The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 14 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    its southpark, and its actually, i'm not your buddy, guy!
    PRs: B/S/D/T 235/295/435/965
    My Journal

New Goal: Explore my body's potential

He's right, I goofed.

See the following for details: http://youtube.com/watch?v=VqkN8XsYtJI

I don't even watch south park, but I find it hilarious.

hah i love that show.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Quote Originally Posted by TheLion View Post
    jw, whats your current split. oh, and i feel strong, btw
    jw?

Quote Originally Posted by View 1 View Post
    Great lifting bro, been looking back a couple pages and everything looks great.
    Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'm about back to where I was, now it's time to make some real progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    That's awesome you got your legs driving in the bench, man. Feels wierd, huh? Almost like cheating, only it's legal Deadlift looks awesome too. 315 for 5 is sick, no matter how it's done. Don't worry bout the OH Pressing. Those things are usually hit or miss. Just stick with it. I too need to get more sleep. I swear it's impossible to get the 8 hours in.
    It did indeed feel weird. I'm sure I wasn't doing it optimally, but any at all is more than I've done before. For deads I'm considering trying hook grip just to get used to it so my grip strength no longer is a factor. I hear it kills, though. OH press is usually alright, I was just beat from squats.

just wondering
    My Journal

Ah. I should know these things, I know teh internets.

My routine is a modified version of Rippetoe's Starting Strength. 3x a week, two workouts that I alternate.

Workout A:

"ME" squat
    BB Overhead press
    Bent-over BB row
    Shrugs
    abs

Workout B:

Bench
    Deads
    "DE" squat
    Incline DB press or Dips
    Pullups/Lat pulldowns
    Side bends

warmups and 3 sets of 5, except for deads its warmups and 1 set of 5. Abs and side bends are 3 sets of 10.

One week I do A,B,A and the next week B, A, B. Though sometimes depending on my schedule the "week" is more like Tuesday - Monday. SS calls for heavy squats 3x a week, and my hip can't handle that, which is why I do speed squats on bench and deadlift day.

STRENGTH FROM ABOVE
    Praise GOD,,,isnt it great that God is so merciful..Paul anything you need,prayer,talk, etc please dont hesitate to ask..keep growing in Christ, with him nothing is impossible..i tried to pm you but it wont send out cause i dont have enough posts yet...

in His grip forever
    john
    Jeremiah 20:9
    But if I say, "I will not mention him or speak any more in his name," his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot.

Sponsored by INZER

Quote Originally Posted by john bernor View Post
    Praise GOD,,,isnt it great that God is so merciful..Paul anything you need,prayer,talk, etc please dont hesitate to ask..keep growing in Christ, with him nothing is impossible..i tried to pm you but it wont send out cause i dont have enough posts yet...

in His grip forever
    john
    John thanks, I really appreciate it. I think you only need 4 more posts in one of the "main" forums (Weight training, PL, etc, the non-community ones) to be able to do private messages.

To those of you that read my journal and have no idea what is going on, I am a christian, though not a good one. I struggle because I find living that life difficult and often convince myself it's more fun not to. John's unabashed faith in his journal really kind of humbled and shamed me, and coupled with some stuff going on in life it just kind of made me think about what my priorities are, even on the internet.

I'm not going to beat anyone over the head or try to make the friends I've gained on here uncomfortable as I have no business trying to tell anyone how to live at this point, but I should at least be straight with you about where I"m coming from. I've hid it previously other than mentioning that I've prayed for something in someone elses journal or whatever, because I am a very poor representative of Jesus Christ.

That's about it on that front.

I tried to go to the gym tonight but they were closed, much to my surprise. I was pissed until I checked the website and sure enough their posted hours on saturday are 8am - 8pm. I thought for sure it was 10. I guess I'll go in tomorrow. I got lots of sleep and ate a lot of good (and a few bad...) calories today too, too bad.

6/8/08

warmups: 5 minutes on row machine, stretching

Bench:

bar x 10
    70 x 10
    95 x 5
    135 x 3
    160 x 5 x 2
    160 x 4 (missed 5th rep)

Close but no cigar. I had great form today though, lots of arch.

Deadlift:

overhand grip
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    neutral grip
    275 x 3
    315 x 4 (missed 5th rep)
    315 x1

Couldn't quite lock it out, my grip was the problem again. Stronger than last time, but still needs improvement. I stupidly wore shorts today and scraped the crap out of my legs.

Incline DB press:

50s x 5 x 3

Up to 50s, 100s here I come. Eventually.

Fat pull ups

BW x 3 x 3
    BW x 2

I stacked 2 plates up so I could get a bit of a jump while holding the bar. I can't do more than 1 single chin from a dead hang. I got a weird look from someone so I explained that this is how fat guys do pull ups.

DE Squats:

135 x 10 x 3

Killer, I was so tired.

Side Bends:

45 x 10 x 3 per side

Not bad this time.

15 minutes on elliptical

Playlist:

Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper
    August Burns Red - Thrill Seeker
    Hatebreed - Perserverance

Overall it felt like a good workout despite the missed reps. I know soreness in the muscle isn't necessarily an indicator of muscle growth or activation or whatever, but I'm really feeling the fat pullups in my lats, moresoe than with lat pulldowns or machine-assisted pullups.

While deadlifting I think I hit my left knee during a rep, it's the knee I have trouble with every now and then, I can feel the kneecap sliding around more than it should. It usually settles down after a few days or weeks, so we'll see what happens.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 06-08-2008 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    To those of you that read my journal and have no idea what is going on, I am a christian, though not a good one. I struggle because I find living that life difficult and often convince myself it's more fun not to. John's unabashed faith in his journal really kind of humbled and shamed me, and coupled with some stuff going on in life it just kind of made me think about what my priorities are, even on the internet.

I'm not going to beat anyone over the head or try to make the friends I've gained on here uncomfortable as I have no business trying to tell anyone how to live at this point, but I should at least be straight with you about where I"m coming from. I've hid it previously other than mentioning that I've prayed for something in someone elses journal or whatever, because I am a very poor representative of Jesus Christ.

That's about it on that front.
    man thats so awesome that you care enough about christ/god that you can share that you have not been doing your part in his deal with us. you know what that means? that you love him and you do truly believe in him. it takes a lot to be able to say that you've been slacking, but you know what, he sees that you can admit that and knows that you are working on it and knows that you still love him.

maybe what would help is to try and find a verse in the bible that motivates you. mine, along with alot of others (like john here) is Phillipians 4:13 ; "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me." it is my ultimate motivator. it makes me think, 'hey, god put this here, so obviously he means for me to get around it.'

good solid workout today. lots of stuff. easy on that knee, those are key :P
    Last edited by jed; 06-08-2008 at 08:03 PM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

your kneecap is probably fine, just dont hit it again. and DLs arent worth doing unless you're going to make your shins bleed. then you know you're doing them right, plus it looks intense. haha. steady moving that bench. i hear you. good job man. i'm a christian too, btw. if you need prayer or anything, let me know.
    My Journal

I appreciate the sentiment fellas. jed, things are changing and for the better. I'm now going back to church which I haven't done in at least a year maybe more, and I'm trying to get more involved there. I know the Phillipians verse well and like it. I did more in this workout than I normally do, I liked it.

Lion, haha, nice advice, I'll try to remember not to slam the bar into my knee next time. I wish my knee was fine, except I get pain in it all the time, sometimes for no reason. I haven't been to the doctor for it yet, I probably should. My shins already look like crap from deads but now it's all the way up to my knee. Very hardcore looking. I will let you know, there's some stuff coming up soon that will make me take you up on your offer. Again thanks for the support guys.

Just ordered a belt: http://www.inzernet.com/detail_belt....LTS_BUCKLE10MM

And before anyone makes a pink belt joke, I ordered black. Ordered some chalk too, and some of those straps I'm not supposed to use .

LOL LOL THAT BELT IS PIN- oh, wait. nice choice, matey!
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

dude, why didnt you get the red white and blue one
    My Journal

Nice workout, big guy. Your grip strength will increase quickly so you shouldn't have to resort to the straps. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Nice workout, big guy. Your grip strength will increase quickly so you shouldn't have to resort to the straps. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks brudda. I agree, especially once I can start using chalk I won't need them. They were like $6 so I figured why not. I'm not sure I will use them beyond trying them out. I definitely won't neglect my grip strength training.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLion View Post
    dude, why didnt you get the red white and blue one
    The same reason I didn't go for any other color, I didn't want to wait a year to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    LOL LOL THAT BELT IS PIN- oh, wait. nice choice, matey!
    HA! Foiled. Thanks man, looking forward to trying it out.

Nice flow in here always man.

Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    I appreciate the sentiment fellas. jed, things are changing and for the better. I'm now going back to church which I haven't done in at least a year maybe more, and I'm trying to get more involved there. I know the Phillipians verse well and like it. I did more in this workout than I normally do, I liked it.

Lion, haha, nice advice, I'll try to remember not to slam the bar into my knee next time. I wish my knee was fine, except I get pain in it all the time, sometimes for no reason. I haven't been to the doctor for it yet, I probably should. My shins already look like crap from deads but now it's all the way up to my knee. Very hardcore looking. I will let you know, there's some stuff coming up soon that will make me take you up on your offer. Again thanks for the support guys.

Just ordered a belt: http://www.inzernet.com/detail_belt....LTS_BUCKLE10MM

And before anyone makes a pink belt joke, I ordered black. Ordered some chalk too, and some of those straps I'm not supposed to use .
    I ordered an inzer 13mm. Its a good belt, but I think maybe I should have gotten the 10. Good thing you ordered black too, lol.

romantic relations w/bacon Indifference's Avatar
    Looking good man. I think with the added benefit of the chalk you really wont need the straps. I also dig the fat pullups. Im a big fan of those. Youll be surprised how fast you get better at them though. I was doing assisted for like 3 sessions and then the 4th one I was able to get a set of 5 all on my own. One of those awesome feelings man. Its good to see you doing so well in all aspects. Keep it up mang.
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

#'s will be up when I know them

Quote Originally Posted by Indifference View Post
    Looking good man. I think with the added benefit of the chalk you really wont need the straps. I also dig the fat pullups. Im a big fan of those. Youll be surprised how fast you get better at them though. I was doing assisted for like 3 sessions and then the 4th one I was able to get a set of 5 all on my own. One of those awesome feelings man. Its good to see you doing so well in all aspects. Keep it up mang.
    Thanks man. I didnt' feel as dumb as I expected doing the fat pullups. Yeah I doubt I'll use the straps much. They were cheap and didn't add to the shipping total so I just added them.

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    I ordered an inzer 13mm. Its a good belt, but I think maybe I should have gotten the 10. Good thing you ordered black too, lol.
    All I hear is 13mm is too thick. I've never worn a decent belt so I have no idea. What color did you get? Did you do anything special to break it in?

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Nice flow in here always man.
    Thanks Coke, I always appreciate the support.

looks like your bench is gettin back up there...lookin good bud

did you not workout yesterday?
    My Journal

borracho: slowly but surely. I think 165 is the most I've benched since high school. Even then my max was like 190 lol.

Lion: Nope, I rarely work out 2 days in a row.

Good stuff, bro. Race, religion, color or sex, doesn't make a difference to me. I consider you all my friends and value and respect all your thoughts and support. I think I speak for a lot of people here as well on this forum. Very nice deadlifting and solid bench work the other night, man. Grip will just keep improving if you keep knocking on the door of that heavy weight. Trust me. Good choice of music with the Children of Bodom, lol, some of my favorite tunes for sure. Weird about your kneecap, perhaps some wraps would help stabalize it better? Cool new belt, it's like mine. I miss my red one, which doesn't fit anymore
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    Good stuff, bro. Race, religion, color or sex, doesn't make a difference to me. I consider you all my friends and value and respect all your thoughts and support. I think I speak for a lot of people here as well on this forum. Very nice deadlifting and solid bench work the other night, man. Grip will just keep improving if you keep knocking on the door of that heavy weight. Trust me. Good choice of music with the Children of Bodom, lol, some of my favorite tunes for sure. Weird about your kneecap, perhaps some wraps would help stabalize it better? Cool new belt, it's like mine. I miss my red one, which doesn't fit anymore
    I appreciate that K. Part of what I like about WBB is the camaraderie and support even in disagreement. I really like CoB, I have all their albums I think, but it just wasn't right for this workout, so after warmups I switched. I need more of a driving drum beat with lots of snare, as well as breakdowns, when I'm lifting. My knee was actually fine the next morning, so I apparently just torqued it a bit. I've been loading up on the fish oil pills to really grease up my joints.