to Berardi and others, you should have a roughly 2:1 "fast" carbrotein mix before/during the workout and then another one within an hour after finishing.

If your cardio consists of HIIT, I'm pretty sure you'd feed it the same way. To prevent muscle loss, eat a lot of lean proteins. If you're doing a lot of steady state for your cardio, then consider 1.5g/lb of lean mass.

Only you can figure out what's going to work for you, I highly suggest reading as much here and at the main site as possible. There are several routines that are written out, and they're all pretty good. Find one that fits your schedule and how you want to work.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.