Thread: Boby building progression?

Boby building progression?

To all, happy New Year and happy training,

Looking for opinions or advice on my current training goals? - Got 2 questions, so here goes:

Weight gaining strategy:

One of my current goals was to add 8-10lbs of lean body mass(LBM) by the end of this year. I weighted in at 170lbs near the end of December. Just got off the scale for the third time, thought it may have been broken, because I'm now 179lbs.(after my second daily B/M, sorry if thats too specific) No doubt, it isn't all LBM but I visually appear and still measure relatively lean(33" waist). I feel a lot stronger and totally credit this to a consistent quality diet and higher training volume.

#1. Ideally I would like to hover between a solid 180-185lbs. My question is just how much should I try to gain before I cut my daily intake to maintain (knowing that I will lose mass if I want to become more lean)???

Lifting question:

When should I alter my training? I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I'd like to have a plan. I enjoy lifting and find that I respond better to more volume. Currently training 3 days a week on a push/pull/ leg split, focused on just basic compound lifts, and run 1-2 times a week. I plan on always keeping compound movements but when goals change shouldn't training also? (more frequent training?, lower intensity?, higher volume?, a couple of isolation exercises added?)

The "look", if any, I'm after is an athletic/ body builder(current muscle mass plus extra definition for overall aesthetic effect)

I have no ambition to try to lift more then 350lbs in either the Dead Lift or Squat. Not to discredit strength or strength trainers but I personally don't feel the need to lift anything 400lbs +. I would be content with reps of 350 or less.

#2. So... once I've obtain a certain weight(first question) or size/foundation, for my standards, should training change? And how so?

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by b_locster View Post

#1. Ideally I would like to hover between a solid 180-185lbs. My question is just how much should I try to gain before I cut my daily intake to maintain (knowing that I will lose mass if I want to become more lean)???

To maintain at 180-185 your calorie intake is going to be higher then it is at 175-179 (You have more mass there for it takes more energy to maintain it). If you're bulking past 185, then start to cut your calories when you want to cut otherwise once you hit 185 just eat at maintenance.

Lifting question:

I have no ambition to try to lift more then 350lbs in either the Dead Lift or Squat. Not to discredit strength or strength trainers but I personally don't feel the need to lift anything 400lbs +. I would be content with reps of 350 or less.

#2. So... once I've obtain a certain weight(first question) or size/foundation, for my standards, should training change? And how so?

no

Lee
    Just my opinion
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Cards thanks for the input. I checked out your progress and congrats on the good work.

I realize I have to eat above maintenance to continue to gain. I'm dong so currently and doing it fairly clean. If I continue doing the same and reach 190lbs..... then start removing carbs and eating for maintenance at 180-185, will 5- 10 extra pounds be enough bulk weight to obatin that goal?

Any one with this kind of experience?

Just don't want to continue to eat big if I am going to lose the gains to obtain my final goal. Or could I adjust my diet now, and CV activities and slowly gain LBM?

Direction appreciated,

Lee

Your asking if that weight gain will contain enough lean body mass to satisfy your goal, correct? You'll have to do some bodyfat measuring and calculations, and monitor your results over 2008. Nobody can really tell you how fast you'll gain muscle vs. fat, sorry.

Thats what I was afraid of... guess, I will have to go and experiment. Thanks for the reality check bjohnso.