The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    I've been loading up on the fish oil pills to really grease up my joints.
    excellent!
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

go workout
    PRs: B/S/D/T 235/295/435/965
    My Journal

New Goal: Explore my body's potential

jed: yep.

lion: getting there.

6/11/08

OH press:

bar x 10
    65 x 5
    95 x 2
    105 x 3 x 5

Completed the set I failed on last time. This seemed way too hard though.

Bent-over rows:

bar x 10
    95 x 5
    135 x 3 x 5

Also felt heavier than it should have.

Squat:

bar x 10
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    225 x 1
    260 x 2

My lower back has been hurting for about 5 days so I didn't have confidence or intensity for these. I was supposed to do 260 for 3 sets of 5, but only hit a double and decided to call it a night.

Playlist:

Exodus - The Atrocity Exhibition... Exhibit A
    something else I don't remember now

I just couldn't get my head in the game last night. And I need to sleep more. Not a total waste, but not a good workout at all.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 06-13-2008 at 06:47 AM.

man, i feel you on not being able to get my head in the game. i'm struggling with that too. its just hard for me clear my head once i get into the gym and focus on getting that adrenaline going to move big weight. i think getting a steady, healthy sleep pattern will help you out tremendously. i find that when i have most of my other stuff together i get a lot more quality stuff done in the gym
    My Journal

Any reason why you have squats at the end of your workout? They're the most taxing exercise on that day. If you're feeling low in energy, I'd put them to the front of your workout.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

sucks about that workout man. at least you did improve though on the OH press (i think? u said next time but did u mean last?) funny cuz i thought fish oil was supposed to supply you energy!
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    sucks about that workout man. at least you did improve though on the OH press (i think? u said next time but did u mean last?) funny cuz i thought fish oil was supposed to supply you energy!
    I improved on OH press in that I completed my 3 x 5 whereas I failed to do so last time. The weight was the same. I guess all the fish oil in the world won't help you if you're getting 5 hrs. of sleep a night

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Any reason why you have squats at the end of your workout? They're the most taxing exercise on that day. If you're feeling low in energy, I'd put them to the front of your workout.
    I usually do squats first if I'm squatting heavy, but at first I wasn't going to do squats at all, my lower back hurt too much. But once I got warmed up I decided to at least do some.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLion View Post
    man, i feel you on not being able to get my head in the game. i'm struggling with that too. its just hard for me clear my head once i get into the gym and focus on getting that adrenaline going to move big weight. i think getting a steady, healthy sleep pattern will help you out tremendously. i find that when i have most of my other stuff together i get a lot more quality stuff done in the gym
    Yeah sometimes I just can't focus. I had other stuff going on, and while sometimes working out helps me to clear my mind, sometimes the reverse happens and I completely wimp out. It sucks, but I'm gonna get some extra sleep and keep at it. What else can you do?

yea bro, you sound just like me. lots of times if i have a lot on my mind before i go in the gym, i have to take time to clear my head before and get myself pumped up and say that for at least an hour, i'm not going to worry about anything and i'm going to go into the gym and smash some weight. i think its important to prepare yourself mentally as well as physically before every workout in order to insure that you get the most out of the workout. lots of times i just show up to the gym without thinking about it or go just trying to get away from whatever i'm doing at the time, and i usually have a bad workout, but if i get focused before i go and get myself pumped about it, i usually do a little better.
    My Journal

Nice work, man. There's a reason those presses are hard: it's because you're lifting over a hundred pounds right over your head.

Don't worry about the squatting man. Like keith said, you might want to do them in the beginning of the workout.
    19 5'7 235
    No Belt/Wraps
    Squat ATG: 335x5
    Bench: 315x2
    Dead: 420x4

Journal:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-He-wants-MOAR!\

romantic relations w/bacon Indifference's Avatar
    Id agree with moving the squats first unless your shoulders get irritated by them and make OH pressing hard. Hah and your right 5hours of sleep a night sucks unless your body only needs that much. Just come back next time more prepared. Also have you listened to the new Opeth Watershed? If you have what do you think of it? Im not sure what I think about it yet.
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

#'s will be up when I know them

Props just for making the effort happen, we all have subpar moments bro.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Props just for making the effort happen, we all have subpar moments bro.
    Thanks Coke. Yeah it happens to everyone. I'm not down about it, I just gotta do better next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Indifference View Post
    Id agree with moving the squats first unless your shoulders get irritated by them and make OH pressing hard. Hah and your right 5hours of sleep a night sucks unless your body only needs that much. Just come back next time more prepared. Also have you listened to the new Opeth Watershed? If you have what do you think of it? Im not sure what I think about it yet.
    Yeah like I told Keith I almost squat first if I'm squatting heavy, so I get that done before getting tired. This was unusual. I've only heard two songs on Watershed. I have to be in a certain mood to enjoy Opeth anyway, but so far I like it well enough. Sometimes they're just too melodic and I get annoyed with it.

Quote Originally Posted by fooz View Post
    Don't worry about the squatting man. Like keith said, you might want to do them in the beginning of the workout.
    Right, and like I explained I don't normally do squats at the end of the workout. I should be better next time, my lower back feels better today.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Nice work, man. There's a reason those presses are hard: it's because you're lifting over a hundred pounds right over your head.
    Thanks man. I guess, but I've been stuck at ~105-110 for a while and I think I should be making progress. We'll see how they go next time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLion View Post
    yea bro, you sound just like me. lots of times if i have a lot on my mind before i go in the gym, i have to take time to clear my head before and get myself pumped up and say that for at least an hour, i'm not going to worry about anything and i'm going to go into the gym and smash some weight. i think its important to prepare yourself mentally as well as physically before every workout in order to insure that you get the most out of the workout. lots of times i just show up to the gym without thinking about it or go just trying to get away from whatever i'm doing at the time, and i usually have a bad workout, but if i get focused before i go and get myself pumped about it, i usually do a little better.
    Yeah mental prep is important, especially as the weight increases. However it's good to find a balance between that and overthinking everything too much. That's something I do in many facets of life, not just lifting, and it seriously cripples you if you let it. Over analyzing anything makes you do nothing.

I won the ALN contest for search terms for Results, so I should be getting a free tub of Orange Blast in the mail soon. I'll post in here what I think as I take it. It's not something I would probably buy for myself because a: it's $50, and b: I have no way of telling if it's truly worth it other than reading the very limited reviews on the net. But now I get to evaluate for myself, which is awesome. Thanks Daniel and ALN, free stuff is always welcome .
    Last edited by killxswitch; 06-13-2008 at 07:14 AM.

My Inzer belt, chalk, and such arrived today. The belt is a little big. If I pull it tight I can get to the last hole. But then I guess I can just drill my own holes, and it's better for it to be too big than too small. That's what she said.

awesome dude. yeah you can always drill them if needed. nice to hear about the free stuff too.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

STRENGTH FROM ABOVE
    looking strong,,make sure you ice up your back- if that doesnt do it u may need to take a down week...keep it up and repping JC<>< God bless

in His grip forever
    john
    Jeremiah 20:9
    But if I say, "I will not mention him or speak any more in his name," his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot.

Sponsored by INZER

Quote Originally Posted by john bernor View Post
    looking strong,,make sure you ice up your back- if that doesnt do it u may need to take a down week...keep it up and repping JC<>< God bless

in His grip forever
    john
    Hi John, thanks for stopping by. My back is feeling alright but if I tweak it again I'll start icing it and see how it goes. Many thanks for the support and encouragement brother.

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    awesome dude. yeah you can always drill them if needed. nice to hear about the free stuff too.
    I think I'll need to. I wish I'd bought the XL instead of the 2XL, but no biggie. Yeah, I never win anything, it was a thrill.

you cant thats what she said yourself
    My Journal

Wannabebig Member
    keep resting up man, another way to look at your belt being too big is to bulk till it fits!
    "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."...Joshua 1:9

I hear ya on pain making it difficult to get intensity up for a lift, dude. Just take it easy and do your best with what you've got that night - it's all you can really do right? Cool deal about the new belt. Those things are stiff as a board at first and will probably take a good 4-6 weeks to really start fitting correctly. Don't get stuck in it like I did mine the first time I put one on, lol.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Last work out looked good. I need to order a belt soon, which one did you get from inzer?
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

I'll echo what everyone else has said in that the same thing happens to me with squats (and deadlift). I honestly just get intimidated by the weight.

Yo..just stoppin' by. How is the back doing?

4 days w/o a workout. i was expecting a challenge?
    My Journal

hopefully he has been workin out and just slackin on the postin.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW