The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

During a PSMF....

Is it ok on a PSMF to throw in a refeed day or two on the weekends to help restore glycogen? I go out on the weekends and wouldn't mind being able to eat a few extra carbs :-). Figured it would be kind of the same concept as DiPasquele had with the anabolic diet (also very low-carb)
    On the road to gettn huge!!!

"Tryin to pimp a pimp B!tch that's a no-no"

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Depends on if you are a Cat. 1 or Cat. 2 dieter. If you're Cat. 1, no. If you are Cat. 2 - you get one free meal and one 5 hour refeed per week.
    BRAINS.BEAUTY.BRAWN. www.brainsbeautybrawn.blogspot.com
    WILL SQUAT FOR FOOD.
    "It's not Science - it's RESULTS" - Built
    235 Dead Lift........Height: 5'7"
    125 Bench............Weight: 148 lbs
    200 Squat............Age: 33 yrs. old.
    ----------
    560 Total.............Gunning for 700 this year (while on a cut-and NOT using RESULTS)

If you read the book you would know the answer.

Over 25% bf you dont need to, under 12% you do, in between not really. I dont know if my numbers are perfect but read the book!

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    If you read the book you would know the answer.

Over 25% bf you dont need to, under 12% you do, in between not really. I dont know if my numbers are perfect but read the book!

Um, no.

As a Category 3 - above 34% bf you get two free meals and no refeeds.

As a Category 2 - which is 25%-34% bf you get one free meal and one 5 hour refeed.

As a Category 1 - which is under 25% bf you do the PSMF straight 11-12 days and you get a UD2.0 style refeed at the end - but that's it.
    Last edited by BBB; 01-09-2008 at 01:48 PM.
    WILL SQUAT FOR FOOD.
    ----------
    560 Total.............Gunning for 700 this year (while on a cut-and NOT using RESULTS)

Phatboy
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Um, no.

As a Category 2 - which is 25%-34% bf you get one free meal and one 5 hour refeed.

As a Category 1 - which is under 25% bf you do the PSMF straight 11-12 days and you get a UD2.0 style refeed at the end - but that's it.
    FYI, these percentages are for women. The mens percentages are different (lower), basically subtract 10 from the numbers above. The rest of the info is accurate. Though you should really read the book (and buy it).
    Last edited by phatmike; 01-09-2008 at 02:24 PM.

Phatboy
    Also, you could look into UD2, it could fit a little better given your weekend setup. Same author.

Um, no.

Yeh im talking about men here. A man around 25% doesnt really need a refeed... I dont think ive ever been above 20% bf and I was quite chubby.

I'm sorry. I'm used to dealing with a board full of women, lol.
    WILL SQUAT FOR FOOD.
    ----------

Banned
    Here's some advice, put the fork down and exercise more. It's really that simple.

Edit: Rhodes can be a dick but the man's right. -infraction for disrespect.`~Hatred
    Last edited by Hatred; 01-11-2008 at 12:02 PM.
    On the road to gettn huge!!!

"Tryin to pimp a pimp B!tch that's a no-no"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CaLLmeAhNuLd View Post
    you cn stick a fork up your ass for all i care
    Well, keep making this stuff more complicated than it is. I don't care if you're fat your whole life.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    Here's some advice, put the fork down and exercise more. It's really that simple.
    I'm with Rhodes on this one...

I see all the posts about UD2.0, PSMF, and other extreme dieting techniques and I just don't get it. Unless you're trying to step on stage I HIGHLY doubt this **** is necessary.

You're torturing yourself when you could probably achieve pretty similar results with a standard diet (aka slight calorie reduction) and a little added cardio.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    I'm with Rhodes on this one...

I see all the posts about UD2.0, PSMF, and other extreme dieting techniques and I just don't get it. Unless you're trying to step on stage I HIGHLY doubt this **** is necessary.

You're torturing yourself when you could probably achieve pretty similar results with a standard diet (aka slight calorie reduction) and a little added cardio.
    That would be too simple and easy. That way, if they fail, they can blame everything else except themselves.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    What's funny is in Lyle's literature he even says up front:

" Until a certain point anything will work" "No need to overcomplicate things. "
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatred View Post
    What's funny is in Lyle's literature he even says up front:

" Until a certain point anything will work" "No need to overcomplicate things. "
    Haha that's awesome.
    Full Powerlifting
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)

I am not defending anyone or anything thing when i say this, but it seems as though some people require some sort of complicated, regimented, disciplined diet/training in order to actually stick with something.

I say do whatever is best personally to reach goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Schaedle View Post
    I am not defending anyone or anything thing when i say this, but it seems as though some people require some sort of complicated, regimented, disciplined diet/training in order to actually stick with something.

I say do whatever is best personally to reach goals.
    What about when they've reached their goals?

They've learned nothing about eating well and maintaining a healthy diet. If they can't function on a normal diet won't they just end up gaining all the weight back anyway?
    Full Powerlifting

Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    What about when they've reached their goals?

They've learned nothing about eating well and maintaining a healthy diet. If they can't function on a normal diet won't they just end up gaining all the weight back anyway?
    If they do not keep a handle on things, then yes, I see it very likely that they would rebound in the opposite direction.

I don't think extreme diet techniques are bad, but if one isn't familiar with standard dieting and the things you've mentioned, they have no business employing those techniques.

You will see similar philosophy here in our anabolic forums.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 01-11-2008 at 02:53 PM.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    I 100% totally agree with this. Great post.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

A general lifestyle change would better fit this individual. I think PSMF should be reserved to those people who are in immeadiate danger because of their weight and need to lose about in the hundreds of lbs. just to be considered "obese".
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

I totally disagree with that. There's nothing wrong with a little stint on a PSMF to kick start a diet, or just get results fast. You don't have to have a ton of weight to loose to make it worthwhile.

Now, if you're already lean, then it's counter productive since the leaner you get the harder it becomes to hold on to lbm.

I do agree that it's probably not the diet of choice for people who just don't know the basics of dieting though.
    WILL SQUAT FOR FOOD.
    ----------

I totally disagree with that. There's nothing wrong with a little stint on a PSMF to kick start a diet, or just get results fast. You don't have to have a ton of weight to loose to make it worthwhile.
    I agree with this. If you're fat, an extreme diet would definitely get the ball rolling and provide great results. However, if you don't have a plan for heading into the next phase, you're just ****ing yourself.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

I did a PSMF on my first cut. I knew how to eat and followed it well. Got decent results but I dont think I had enough muscle to justify it though.

Now, if you're already lean, then it's counter productive since the leaner you get the harder it becomes to hold on to lbm.

I do agree that it's probably not the diet of choice for people who just don't know the basics of dieting though.
    It has its uses in a lot of places. However for this individual I'd still give the advice of changing his lifestyle before attempting extreme diets such as psmf.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    I did a PSMF on my first cut. I knew how to eat and followed it well. Got decent results but I dont think I had enough muscle to justify it though.
    It's probably more likely that you weren't really fat enough than you didn't have enough muscle. The really big results will always come from the chubmonsters..
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.