The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    3/22/08

Bench:

bar x 10
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    160 x 5 x 2 (+5 lbs from last time)
    160 x 4 (missed 5th rep)
    160 x 1

Finally made a bit of headway. I was pissed I didn't get a legit 3x5 at 160, but 4+1 is ok. If I'd rested a bit more I would've gotten all 5.

Deads:

135 x 5
    225 x 5
    275 x 5
    325 x 4 (+5 lbs from last time, BARELY missed 5th rep, lost right hand grip just before lockout)
    325 x 1, solid

So damn close, I just lost it for whatever reason. My grip is holding me back, I think I can pull more than this. I hate my little girl wrists.

Incline DB Press:
    40 x 10
    45 x 5 x 3

I think it's good that I added incline or dips (whichever I feel like) to my BP day. Weights went up fast but were wobbly at the top.

Lat Pull:

90 x 10
    105 x 5
    120 x 5
    135 x 5 x 3

I didn't know what I could do here so I did more warmup work than I needed to. Including these and assisted pullups (again, whichever I feel like) has been nice.

Hyperextensions:

BW x 10
    +25 x 5 x 3
    +45 x 10

Not sure about these. I had some extra time so I gave em a shot. I like doing them, but the added weight even after deadlifting didn't really feel heavy enough. Should I look at a higher rep range? Trying to hang on to two plates seems like a bad idea, I'm sure I'd drop one like an idiot at some point.

Overall a good workout, plenty of energy and I'm glad I finally added some weight to bench. 225 x 5 x 3 will be mine before the end of the year.

edit: weighed in at 242 today. I'll assume that weight gain is muscle.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 03-22-2008 at 06:21 PM.

Some kick ass **** with that bench. Getting that stubborn thing to move up! If hypers are cake, I'd say either just do Goodmornings, or find another core move to do instead (Glute Ham Raises or Reverse Hypers?). 225x5x3 would be freaking awesome, dude.

On those deadlifts: are you working on sqeezing that bar as hard as you can before every lift and are you still using that mixed grip? Also, you aren't using straps, right? Those will only hinder progress, as you probably already know. Stick with it, bro, the grip will catch up quick. Wrist size has little to do with it, but I understand what you're saying, lol. My wrists are tiny, like 6-7" around and you've seen what I do with em.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    Some kick ass **** with that bench. Getting that stubborn thing to move up! If hypers are cake, I'd say either just do Goodmornings, or find another core move to do instead (Glute Ham Raises or Reverse Hypers?). 225x5x3 would be freaking awesome, dude.

On those deadlifts: are you working on sqeezing that bar as hard as you can before every lift and are you still using that mixed grip? Also, you aren't using straps, right? Those will only hinder progress, as you probably already know. Stick with it, bro, the grip will catch up quick. Wrist size has little to do with it, but I understand what you're saying, lol. My wrists are tiny, like 6-7" around and you've seen what I do with em.
    Thanks K, felt good to finally get somewhere with bench. I'll look into the GHRs and reverse hypers and such. For whatever reason I've never wanted to do GMs.

I don't always consciously squeeze the bar hard, no. I should. I am using the mixed grip, and I am NOT using straps. I don't have any. The problem I have is keeping my thumb wrapped across my fingers. I may have to break down and by some grip trainers, we'll see.

Yeah, my wrists are so puny. Even if I eventually get jacked one day my wrists will look stupid on a large forearm.

Nice workout man. I too am in the small wrist club. I can reach around them and touch my middle finger to my thumb thats how small they are. For grip I tried what you told me and used left hand under right hand over and I had no problem friday holding on to 315. Good to see your adding in a few extra things too. Im sure those will help you!

Squat: 265x1 | Bench: 190x1 | Deadlift: 315x1 (Started 6/3/07)
    My Journal

Phenom - After two speeding tickets I drive like I have a kilo of cocaine and a dead body in my trunk.

I can reach around them and touch my middle finger to my thumb thats how small they are.
    Me too, but only on one side strangely.

Theres obviously alot of hard work being put in here. Whats your physique/weight like now?

Great stuff in here.

That's a BIG dead compared to your bench. Strong posterior chain?

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

romantic relations w/bacon Indifference's Avatar
    nice pullin big guy! those deads are gettin pretty beefy for sure and youll definitely be hittin 4 plates in not too long at this rate
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

#'s will be up when I know them

good work there yeserday man. glad to see improvement on both big three lifts! (<--- a paradox?)
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Nice workout man. I too am in the small wrist club. I can reach around them and touch my middle finger to my thumb thats how small they are. For grip I tried what you told me and used left hand under right hand over and I had no problem friday holding on to 315. Good to see your adding in a few extra things too. Im sure those will help you!
    Hey pulsey, thanks for dropping by. Glad to hear alternating your grip worked out. I think the accessory exercises I'm adding will indeed help me out.

Quote Originally Posted by MJay View Post
    Me too, but only on one side strangely.

Theres obviously alot of hard work being put in here. Whats your physique/weight like now?
    What's up MJay, thanks for stopping in. Weight was at 242 yesterday. Seeing a lot of growth and definition in my shoulders, traps, and legs. I'm probably at around 23-25% BF, which is not good, but I'm focusing on increasing strength right now, not cutting. In the past I've been able to drop fat fairly quickly if I put my mind to it. I have love handles and a gut, I'm definitely no fashion model

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Great stuff in here.

That's a BIG dead compared to your bench. Strong posterior chain?
    Thanks for dropping by Keith! I agree on dead vs. bench. You could say I have a strong posterior chain, or you could say my chest is just weak and lagging behind. I think it's the latter, but maybe I'm just being negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Indifference View Post
    nice pullin big guy! those deads are gettin pretty beefy for sure and youll definitely be hittin 4 plates in not too long at this rate
    Hey, thanks bro. Deads are rolling along, just gotta work on my crush grip strength. 4 plates will be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    good work there yeserday man. glad to see improvement on both big three lifts! (<--- a paradox?)
    Word, jed, thanks for the comments. A paradox indeed, but I'm picking up what you're putting down. I will have to fight tooth and nail for every ounce of improvement I make in bench, but I just gotta do it.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 03-23-2008 at 10:30 PM.

Nice lifting overall bro.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Nice lifting overall bro.
    Thanks Coke, it's getting better little by little.

3/25/08

Squat
    bar x 10 x 2
    135 x 5
    225 x 5 x 3

OH press:
    bar x 10
    65 x 5
    95 x 5
    105 x 3

T-Bar rows (machine):
    empty x 10
    1 plate x 5
    2 plates x 5

What a crap workout today. I got about 4 hrs of sleep last night and didn't eat anything til 1:00 pm today (McDonald's, another stellar choice). I did not prepare well. I was just sluggish and decided to end things early as I was in a hurry anyway. I shouldn't have even bothered.

Everyone has these days. Just gotta make sure to make up for it the next time this session comes around.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Banned
    nah man, getting them in when you don't want to counts the most. As long as you're pushing yourself, that's all that matter. Keep it up!

but you did bother, and thats what makes u better than the average joe man. good work!
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

hey man at least you went, most people wouldnt have, and thats why you can smash them and eat them.
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

I find my workouts don't go so well on little to no sleep/food either. Consider it an accomplishment for making it to the gym on that one, bro. You'll nail it next time. Rest up.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

At least you still had it in you to go to the gym. That shows just how dedicated you are.

Squat: 265x1 | Bench: 190x1 | Deadlift: 315x1 (Started 6/3/07)
    My Journal

Phenom - After two speeding tickets I drive like I have a kilo of cocaine and a dead body in my trunk.

YO!

Glad to see you're still adding on the presses dude...keep up the hard work.

Props for getting in there to pull off the effort, these days count man.

All you can do is learn from it and prepare better next time. Nice work getting some lifting done though.

...dude, ya alright?

yeah, u need to get back at us bro...
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

yap, get back here!
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

come
    back
    wtf
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW