The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    romantic relations w/bacon Indifference's Avatar
    Im going to second the sunburn with squats being a fun one. Try having to bail and drop one off your back with a sunburn, now THAT is a pleasant experience. I see plus signs up there which is definitely a good thing bro. Also if your talking about 60lb dumbells for bicep curls you officially curl more than this girly man hahaha. Get you a Z pack from a doc and feel better, those little bastards kill EVERYTHING. I love being better in 5 days no matter what sickness I had.
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

#'s will be up when I know them

6/1/08

Warmups: 5 min on elliptical, stretching

Bench:

bar x 10 x 2
    95 x 5
    135 x 3
    155 x 5 x 3 (+5 lbs. over last time)

I didn't think I'd make this one but I did. In the last few reps I think I used my leg drive correctly for the first time. I also felt it a lot in my lats. I used to hate putting an arch in my back but I'm getting more used to it.

Deadlift:

135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    275 x 2 - felt heavy as hell, I'm not even sure I got the 2nd rep
    315 x 1 x 5 - yes, 5 singles. My hands were screaming. The weight felt ok, but my hands couldn't handle it. They need to toughen up again. But I got 5 reps, eventually. I said I would and I did. But mother ****ER did my hands hurt.

DE squat:

140 x 10 x 3

Incline DB press:

45s x 5 x 3

These last two exercises were supersetted because I was running out of time. I like the speed squats because it's easy to go ATG on them but they really make me tired. Doing DB press instead of resting in between was hard.

Playlist:

Killswitch Engage - Alive or Just Breathing

I need to put some new music on my mp3 player. I just got a Dark Tranquility album, and I've really been digging the Gothenburg death metal sound lately so I should put some Soilwork on there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Indifference View Post
    Im going to second the sunburn with squats being a fun one. Try having to bail and drop one off your back with a sunburn, now THAT is a pleasant experience. I see plus signs up there which is definitely a good thing bro. Also if your talking about 60lb dumbells for bicep curls you officially curl more than this girly man hahaha. Get you a Z pack from a doc and feel better, those little bastards kill EVERYTHING. I love being better in 5 days no matter what sickness I had.
    Yeah it sucks. But it's mostly gone, which is good. Ha, no, it was a 60 lb. barbell. I haven't done bicep anything for a while so I wasn't sure where to start. It wasn't too far off, though, I may have done alright with 70 but not much more. What is a Z pack?

Quote Originally Posted by fooz View Post
    Nice PR man, lookin' strong in here. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks bro, nice of you to stop by. Not a PR, technically, but the most I've lifted in a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    245x5x3 on squats? So now you too are crushin the squats. Man I have got to get my **** together on those, hah. Nice **** with the sunburn with the squats. Doesn't that feel great? Good stuff with the OH press and rowing as well, bro. Good to see you making way again. Also, why you got to go and get sick again? Gonna need to put you in a bubble or something Take some vitamin C and stick with a diet of heavy iron, hah! That was pretty ****in bad, I know...
    Crushing? They were crushing me, maybe. I won't feel good til I get to 3pps. But hey it's a journey, if it was easy everyone would do it, right? I'm almost done being sick, just a few sniffles now. Heh, I just got the heavy iron comment.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Quite a trooper man, getting things done even while feeling subpar - some folks would just stay home.
    Thanks Coke, that's what I'd been doing all week, it was time to get out and make some progress.

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    good job increasing on most things dude. your geting there
    Yep, slowly but surely. Thanks jed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Nice work. Your strength is coming back really quickly.
    Thanks man. Not as fast as I'd like, especially on squats, but what can you do?

Nice deadlifting brah. My hands always start killing me when I switch from doing singles to doing 5-rep sets. Pain is weakness leaving the body, so, no worries.

Keep on with it, can't go wrong bro.

A Z-pack is a zithromyacin antibiotic pack. It lasts I think 5 days and after that your cured. Its amazing. They give it to you when you have bad respiratory infections. **** is worth its weight in gold when youre coughing up chunks and wheezing.
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

A Z-pack is a zithromyacin antibiotic pack. It lasts I think 5 days and after that your cured. Its amazing. They give it to you when you have bad respiratory infections. **** is worth its weight in gold when youre coughing up chunks and wheezing.
    I will keep these mysterious Z packs in mind. I think I'm done being sick for now, I never stay sick for more than a few days, a week at the most. I have this stupid thing where I don't like to take medication.

Keep on with it, can't go wrong bro.
    Thanks Coke, I always appreciate the support.

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    Nice deadlifting brah. My hands always start killing me when I switch from doing singles to doing 5-rep sets. Pain is weakness leaving the body, so, no worries.
    Hey, thanks for stopping in. I like that comment about pain, very pithy. My callouses are coming back so the pain should be less next time.

That's some solid pulling, dude. You do have chalk, right? Your bar must have a very coarse grip for your hands to be killing at 315. My bar isn't that coarse, but I went to Extreme recently and that tore the **** out of my hands. You love Killswitch, eh?

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    That's some solid pulling, dude. You do have chalk, right? Your bar must have a very coarse grip for your hands to be killing at 315. My bar isn't that coarse, but I went to Extreme recently and that tore the **** out of my hands. You love Killswitch, eh?
    I actually don't have chalk, there's no place in my area that sells it and I just haven't gotten around to buying it online. I really should. I want to buy a belt anyway so I could get both and save on shipping. Maybe I need to figure out which bar to use at the gym, I don't remember it always being that bad.

Bodybuilding.com. It's like $10 for a ton of it.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

nice deadlifts man, getting stronger and stronger bro.
    19 5'7 235
    No Belt/Wraps
    Squat ATG: 335x5
    Bench: 315x2
    Dead: 420x4

Journal:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-He-wants-MOAR!\

Quote Originally Posted by fooz View Post
    nice deadlifts man, getting stronger and stronger bro.
    Thanks fooz, hopefully it keeps going that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Bodybuilding.com. It's like $10 for a ton of it.
    Cool, I'll order that later tonight. And yeah, while I use the name killxswitch just because I've been using it for years (starting with when I played online shooters like counterstrike) I do really like Killswitch Engage.

ok, i just subscribed to your journal. i will try to encourage you. but i warn you, i'm a machine. just dont get hurt or quit, that will take all the joy out of beating you.

but seriously, stay healthy. this will be good for us
    PRs: B/S/D/T 235/295/435/965
    My Journal

New Goal: Explore my body's potential

6/4/08

warmups- 5 min elliptical, then stretching

Squat:

bar x 10 x 2
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    185 x 3
    225 x 1
    255 x 5 x 3 (+10 lbs. over last time)

Really hard, and on the last few reps I GMed out of the hole. My lower back now feels a little funny.

OH Press:

bar x 10
    65 x 5
    95 x 2
    105 x 1 - I was still drained from squats, I had to take a few minutes to regroup)
    105 x 5
    105 x 4 x 2

Not happy with these, will do 105 x 5 x 3 next time.

Bent-Over rows:

95 x 10
    145 x 5 x 3 (+5 lbs over last time)

Last set kinda tough, but overall not too bad.

HS Shrugs:

115 x 10
    215 x 5 x 3 (+5 lbs. over last time)

These were fine.

Decline situps:

BW x 10 x 3

Not too bad, will add a 10 lb. weight next time.

OK workout, I need to get some more sleep, I've been averaging under 6 hrs. lately.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 06-04-2008 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLion View Post
    ok, i just subscribed to your journal. i will try to encourage you. but i warn you, i'm a machine. just dont get hurt or quit, that will take all the joy out of beating you.

but seriously, stay healthy. this will be good for us
    Agreed it will be good for both of us. I will stay healthy, you stay consistent on coming to WBB, and may the best man win.

good workout. focus on keeping form on those squats. bending over out of the hole isnt good
    My Journal

good workout today fella. i would rather stop early than risk f**king my lower back up tho man, cuz that's a bitch if you injure that. i think our Keith had/has some troubles with that and that would suck. be smart, but great workout nonetheless!
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Solid day bro. Everybody GM's out of the hole sometimes. You can really tell how strong your back is when you KNOW your GMing out of the hole but it doesnt bother you. I wish I could help you on cleans but last time I tried them I was told I was doing them with illegal form. Whats your username in COD4 assuming its the PC version? I used to play a **** ton until I maxed everything out found nothing left to work for. Also you need to play team fortress 2, company of heroes, and dawn of war if you dont already!
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

Looking killer with all movements man, doing great.

Nice work, buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Nice work, buddy.
    I'm not your buddy, guy!

Get it? Anyway, thanks.

Looking killer with all movements man, doing great.
    Thanks Coke. It felt killer, but that's my fault for not sleeping.

Solid day bro. Everybody GM's out of the hole sometimes. You can really tell how strong your back is when you KNOW your GMing out of the hole but it doesnt bother you. I wish I could help you on cleans but last time I tried them I was told I was doing them with illegal form. Whats your username in COD4 assuming its the PC version? I used to play a **** ton until I maxed everything out found nothing left to work for. Also you need to play team fortress 2, company of heroes, and dawn of war if you dont already!
    Meh, I don't really want to do cleans. I've tried them, I've attempted to improve, and to be honest I just don't like them. I suck at the movement, and no one around here knows how to do them properly. I know they can be beneficial, but I have to balance that with the idea that I lift for fun too, not just to get stronger.

My back doesn't hurt, so I don't think it was too bad. Just on my last few reps in my 3rd set I really had to work to stand back up and my form suffered. I may try the weight again next time to make sure my form is ok.

My COD4 name is also killxswitch. I haven't played in a few weeks, I think my graphics card is about to die, but if possible it'd be cool if a few of us on WBB could jump on a server together. If you ever use xfire I'm killxswitch on there, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    good workout today fella. i would rather stop early than risk f**king my lower back up tho man, cuz that's a bitch if you injure that. i think our Keith had/has some troubles with that and that would suck. be smart, but great workout nonetheless!
    Yeah, I just got stubborn and wanted to finish the set I guess. It doesn't hurt, I can just feel it, kind of like when you feel it after deads. It's something I need to work on, but for the majority of the reps I think my form was decent.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLion View Post
    good workout. focus on keeping form on those squats. bending over out of the hole isnt good
    Thanks, as I told the others it was only the last 2 or so reps. Still not good, and I will work to correct it, but it wasn't all of my sets or anything.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 06-06-2008 at 10:08 AM.

That's awesome you got your legs driving in the bench, man. Feels wierd, huh? Almost like cheating, only it's legal Deadlift looks awesome too. 315 for 5 is sick, no matter how it's done. Don't worry bout the OH Pressing. Those things are usually hit or miss. Just stick with it. I too need to get more sleep. I swear it's impossible to get the 8 hours in.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Great lifting bro, been looking back a couple pages and everything looks great.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

jw, whats your current split. oh, and i feel strong, btw
    My Journal

Actually, I don't get it.