The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Tell me if you think I am overthinking!

Well I think I used to overthink my workouts cause I was so obsessive about how close my weights had to be to perfect. I decided I needed to make sure all my weights have to be so intense and perfect that I would go to workout and I would have to hit up every exercise with one set before I actually would workout cause I was worried that my weights would not be close enough on each exercise if I worked out each exercise one by one. I also was hitting everything so hard that I would not be using proper form and I was tiring out early before I would do other exercises and thats what originally lead me to being so obsessive about my weights and worrying I would not being hitting enough wait.

Can I get some advice so I will quit overthinking it and will quit worrying that if I hit a few exercises it will affect the weights at which I hit my other exercises. Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by tech5387 View Post
    Well I think I used to overthink my workouts cause I was so obsessive about how close my weights had to be to perfect. I decided I needed to make sure all my weights have to be so intense and perfect that I would go to workout and I would have to hit up every exercise with one set before I actually would workout cause I was worried that my weights would not be close enough on each exercise if I worked out each exercise one by one. I also was hitting everything so hard that I would not be using proper form and I was tiring out early before I would do other exercises and thats what originally lead me to being so obsessive about my weights and worrying I would not being hitting enough wait.

Can I get some advice so I will quit overthinking it and will quit worrying that if I hit a few exercises it will affect the weights at which I hit my other exercises. Thanks

You're going to have to clarify that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    You're going to have to clarify that for me.
    +1...
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Pick up a weight, lift , lift for your desired rep range and make sure you work, work really hard.
    Always keep good form.

Dont worry

Your worrying too much
    Train,train hard.Eat,eat lots and sleep even more.

Wannabebig Member
    Basically I am over obsesive about how hard my weights were instead of concentrating on proper form and such. I used to worry that if I hit a couple exercises they would hinder me to hit up my full potential on my last exercise just cause I slacked off a few times so then I started doing the procedure listed above where I would have to check one set on every exercise before I was supposabley worn out. I know it sounds ridiculous.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks thats what I thought krboyd7!

As i posted above.

While lifting and keeping good form you slowly learn how many reps you are capeable of lifting with a certain weight.
    All i would do is,train, document your lifts, keep working hard and aim to push out more reps over a period of time.
    Next slowly increase the weight and repeat.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks again I was overthinking when I used to train like this. It was a bad time with my ocd issues. lol I kept thinking little things would affect how much I was lifting when its not a science.

Wannabebig Member
    Keep in mind I was working out so hard before that I would get tired really quick. lol

Make sure you dont overtrain.
    Your body will soon tell you...
    Hows your training split?

Wannabebig Member
    maybe a day on with a day or two off.

wait... what?
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Quote Originally Posted by tech5387 View Post
    maybe a day on with a day or two off.
    Meaning you don't follow a program?

There's problem #1.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Do yourself a big favor... go to this link:
    http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2007/...baby-got-back/

Read it, learn it, live it... then DO THAT ROUTINE. It's a good split and you'll get good results.

As for the AMOUNT of weight you should be lifting, it will vary from exercise to exercise, but you should always lift enough weight with proper form that you can ALMOST finish your last set, but not completely. So if you're doing 3 sets of 8 reps, you should be able to complete 8 reps, 7 reps, 6 reps... or 8, 8, 7 or the like. If you can finish all reps of all sets with good form, it's time to up the amount of weight you are lifting for that particular exercise.

And read all of the stickied posts at the top of this forum. You need some basic information and training or you're going to hurt yourself.
    Last edited by Lumiel; 01-14-2008 at 06:07 PM.
    Lumiel's BGB Weightlifting Journal

32 y/o, 6' tall, 205 lbs

i think people these days are making lifts really complicated, like there is some aboslutly perfect way to lift a bar to make your muscles turn into the hulk.
    Simply this: resist gravity.....
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

I think I understand what you're saying. You will have more energy for the first exercise than for subsequent exercises, so you won't technically be training at your best for your last exercise. That's why you should limit workouts to an hour or so. Even though your last set won't be as good as your first, it won't make much difference if it's 10lbs less than what you can do fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    I think I understand what you're saying. You will have more energy for the first exercise than for subsequent exercises, so you won't technically be training at your best for your last exercise. That's why you should limit workouts to an hour or so. Even though your last set won't be as good as your first, it won't make much difference if it's 10lbs less than what you can do fresh.
    Using a routine like the one I suggested will make sure you use certain muscle groups while others are resting and will also place the biggest compound exercises up front to make use of the energy you have when you first start out to make sure you do them right.
    Lumiel's BGB Weightlifting Journal

32 y/o, 6' tall, 205 lbs