The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade55 View Post
    It seems like most of you guys just use the mirror and scale as your calorie counting methods, right?

How do you determine was your macros should be?
    Lord... I didn't even know what the hell anyone was talking about the first time I read "macros" on this forum... macroscopic? macroeconomics? macroculture?... Special dietary needs aside, people really overthink eating.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Haha, I still have no idea what they are. I think it's your percentage of protein/fat/carbs?

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Lord... I didn't even know what the hell anyone was talking about the first time I read "macros" on this forum... macroscopic? macroeconomics? macroculture?... Special dietary needs aside, people really overthink eating.
    agreed
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Be honest. Even with FitDay, I've never been able to stick with calorie counting for more than a day. I'm curious how many actually do this day in a day out.
    i did it for a very long time, probably 5 years, everything that went in my mouth. after i while i started laying out a meal plan with what i needed and eating that every day so i didnt have to write it down.

now i can look at just about anything and tell u what the cals carbs pro and fat are. u have to do it for a while to learn it. and there is no other way to learn what ur body needs for optimal response and performance.

by the way, i still eat almost the same thing every day anyways.

by the way, this is where most people go wrong. they have NO idea whats goin down the hatch. when i make them write it down, bulking or dieting, they are shocked at how off the marker they are.

people spend so much time trying to find the perfect workout routine, or that special exercise or program that will take their lifts up... but then dont give any thought to what goes down the hatch. its a waste if u ask me. its a 3 prong stand thats gonna get u to the top--training, nutrition, and recovery. dont neglect the others, they are just as important, if not more so.

Heh, it's weird how the people on here with the best physiques are the ones that follow the KISS method. Keep it simple, stupid. While the ones with the average physiques are the ones that obsess over counting calories, macros, etc.

KISS: Eat healthy while trying to gain 1-2 pounds a week on a bulk. Eat healthy while trying to lose a pound a week on a cut. Train hard.

I think a lot of the times when newbies on here join and then give up really soon is because they get overwelmed by the advanced, overthinking advice they get so often on here. I know I was the same way just a couple of weeks ago. So frustrated worrying about things and overthinking because of certain stuff I read on WBB forums.

Heh, it's weird how the people on here with the best physiques are the ones that follow the KISS method. Keep it simple, stupid. While the ones with the average physiques are the ones that obsess over counting calories, macros, etc.

KISS: Eat healthy while trying to gain 1-2 pounds a week on a bulk. Eat healthy while trying to lose a pound a week on a cut. Train hard.

I think a lot of the times when newbies on here join and then give up really soon is because they get overwelmed by the advanced, overthinking advice they get so often on here. I know I was the same way just a couple of weeks ago. So frustrated worrying about things and overthinking because of certain stuff I read on WBB forums.
    Not true man. There are a lot of people on here that have amazing physiques who track calories, and others who don't. Although your right about newbies overthinking.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

Banned
    Read labels. Learn what food have what kinds of fats/carbs/proteins in them. It's not brain surgery. It's eating and paying attention to what happens to your body. Counting is for math teachers and poker players.

Quote Originally Posted by getfit View Post
    agreed

I'm willing to bet neither of you has been seriously overweight or suffered any diet-related health problems.

I track most of the year. I generally stop when I take time off dieting. I also gain a lot of weight when this happens. Left to my own devices, I'd be morbidly obese inside a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    I'm willing to bet neither of you has been seriously overweight or suffered any diet-related health problems.

I track most of the year. I generally stop when I take time off dieting. I also gain a lot of weight when this happens. Left to my own devices, I'd be morbidly obese inside a year.
    True.Never had any weight issues.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

this is because i am willinjg to bet the ones with best bodies on here have done this at some point and learned what they needed and what has what in it. once they get it down, there is no need refer to the manual every meal, its second nature.

and regardless how great someone looks, if they arent paying that kind of attention to their nutrition, they are only selling themselves short of their potential.

Built,
    I think we're both very clear on each other's opinion on this. I wasn't trying to start an argument with you which is why I made a point of saying "Special dietary needs aside,...".
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook

I count calories every day with one day off about every 30 days to cheat. My cheat day usually consists of 2-3 "bad" meals that still stay with in my daily caloric goals. I also try to weigh out everything that I can. I probably would not be so anal about it if I wasn't a former fatty. But in my mind every little bit helps me towards my goals. Even a miscalculation of a few hundred calories a week take away from progress that I have worked very very hard for.

If I had started packing muscle on a lean frame like a lot of people here I would probably eat my ass off and not think twice about it. So I understand that point of view. I just fear it would be counter productive given my goals.

Did it religiously for about a month but now I now what food has what and so I don't bother anymore.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

I did it until I was familiar with how many calories were in what I ate. Now, I just guesstimate.

Built,
    I think we're both very clear on each other's opinion on this. I wasn't trying to start an argument with you which is why I made a point of saying "Special dietary needs aside,...".
    I agree with you Sensei.

That being said, two thirds of Americans are overweight. One third (ie half those who are overweight) are medically obese. (source)

Define "special dietary needs".

Wannabebig Member so_calmaxwell's Avatar
    Everyday.

Its good for you. Just do it. ;P

I even have my own "planner" for it
    Last edited by so_calmaxwell; 01-21-2008 at 11:54 PM.

My diet has very few items.. Eggs, Chicken, Tuna, Turkey, Pork, Beef, Broccoli, Romaine Lettuce, Oats, Potato, Sweet Potato, Rice, Black Beans, Bananas, Fish Oil capsules, Various condiments/spices (mostly olive oil, vinegar's and lemon juice).

I have a list on the fridge with my typical serving sizes (when I rotate my carbs/protein). So I know how much oats or potato, or rice, or rice w/ beans, etc..to use in a meal.. But it's all predetermined a week or two in advance...sometimes on the fly.

When I feel I over did it because of my choices, I just take a few minutes on the treadmill...or cut out the late night cottage cheese..

I agree with you Sensei.

That being said, two thirds of Americans are overweight. One third (ie half those who are overweight) are medically obese. (source)

Define "special dietary needs".
    "seriously overweight or suffering any diet-related health problems". btw, I'm obese according to BMI measures.

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    I'm with Built. Those who battle the scale have to watch what they intake... If I do not watch what I am eating, I gain weight very rapidly, it is just natural. I have to track to keep myself in check.

Sensei, you fatty!

For the record, if you can make it work without tracking, you should.

Many of us can't. When you get tired of mucking around and you just want it to WORK, you track. There are worse things, I mean it takes me all of three minutes to plan my day.

I track and weight every day, just like I brush my teeth, and it takes about as long.
    BRAINS.BEAUTY.BRAWN. www.brainsbeautybrawn.blogspot.com
    WILL SQUAT FOR FOOD.
    "It's not Science - it's RESULTS" - Built
    235 Dead Lift........Height: 5'7"
    125 Bench............Weight: 148 lbs
    200 Squat............Age: 33 yrs. old.
    ----------
    560 Total.............Gunning for 700 this year (while on a cut-and NOT using RESULTS)

When I first started out reading about bodybuilding I started writing everything out and counting cals, pro,fats,carbs but now every meal i eat is about the same so i don't write everything down now. Once you get the hang of it, it will come as easy as 1,2,3. But when I am bulking I just count my cals still and fats, because i always get enough protein.