The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Howdy Kill

WoW ! That took a bit o time to read; well, thats what I get for dropping off the face of the earth.

Was impressive to see when you started to what you are pushing now in the gym - VERY impressive and outstanding work.

Congrats on the kiddo and the job!!!

Look forward to reading more.
    37 y/o, 6'1
    Current Weight: 265 Current BF: 21%+

Online Journal

"Its simple; if it jiggles, its fat" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Good job man on gettin some work in despite the injury. I've been dealing with a wrist injury that's kept me out of the gym for almost a week now and its still not 100%, so I feel your pain. Hope it heals up for you soon so you can get back to really smashing those weights!
    "Obsession is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated."

Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=111020

Good to see the effort in any case man.

Good to see you back in the gym getting work done.
    My Journal
    BP:250 DL:455 SQ:375 T:1080

Awesome squat PR a couple weeks back. Everything is looking good, although it sucks to hear about the injury. I hope it's not too serious.

i hear you on lifting after not being in the gym a while. still good work though

Wannabebig Member
    nice work man by trying to tough it out. its so frustrating not being able to lift 100%, especially when it seems like something minor. just do what lifts you can so u dont injure yourself more
    "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."...Joshua 1:9

Quote Originally Posted by mmmduff View Post
    nice work man by trying to tough it out. its so frustrating not being able to lift 100%, especially when it seems like something minor. just do what lifts you can so u dont injure yourself more
    Thanks bro. It was frustrating. Hopefully I can get back in the groove soon.

Quote Originally Posted by dblockspky View Post
    i hear you on lifting after not being in the gym a while. still good work though
    Thanks dblock. My back seems to have forgotten what deadlifting feels like, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Awesome squat PR a couple weeks back. Everything is looking good, although it sucks to hear about the injury. I hope it's not too serious.
    Thanks Jorge. That was probably the most satisfying thing I've done since I started lifting. It wasn't serious and seems to have worked itself out for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Pitt View Post
    Good to see you back in the gym getting work done.
    Thanks Dirk.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Good to see the effort in any case man.
    Thanks Coke.

Quote Originally Posted by philly08 View Post
    Good job man on gettin some work in despite the injury. I've been dealing with a wrist injury that's kept me out of the gym for almost a week now and its still not 100%, so I feel your pain. Hope it heals up for you soon so you can get back to really smashing those weights!
    Thanks man. Injuries suck. I've been fortunate enough to not have anything too terribly serious. Keep taking care of that wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by OneBadUnit View Post
    Howdy Kill

WoW ! That took a bit o time to read; well, thats what I get for dropping off the face of the earth.

Was impressive to see when you started to what you are pushing now in the gym - VERY impressive and outstanding work.

Congrats on the kiddo and the job!!!

Look forward to reading more.
    I was about to say "who you calling kiddo?" until I noticed your age in your sig. Heh. Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate the kind words. It is nice to look back at where I started in December and see how far I've come. I still have a long journey ahead of me though.

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    hopefully that right shoulder/trap/whatever gets better soon dude. sucks to hear about it. not a bad workout though.
    Thanks jedster.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrin0tk View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about your trap issues. I hope that it heals up soon for you, man. Good job on the squats after the little layoff you had. Layoffs always kind of screw with you in terms of what you can do when you get back from one. Good luck, man!
    Thanks man. Layoffs suck, but the only thing to do is get back to it. Hopefully the pain of getting back to it will make me avoid these little breaks in the future.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 07-18-2008 at 08:34 AM.

7/17/08

warmup: 5 minutes elliptical, stretching

bench:

bar x 10
    95 x 5
    115 x 5
    135 x 5
    165 x 3 x 3

This is what I get for being inconsistent.

Deadlift:

(overhand grip)
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    (add chalk, neutral grip)
    275 x 5
    315 x 5

I'm tired of dicking around with 3 plates, I've been doing the same weight for months with little progress, time to deload.

DB incline:

55s x 3 x 5

Felt heavy, but ok.

Fat chins:

BW x 3 x 5

Hard. Again I'm paying for my inconsistency. My right trap started to feel funny again during these too, but 12 hrs. later it feels fine.

HS dip machine:

180 x 3 x 5

Not hard, time to move up.

Kind of a mixed bag. My main lifts, bench and dead, weren't good, and neither were the chins. But I moved up in weight on inclines and the dips were easy.

not too bad. go hit it again in a few days and keep at it. you'll be fine
    PRs: B/S/D/T 235/295/435/965
    My Journal

New Goal: Explore my body's potential

Don`t worry about it. Everyone has their rough days. Just keep going and adding weight to the bar and you'll be smashing PRs in no time.

good workout man. thats the one thing thats holdin u back, u gotta keep gettin in there day after day.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

I say to hell with lifting for you...your wife has a bun in the oven..this means your "father strength" is soon to kick in. Just start drinking a lot of beer and eating steaks and being a fat ass in general and you'll have it in no time.

Props for staying on it dude.

Work in Progress
    Glad to see you going at it again kxs... what is this HS dip machine though?
    6'1" 250 lbs

310 Bench
    385 Squat
    460 Deadlift

1155 Total (raw)

Deload? Try some heavy singles, doubles, triples. I don't think I've seen that from you for a while. Just keep pushing yourself. Throw the weight on, focus, scream a little and pull.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Deload? Try some heavy singles, doubles, triples. I don't think I've seen that from you for a while. Just keep pushing yourself. Throw the weight on, focus, scream a little and pull.
    You think that'll help more? I'll try whatever. On the bright side my grip is getting better so with enough chalk I think I could handle a heavy single or double.

Quote Originally Posted by Szust View Post
    Glad to see you going at it again kxs... what is this HS dip machine though?
    Me too. HS = hammer strength. I do the machine for now because I'm not strong enough to dip my unfortunate girth for more than a rep or two.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Props for staying on it dude.
    Thanks Coke, I always appreciate the support.

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    I say to hell with lifting for you...your wife has a bun in the oven..this means your "father strength" is soon to kick in. Just start drinking a lot of beer and eating steaks and being a fat ass in general and you'll have it in no time.
    Lol. I don't think I'll throw in the towel yet, but I could use some Dad strength. Actually being a dad is one of the main reasons I'm lifting. Nothing worse than a kid who thinks (or knows) his dad is a pussy. I'm down for the steaks and beer though

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    good workout man. thats the one thing thats holdin u back, u gotta keep gettin in there day after day.
    Thanks jed. You're totally right. I make the best gains when I string together some solid weeks of work. This choppy on-again-off-again BS isn't doing me much good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Don`t worry about it. Everyone has their rough days. Just keep going and adding weight to the bar and you'll be smashing PRs in no time.
    Not worried per se, just tired of lackluster performance that I could prevent by being more consistent. The injury was one thing, but... well nevermind. Yeah, just gotta get back at it. Thanks Jorge.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLion View Post
    not too bad. go hit it again in a few days and keep at it. you'll be fine
    Thanks bro. Yeah just gotta keep at it. Ain't nothing to do but to do it, or however it's said.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 07-18-2008 at 05:34 PM.

Good to hear your grip is getting better. When was the last time you pushed yourself on deads? You've got to be in the right mental state, but go for it! At least then you can say you attempted it and pushed yourself.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

When I first started lifting (first 2-3 months I guess) I had a great mindset and thought deads were easy. Then it's like I hit a wall and have been mind****ing myself ever since because 3 pps seems like such a big deal.

Dude, you're repping 3pps. That is a big deal. Now just bust your ass and hit 4pps. There's nothing to think about, just ****ing do it.

not bad work at all dude. I hate when it feels like you've been doing the same **** over and over without any progress. I think I've squatted the same amount for about 5 years haha. Think I hit a plateau?

Jesus, your journal blew up since you joined The Whore Club, lol. Inconsistent or not, nice workout, bro. I'm with Keith: start hittin some heavy singles on that DL and push the envelope. It's the only way to make progress. Just listen to your body and if that trap is sayin "no", let it rest. How's the pregnancy goin?
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Work in Progress
    I know how you feel about the deadlifts. After I missed 365 (15 less than my PR) for a single on an ME day, I haven't been the same since. Why not just try adding a little bit of weight and going from there? Whenever I go heavy sets of low reps, just adding minute amounts of weight works for me. It doesn't psych me out.
    6'1" 250 lbs

310 Bench
    385 Squat
    460 Deadlift

1155 Total (raw)

Well dude I would say to make sure you are healed up and then start hitting it often and heavy again and you strength will go up. Also, you liar. Deadlifts are NEVER easy, and if they are than you just aren't doing enough weight Although I will say that when I first started I used to get all excited about pulling and that has faded a little. They just take soooo much out of me, and with my testicle issue right now I am afraid to pull until I get the all clear from the urologist.
    My Journal
    BP:250 DL:455 SQ:375 T:1080

Hey man, I see that you haven't posted in awhile but I just wanted to stop in and say hey. I hope you are well, man!