The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 18 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    I GOT THE JOB!! And they're gonna pay me $2K more than I was hoping for, I didn't even have to negotiate. This is a huge load off my mind, as now my wife will be able to stay home with the kid til he/she's in school. Praise God for that. Man I'm so excited I don't know how I'll sit here at my desk all day.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 06-24-2008 at 07:46 AM.

Banned
    good hard work in here as usual, and congrats on the new job!!

Wow, great news about the new job!! Everything is going your way recently, bud. Keep this positive roll coming!

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

No doubt you deserve the new position with increased pay!!

oh thank jeebus u got the job! congrats dude.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Nice squats, bro. You'll nail 315 on that squat no problem. Good stuff about getting stuck in your belt, lol. Those holes will stretch out the more you use them. It doesn't help that the ones you drilled were smaller though. I love my belt. I only use it on my 90%+ 1RM lifts. Narrower grip on OH Press is definitely the way to go. The leverage is better for those shoulders to drive if you think about it. On the bent rows, it's ok to use a little english while doin them, just make sure you are not doing the Bent-Row-Bar-Hump at the top. You've seen this: the guy pulls the bar 3/4 of the way up, then jerks his chest into the bar to finish the rep. This is a good way to never increase on this movement because you never develop the strength to lock out the lift, which is like the most important part of the whole damn thing. Also congrats on the new job! That is definitely a load off your mind. You had better celebrate.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Congrats on the job...what is it that you'll be doing anyway?

Great news on the job.
    Top squatting as well. I have my hands just inside the ring on OHs too, mine used to be way too wide.

Quote Originally Posted by MJay View Post
    Great news on the job.
    Top squatting as well. I have my hands just inside the ring on OHs too, mine used to be way too wide.
    Thanks MJay. Yeah the grip width thing was a real revelation. I think I started doing that when I widened my bench grip.

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    Congrats on the job...what is it that you'll be doing anyway?
    Thanks bro. I'll be a "senior systems administrator", which means my job isn't 100% defined, I'll just be participating in or heading up various IT projects for this company. It's a nice step up from my current position.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    Nice squats, bro. You'll nail 315 on that squat no problem. Good stuff about getting stuck in your belt, lol. Those holes will stretch out the more you use them. It doesn't help that the ones you drilled were smaller though. I love my belt. I only use it on my 90%+ 1RM lifts. Narrower grip on OH Press is definitely the way to go. The leverage is better for those shoulders to drive if you think about it. On the bent rows, it's ok to use a little english while doin them, just make sure you are not doing the Bent-Row-Bar-Hump at the top. You've seen this: the guy pulls the bar 3/4 of the way up, then jerks his chest into the bar to finish the rep. This is a good way to never increase on this movement because you never develop the strength to lock out the lift, which is like the most important part of the whole damn thing. Also congrats on the new job! That is definitely a load off your mind. You had better celebrate.
    Thanks K, I think I will too. I made sure I widened the hole so getting stuck should no longer be an issue Yeah I don't know why I thought I needed to mess with my grip width on everything when I changed it on bench. Dumb. Narrower grip is way better. Lol, no bar humping here, at least in public. Yeah the job thing is huge, I couldn't have asked for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Wow, great news about the new job!! Everything is going your way recently, bud. Keep this positive roll coming!
    Thanks dude. This is honestly one of the best times of my life right now. A 315 squat PR coming up soon will be just another layer of icing on the awesomecake. It is gratifying to think that my degree will finally be paying off.

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    oh thank jeebus u got the job! congrats dude.
    Indeed! Thanks bro.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    No doubt you deserve the new position with increased pay!!
    Thanks Coke, I'd like to think so, as I'm pretty underpaid at my current position. I can't take all the credit, as the timing is just too perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    good hard work in here as usual, and congrats on the new job!!
    Thanks spike! Hopefully the hard work will pay off here with a new squat PR soon!

6/25/08

warmup: 5 minutes row machine

Bench:

bar x 10
    70 x 10
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    165 x 5
    165 x 4
    165 x 3

Tried a narrower grip tonight with pinkies on rings. It started fine, I was able to control the bar pretty well and my warmups felt more explosive, and 135 felt fine. But 165 didn't feel so great, it took forever to hit the top of the ROM since my arms were extending up more. I widened my grip after that but couldn't finish the last two sets. Will try again next time.

Deadlift:

135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    275 x 3
    (add chalk and belt) 315 x 1 + 1 + 3

Bah, the belt actually hurt me more than helped me. My first rep it was too loose, my 2nd it was digging into my stomach and bothering me, 3-5 I settled in and everything was fine. I wish I'd just left it off, as I think I'd have gotten 5 solid reps in. My hands got tore up again, you'd think such a commercial gym would have non-cheese-grater bars. This is why I bought a pumice stone.

Incline DB press:

50s x 3 x 5

Not bad, I may up it to 55s next time.

Fat Chin Ups:

Getting better.

Sidebends:

45 x 3 x 10 per side

I started out trying to save time by holding a 45 in each hand rather than transferring from one hand to another, and was like "Hey I'm doing great, these feel easy". Then I realized that duh, it's because each 45 is a counterbalance to another. I'm smrt.

HS dip machine:

140 x 2 x 5
    140 x 12

This was fine.

Ok workout. I'm disappointed about bench, but not surprised. My bench just sucks and I have to deal with it. I'll keep plugging away. The belt on deads was the real disappointment, I really hated wearing it.

yeesh that workout looked grueling. nice job messin around w/ bench. i cant bench worth **** anymore with pinkies on rings. gotta have rings on rings now haha.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Work in Progress
    I feel you on the belt. I hate wearing them. Thankfully i'm not at a heavy enough weight that I have to use one. Good job though man, especially on the deads. I hope see that 315 max on squat sometime soon.
    Last edited by Szust; 06-25-2008 at 10:48 PM.
    6'1" 250 lbs

310 Bench
    385 Squat
    460 Deadlift

1155 Total (raw)

All lifters go through that **** on the bench and what not, keep hanging tough bro.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    All lifters go through that **** on the bench and what not, keep hanging tough bro.
    Thanks for the comments Coke. It is frustrating, but there's nothing to do except keep plugging away at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Szust View Post
    I feel you on the belt. I hate wearing them. Thankfully i'm not at a heavy enough weight that I have to use one. Good job though man, especially on the deads. I hope see that 315 max on squat sometime soon.
    I like wearing a belt on squat, but on deads it sucked. Maybe I just need to get used to it. I thought it would be deads that would benefit more from it. Thanks. 315 should fall either Friday or Saturday depending on how things go. Probably Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    yeesh that workout looked grueling. nice job messin around w/ bench. i cant bench worth **** anymore with pinkies on rings. gotta have rings on rings now haha.
    Not as bad as you might think. I wonder if the Results really are helping or if I've just had good energy lately. I'm pretty skeptical of it but I'm trying to give it a fair shake since ALN was nice enough to send it to me for free, and I have to admit I have more energy lately than I usually do. And I haven't been sleeping right, either.

Thanks for the kind words Jeddinski. It was worth a shot but I think I'll try something in the middle next time. Going from index outside the ring to pinkie on the ring may have been too much of a change. Maybe I'll just try middle fingers. I'll call it the "**** you" grip

romantic relations w/bacon Indifference's Avatar
    Hey buddy, like they said gotta plug away at it. Such is the life of a weightlifter eh? Thats odd about the belt hurting you on deads, at least from my perspective. I dont like them on squats though so I guess everyone has their own thing. I agree on overly rough bars sucking, when it hurts to hold onto it with something you know shouldnt be heavy it really messes with your head. Id stick with one or the other on bench buddy. Either get used to the wide grip or the narrow grip if it doesnt cause you any issues. Just remember that for most guys if you put your pinky on the ring, unless your small with a small wingspan, thats primarily going to be a tricep press. I learned this recently by switching wider and losing a bit of pressing ability until my chest and delts catch up.
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

#'s will be up when I know them

That sucks your belt was bothering you so much, man. I find that happens to me sometimes if I don't position it just right. This is why I take a huge breath before I descend to setup. Then once I'm in setup position I can breath normally again and take another deep breath. It just seems to position the belt between my ribs and hips better for some reason. lol at "cheese-grater bars". I used to hate those, but I actually like rough bars now. I feel like they grab my hands better, but I do know what you're talking about. Ivanko bars are vicious when they are new. That's pretty damn funny about the sidebends with plates in each hand. I think I've done that before. Keep pushin though the workouts, bro, that belt will break in eventually.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Kswitch, looks like somethin's goin on with a belt or whatever. Get over it and smash some ****ing weights .

Nice job on those deads the other day, man! I have the same problem as you when I try to use a belt while doing deadlifts, and mine has been broken in for awhile. It's frustrating, I know. Solid work in here, sir. Keep it up!

solid job all around man!
    19 5'7 235
    No Belt/Wraps
    Squat ATG: 335x5
    Bench: 315x2
    Dead: 420x4

Journal:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-He-wants-MOAR!\

Quote Originally Posted by fooz View Post
    solid job all around man!
    Thanks foozie!

Quote Originally Posted by jbrin0tk View Post
    Nice job on those deads the other day, man! I have the same problem as you when I try to use a belt while doing deadlifts, and mine has been broken in for awhile. It's frustrating, I know. Solid work in here, sir. Keep it up!
    I just need to get used to it I guess. Maybe putting the buckle to the side will help. I'll give it a shot sometime. Thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    Kswitch, looks like somethin's goin on with a belt or whatever. Get over it and smash some ****ing weights .
    Thanks for the pep talk, coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    That sucks your belt was bothering you so much, man. I find that happens to me sometimes if I don't position it just right. This is why I take a huge breath before I descend to setup. Then once I'm in setup position I can breath normally again and take another deep breath. It just seems to position the belt between my ribs and hips better for some reason. lol at "cheese-grater bars". I used to hate those, but I actually like rough bars now. I feel like they grab my hands better, but I do know what you're talking about. Ivanko bars are vicious when they are new. That's pretty damn funny about the sidebends with plates in each hand. I think I've done that before. Keep pushin though the workouts, bro, that belt will break in eventually.
    Yeah, it wasn't that bad, just uncomfortable and distracting. I just gotta work with it some. Eventually my hands will toughen up enough to deal with the bars, but until then it's gonna suck. Thanks K.

Quote Originally Posted by Indifference View Post
    Hey buddy, like they said gotta plug away at it. Such is the life of a weightlifter eh? Thats odd about the belt hurting you on deads, at least from my perspective. I dont like them on squats though so I guess everyone has their own thing. I agree on overly rough bars sucking, when it hurts to hold onto it with something you know shouldnt be heavy it really messes with your head. Id stick with one or the other on bench buddy. Either get used to the wide grip or the narrow grip if it doesnt cause you any issues. Just remember that for most guys if you put your pinky on the ring, unless your small with a small wingspan, thats primarily going to be a tricep press. I learned this recently by switching wider and losing a bit of pressing ability until my chest and delts catch up.
    I must have overstated the belt thing, it didn't hurt that much it was just uncomfortable and distracting so I lost focus. I'm sure with some practice it'll get better.

I will probably go back to a wider grip, I was getting used to that. I have pretty long arms so I should be using whatever cheats I can. Thanks for the comments guy.

--

315 squat is omorrow. I'll stuff my face, wait a few hours, then hit it.

Work in Progress
    Can't wait for that squat PR! I want to come in here tomorrow and see that you broke it.
    6'1" 250 lbs

310 Bench
    385 Squat
    460 Deadlift

1155 Total (raw)

Thanks Szuster. Heh, am I becoming "that guy" who gives others nicknames?

Anyway, good day today.

6/29/08

Warmup: 5 minutes on elliptical, lots of stretching

Squat:

bar x 2 x 10
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    185 x 3
    225 x 1
    245 x 1
    265 x 1
    (add belt)
    315 x 1 (PR, I've never maxed before on squat) - This felt good, form was on and depth was on, so...
    335 x 1 (PR +20)

Awesome. I secretly thought I might be able to handle more than 315 but my only true goal was to make sure I hit 315. Also, something just clicked today and I finally think I got the hang of low-bar position. It makes it much easier to not GM out of the hole. I may have been able to do more if I hadn't done 315, but 335 was enough of a grinder that I didn't try for any more.

BO rows:

95 x 5
    135 x 2 x 5
    185 x 2 (PR I guess)
    135 x 5

Heh, I was feeling good and just wanted to give 185 a try. Way too heavy for reps, lol. I also tried out hook grip for practice as I intend to start using that for deadlift. It hurt but also felt more secure.

OH press:

bar x 10
    70 x 5
    95 x 3
    110 x 5
    110 x 2 x 4

I was pretty tired at this point so I didn't have 3x5 at this new weight in me. Next time.

Decline situps:

BW x 10
    BW x 2

Lol my core just said no to situps today.

HS Shrugs:

220 x 3 x 5
    255 x 5

255 didn't feel too bad so I think I'll move up to that on my working sets next time.

20 minutes cardio.

Playlist:

Mercenary - Architect of Lies
    MErcenary - The Hours that Remain
    (check these guys out if you get a chance, awesome power/melodic death metal)

Overall a great workout for me. 3 pps on squat was awesome, and the extra 20 lbs after that was icing on the cake. I don't even really care about missing my OH presses.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 06-29-2008 at 07:54 PM.

Work in Progress
    Wow, good job on the squat killxswitch. 335 is way better than what I was hoping to see. And I love Mercenary. Hours that Remain is an awesome melodeath album.
    6'1" 250 lbs

310 Bench
    385 Squat
    460 Deadlift

1155 Total (raw)

Nice squat PR man. Everbody squats a lot except for me.

awesome PR dude. look, you have me beat in something now! oh, and are Mercenary and Marcenary two different bands?
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW