The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

indomitable will.

Anyone ever do lunges (or split squats) in a rack? Is it possible?

Just mentioned this in my journal, but I guess I'll do it again so as to look like a dick to a larger number of people.

Today while doing barbell lunges, I somehow managed to press myself back up either too hard or to fast or without getting my back foot set right or something else or a combination of a few things and... long story short... fell backwards on my ass like an idiot.

I'm alright, nothing hurts other than my ego. The thing is though, this is going to **** with me mentally the next time(s) I do lunges. I can tell already it's all I'm going to be thinking about during every single rep. This of course sucks. Then I had an idea and wanted to know if anyone has ever tried it and was able to do it.

Right now I do lunges in something that looks like this:

Because there is no back, I was able to fall over backwards.

My gym also has a rack like this:

This has a back and seems a bit safer. The only problem is I never used this for lunges because I never thought you could actually do lunges in this due to a lack of space between the back and front.

So, I was wondering if anyone has ever done lunges (or even barbell split squats?) in a rack like this? If so, was it doable?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I've never done them in a rack. I usually do them walking. What kind of shoes are you using? They might not be very stable. That was a big problem for me in the past.

Banned
    I have done them in a power rack - but I am a shorty and dont have much distance to travel

Are you worried about falling forward too, or just backward?

indomitable will.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    I've never done them in a rack. I usually do them walking. What kind of shoes are you using? They might not be very stable. That was a big problem for me in the past.
    I wear your basic Nike something or other. Nothing too crazy or anything. But it didn't even seem like a shoe problem. It was just like I pushed backed up off the one leg a bit too hard/fast and the other foot couldn't support me enough and I just kept going... and with the weight on my back it only pulled me backwards more. So gay... I'll never get this out of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by 90kg_pwrlftr View Post
    I have done them in a power rack - but I am a shorty and dont have much distance to travel
    Ha, yeah. I'm about 5'11 which is far from really tall, but still, it just seems so small in the rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Doobs View Post
    Are you worried about falling forward too, or just backward?
    Pretty much just backwards, I guess. If I fell forward the bar would get caught by the sides of the rack. But, with nothing behind me, there's nothing to catch the bar if I went backwards, as I now embarrassingly know.

Quote Originally Posted by Outshine View Post
    I wear your basic Nike something or other. Nothing too crazy or anything. But it didn't even seem like a shoe problem. It was just like I pushed backed up off the one leg a bit too hard/fast and the other foot couldn't support me enough and I just kept going... and with the weight on my back it only pulled me backwards more. So gay... I'll never get this out of my head.
    Heh. I started a thread a while back about how I fell backward while squatting 225. I thought I was going to get kicked out of the gym. Everybody does stupid stuff now and then.

Now, are you lunging forward and then pushing off with your front leg to the starting position? You may not be generating enough speed with your front leg. The lunge is meant to work primarily the front leg, not the back one.

indomitable will.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    Heh. I started a thread a while back about how I fell backward while squatting 225. I thought I was going to get kicked out of the gym. Everybody does stupid stuff now and then.

Now, are you lunging forward and then pushing off with your front leg to the starting position? You may not be generating enough speed with your front leg. The lunge is meant to work primarily the front leg, not the back one.
    Always happy to hear that I'm not the only dumbass.

Yup, I'm lunging forward with one leg and then pushing back to the starting position, then lunging forward with the other leg and then pushing back to the starting position. I'm pretty much doing what this guy is doing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2je8EK0Uk8

I've been doing lunges for months with no problem (started with just the bar, now I'm at about 120-125lbs for sets of 6-8). I think if anything I may have generated a little too much speed and it tipped me backwards, and my back foot wasn't in a sturdy enough position to support me. Or something like that.

Always happy to hear that I'm not the only dumbass.

Yup, I'm lunging forward with one leg and then pushing back to the starting position, then lunging forward with the other leg and then pushing back to the starting position. I'm pretty much doing what this guy is doing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2je8EK0Uk8

I've been doing lunges for months with no problem (started with just the bar, now I'm at about 120-125lbs for sets of 6-8). I think if anything I may have generated a little too much speed and it tipped me backwards, and my back foot wasn't in a sturdy enough position to support me. Or something like that.
    I think you may just need to pace yourself a little bit better. Have you been increasing the weight steadily on that exercise? Were you fatigued from another exercise before doing them?

Pretty much just backwards, I guess. If I fell forward the bar would get caught by the sides of the rack. But, with nothing behind me, there's nothing to catch the bar if I went backwards, as I now embarrassingly know.
    Well I was going to say you can just turn around. You might still be able to dump the bar on the lower supports when you go forward on that rack. Split squats would be no problem in the cage, or you can get some straps and use DBs