The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 17 of 43 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    Damn, that's awesome news, bro. Congrats! Good luck with the job too, that'd definitely be a huge pay hike. Just go with the flow and lift when you can. We'll all still be around here when you need us, man (like we'd be anywhere else ) Your lifts are lookin solid too. That bench is movin up nice and steady. What's your 1RM at these days? You should give it a go. Also, why only add chalk at 275 on the deadlift? I practically bath in that **** before I even touch the empty bar, lol. Tell the wifey we all said congrats, bro.
    Thanks K. I think I'm back in the flow. Things are crazy but my wife also sleeps a lot now, so in some ways there's more "free" time.

Heh I have no idea what my 1rm is on anything. I've been thinking maxing for a while, you're right I should just do it and see where I am. As for the chalk I have to be careful not to let the gym workers see me using it. I lift at LA Fitness (the gym selection in this city blows), and I don't want to get yelled at. I am the Chalk Ninja.

Congrats on everything buddy. You better get on that 1000 total, because its going to be tough to have a good workout once the baby gets here.

Wannabebig Member
    congrats on the news, with you becoming a father! best of luck to you and your wife
    "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."...Joshua 1:9

Quote Originally Posted by View 1 View Post
    Good looking out. Im gonna order one in soon ( well not for a couple months ) and thats good to know for sizing purpose's. Ill get it before I max out again, this way I can get use to it and break it in a little bit. Ive never squated or deadlifted in a belt before.
    Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    I'd suggest black. I've heard horror stories of 6 week wait times when you order a weird color, but I ordered mine on Monday and got it on Friday. Also, I'd suggest 10mm, most people I've talked to or read comments from say the 13mm is too thick for most people. If bjohnso's got his yet you can ask how his 13mm is working out for him.
    I really like my 13mm. I use it for squatting and sometimes deadlifting. I ordered "rust" color, which looks good, but it took over a month to arrive. I'm not sure if it's because they had to make it or because they were just dumb and forgot about it. 13mm is pretty thick, but mine is starting to soften up a little bit. I can't tuck the tongue through the belt loop when I have it on (too stiff), so I just slide it around so I'm wearing the belt backwards. That way the tongue doesn't interfere with my knee when I'm squatting or deadlifting.

It's definitely worth the money though.
    Last edited by bjohnso; 06-22-2008 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    I really like my 13mm. I use it for squatting and sometimes deadlifting. I ordered "rust" color, which looks good, but it took over a month to arrive. I'm not sure if it's because they had to make it or because they were just dumb and forgot about it. 13mm is pretty thick, but mine is starting to soften up a little bit. I can't tuck the tongue through the belt loop when I have it on (too stiff), so I just slide it around so I'm wearing the belt backwards. That way the tongue doesn't interfere with my knee when I'm squatting or deadlifting.

It's definitely worth the money though.
    I'm glad to hear it worked out for you. If you had it to do over again would you still order 13mm? For reference, I am able to tuck the belt tail through the loop with no problems. However this might be because the one I ordered is too big.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmduff View Post
    congrats on the news, with you becoming a father! best of luck to you and your wife
    Thanks brother! It'll be one of the best things I ever do in life, I'm certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Congrats on everything buddy. You better get on that 1000 total, because its going to be tough to have a good workout once the baby gets here.
    Thanks Jorge. Yeah you know I hadn't even thought of that. Kind of a downer actually, heh. Maybe I'll have to start looking into a nifty home gym setup.

first time in here...looks like you've made some really nice progress man. ill have to check in more. congrats on becoming a father as well!
    "Obsession is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated."

Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=111020

I'm glad to hear it worked out for you. If you had it to do over again would you still order 13mm? For reference, I am able to tuck the belt tail through the loop with no problems. However this might be because the one I ordered is too big.
    I don't know, I don't have anything but a crappy Valeo belt to compare it to.

I don't know, I don't have anything but a crappy Valeo belt to compare it to.
    Fair enough. If it works it works right?

Quote Originally Posted by philly08 View Post
    first time in here...looks like you've made some really nice progress man. ill have to check in more. congrats on becoming a father as well!
    Thanks for stopping by philly, and for the nice comments. I'll hit your journal up here in a bit.

6/22

warmup: 5 minutes row machine, stretching

squats:

bar x 10
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    185 x 3
    225 x 1
    275 x 3 x 5 (ties my PR)

I used my new belt for the first time on these. They were not easy, but I didn't want to die after every set like the last time I did this. Having a belt to push my abs against definitely helped. I think I'll test my 1rm next time I squat, I will try for 315.

OH press:

bar x 10
    75 x 5
    95 x 3
    105 x 3 x 5

I've been frustrated recently with these, and I figured out tonight that my grip was too wide. I put pinkies on the ring and the weight flew up a lot faster, lots more power.

BO rows:

95 x 5
    135 x 5
    140 x 2 x 5

Not bad. Is it wrong for me to use a little lower back when I do these?

HS shrugs:

115 x 10
    225 x 3 x 5

Easy. Running out of time though.

Playlist:

Throwdown - Venom and Tears
    Terror - Always the Hard Way

Good energy tonight. If the gym hadn't closed I would've kept going.

Here's a story though: I drilled a new hole in my belt since it's a little big on me. My largest drill bit isn't as big as the holes that are already in the belt, but I figured that was no big deal as long as the belt buckles up ok. Or so I thought.

I tested it out, and it went on ok. But I couldn't get back out. The holes are that big because the pin thing needs a bit of wiggle room to come out, and with this new hole it didn't have that. It took a good 15 minutes of fierce struggle to get out. Fortunately this was at home, where my embarrassment didn't leave my house. At least until my wife tells our friends and family so they can all laugh at me.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 06-22-2008 at 08:19 PM.

you will nail 315 easily on squats. good job

EDIT: on BO rows, keep your back arched and still. use as little lift as you can, try to leave it to just your back muscles. if you have to lift up your back to help get the weight to your chest, you're using too much weight
    Last edited by TheLion; 06-22-2008 at 09:12 PM.
    PRs: B/S/D/T 235/295/435/965
    My Journal

New Goal: Explore my body's potential

great to see the you are back up to your old PR on squats dude! oh and your playlist.. you dont actually only listen to 2 songs right?
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Good deal on matching your all time best with the squats man.

Nice work on the legs buddy...and I hear ya on keeping the embarrassment(s) at home.

Dude, you should own 315! LOL @ the belt. It would have been a better story if you had to take it off at the gym. Yeah, about your playlist, did you only listen to two songs?

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Great squatting. 315 should be easy for you.

Great squatting. 315 should be easy for you.
    Thanks man. I dunno about easy, but I think I can hit it. It seems like once I hit a certain poundage (around 250 or so) it all feels hard, but I can do it. I wonder if that's a CNS thing, since the actual weight doesn't feel that much different.

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    Nice work on the legs buddy...and I hear ya on keeping the embarrassment(s) at home.
    Thanks bro. Yeah it wasn't the brightest or coolest thing I've ever done.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Dude, you should own 315! LOL @ the belt. It would have been a better story if you had to take it off at the gym. Yeah, about your playlist, did you only listen to two songs?
    I think you're right, I'm excited to do it. Ha ha, yeah that would've been even worse.

Me: Hey man, can I get some help for a sec?
    Dude: Sure, you need a spot?
    Me: Not exactly. Here, grab the end of my belt.
    Dude: ...
    Me: ...What?

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Good deal on matching your all time best with the squats man.
    Thanks Coke. It felt good to do it again, and better than last time, I was sore for days the last time I did that much, this time I feel pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLion View Post
    you will nail 315 easily on squats. good job

EDIT: on BO rows, keep your back arched and still. use as little lift as you can, try to leave it to just your back muscles. if you have to lift up your back to help get the weight to your chest, you're using too much weight
    I think you're right, looking forward to that. Thanks man.

Yeah I figured I was in the wrong with my rows. I'll have to back down on my pride and lower the weight.

curse my lack of rock knowledge.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Wannabebig Member
    nice workout dude, keep up the intensity. ps- throwdown and terror rule live! do you listen to hatebreed at all?
    "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."...Joshua 1:9

Quote Originally Posted by mmmduff View Post
    nice workout dude, keep up the intensity. ps- throwdown and terror rule live! do you listen to hatebreed at all?
    Thanks man, the kind words are appreciated.

I've dug Hatebreed since Satisfaction is the Death of Desire. I know a lot of guys lost respect for them when they switched to Universal records, but when I listen to their latest album they're still playing the same music they've always played. They never did sell out, they just got payed more to do what they do. Maybe they lost their underground image but I don't care about that too much. I saw them a few years ago with Comeback Kid, Suffocate Faster, and Poison the Well, around the time Perserverance came out. One of the better shows I've been to.

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    You are young, I forgive you.

Check em out if you get a chance, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    Yeah, what this little kid said.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

damn you and your ability to squat. children are expensive i recommend ebaying it. if not train it to do chores and nifty tricks.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    damn you and your ability to squat. children are expensive i recommend ebaying it. if not train it to do chores and nifty tricks.
    Lol I could say the same to you about your bench. Thanks dude. Heh, I think I'll keep this one. The grass ain't gonna cut itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Yeah, what this little kid said.
    Check em out if you get time.

romantic relations w/bacon Indifference's Avatar
    Solid showing last workout day buddy. That story about your belt is pretty funny, also funny is all those n000bs^^!!!! (lol sarcasm) thinking you listen to two songs while your lifting. They obviously dont know their metal! Sounds like you had a good day with the new belt bro, keep it up mang!
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

#'s will be up when I know them

Quote Originally Posted by Indifference View Post
    Solid showing last workout day buddy. That story about your belt is pretty funny, also funny is all those n000bs^^!!!! (lol sarcasm) thinking you listen to two songs while your lifting. They obviously dont know their metal! Sounds like you had a good day with the new belt bro, keep it up mang!
    Thanks guy. Yeah, what can I say, I'm a really cool guy and I do really cool things I dunno what's up with these fools thinking I loop two tracks for my entire workout. Though during squats my stomach fat kept hitting the back button on my mp3 player. Basically I knew I hit depth if the song started over.

I like the belt. I would like to use it a lot but I know I shouldn't.