The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 22 of 43 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Nice deadlifting kill.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Get back into the gym, you lazy bastard...
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

I like stuff.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Work in Progress
    kxs... come back to us...
    6'1" 250 lbs

310 Bench
    385 Squat
    460 Deadlift

1155 Total (raw)

Where have you been?

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

Hey guys. Here's an update for those who care.

With my wife being pregnant I've had to take on a lot more responsibilities around the house. For a while she was sick every day and at one point had to be admitted to the hospital. She's doing ok now, thankfully. A lot better. Apparently the first trimester (for her, 1.5 trimesters) is the worst, then it gets better.

So anyway, I chose to stop lifting so I could take care of other stuff. I didn't particularly want to but it really wasn't a hard decision. Sometimes you just have to take care of stuff.

Now that wife is feeling better I will hopefully be able to lift regularly again. However, my new employer blocks message boards, and most of my WBB surfing used to be done at work, so I probably won't be on here nearly as much. I will try to comment on peoples' journals occasionally, but I doubt I will be beating anyone to that 1000 lb. total now

Don't worry about the total. You've got your priorities and I'd say you're making the right choice given your circumstances. I hope you and your wife have a healthy baby!

Thanks Jorge. Yep, right choices were made. Now it's time to get strong so my kid doesn't think his dad's a pussy.

First day back (9/1/08) - I lost some strength, of course. But I set what I thought would be decent goals for my first day back and I met them.

I've switched to a 5x5 program, you can read about it here.

Squat:

bar x 10
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    185 x 3
    205 x 5 x 5

Tougher than I thought it would be. It's weird to think I was once able to squat 335, that seems miles away from me now.

Bench:

bar x 10
    70 x 5
    95 x 5
    135 x 5 x 5

Tough but not as bad as squat.

Barbell Rows:

95 x 5 x 5

I'm really really deloading on these and building up slowly with good form. Previously I jerked the hell out of the bar using my hips/lower back.

Dip Machine (still can't do a real dip, heh)

140 x 5 x 5

EZ bar curls

50 x 3 x 8

Not part of the program but they take like 5 minutes and I want to do them.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 09-03-2008 at 08:15 PM.

romantic relations w/bacon Indifference's Avatar
    Hey man youve got your priorities where they should be, no need to feel bad. I like how you said you dont want your kid to think your a pussy haha that made me laugh out loud. You know what to do bro, let the work commence. Good squats too btw!
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

#'s will be up when I know them

Thanks Indifference. I don't feel bad about it at all, actually. It was the right choice. It sucks that I have to build back up again, but oh well. If my legs feel ok tomorrow (because man they dont' feel good at all today, haha) I'll hit it again.

Ahh, no worries. Get in whatever you can. No one trains seriously here anymore. T.J.W. have totally fallen apart and there's only a couple of us that still post... literally. At least you know where your priorities are. Excited to be a father?!

Great to see the effort...hang tough dude, you still have a ways to go before the new arrival takes place.
    Last edited by Coke; 09-04-2008 at 06:02 AM.

Nice work. Your strength will be back in no time.

Work in Progress
    Glad to hear that everything is going well kxs, especially with the baby, and we're all glad you're back. Hope to see you get into a groove and toss some weight around.
    6'1" 250 lbs

310 Bench
    385 Squat
    460 Deadlift

1155 Total (raw)

Quote Originally Posted by Szust View Post
    Glad to hear that everything is going well kxs, especially with the baby, and we're all glad you're back. Hope to see you get into a groove and toss some weight around.
    Glad to be back brother. While the 5x5 program might not be the best for gaining my strength back quickly (more volume) I think the base of strength that I rebuild will be that much better and will ultimately benefit me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Nice work. Your strength will be back in no time.
    Thanks, I hope you're right. Last time it took about a month so I anticipate maybe 1.5 months this time.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Great to see the effort...hang tough dude, you still have a ways to go before the new arrival takes place.
    Thanks Coke. Yeah the idea is to get as much lifting in as possible before the baby is born. I hope I have time afterward, but everyone says my free time will disappear at that time, so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Ahh, no worries. Get in whatever you can. No one trains seriously here anymore. T.J.W. have totally fallen apart and there's only a couple of us that still post... literally. At least you know where your priorities are. Excited to be a father?!
    That's too bad. I'm sure they'll cycle back around eventually, that seems to be the nature of this place. Maybe they have good reasons. Or maybe they're busy getting smashed at college parties. Yeah I'm excited! Still don't know if it's a girl or boy. I am hoping boy but the ultrasound is inconclusive, which often means a girl. I'm fine with that. As long as he/she is healthy I'll be thrilled.

PS no workout tonight, I still have trouble walking. Squats suck if you don't do them consistently!
    Last edited by killxswitch; 09-04-2008 at 07:42 PM.

hey dude..glad you're back. It seemed pointless to post with out you here so I guess I can come back out of hiding.

But really...welcome back...good to have you here
    again and good luck with the new program.
    Last edited by borracho; 09-05-2008 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    hey dude..glad you're back. It seemed pointless to post with out you here so I guess I can come back out of hiding.

But really...welcome back...good to have you here
    again and good luck with the new program.

Well that was a tad dramatic. I'm glad to be back though. I'll post thoughts occasionally about the new program. I'm back to squatting heavy 3x a week (supposedly, we'll see).

9/6/08

Squat:

bar x 10
    95 x 5
    135 x 4
    185 x 3
    210 x 5 x 5

Hard. I hope my legs don't feel as bad this time.

OH Press:

bar x 10
    55 x 5
    75 x 5 x 5

Deadlift:

135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5

Tougher than expected.

Fat Pullups:

BW x 2 x 4
    BW x 3

I hope these are actually increasing strength in the muscles used for real pullups.

HS Shrug Machine:

165 x 5 x 5

Easy.

10 minutes cardio to get some blood flowing in my legs.

My stamina was better for this workout I think. My back felt a little funny after squats (dangit) so I wore my belt for deads.

Nice job, liking the 5 x 5 on the squats and overheads.
    Last edited by Coke; 09-06-2008 at 06:59 PM.

Work in Progress
    Ha, those fat pull ups will definitely get you strong. I started out being able to do maybe 4 bodyweight pull ups, now I can do 15+. Back strength goes up fast, and hopefully the funny feeling amounts to nothing.
    6'1" 250 lbs

310 Bench
    385 Squat
    460 Deadlift

1155 Total (raw)

romantic relations w/bacon Indifference's Avatar
    Good work bro, 5x5 will wreck you, I tried once, never again!
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

#'s will be up when I know them

Banned
    great work on the 5x5s! They'll kick your ass the first few times you do them, especially on squats. What routine are you following?

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    great work on the 5x5s! They'll kick your ass the first few times you do them, especially on squats. What routine are you following?
    Thanks Red. Yeah I can see how this might wear me down eventually. The routine I'm following can be found here. I'll be on that until I can squat 1.5x my body weight, then I'll move to the advanced program (which seems alot like the Madcow 5x5), which is also on that website.

Quote Originally Posted by Indifference View Post
    Good work bro, 5x5 will wreck you, I tried once, never again!
    Thanks dude. I know 5x5 can be killer, that's why I went down so much in weight. Well that and because I pussed out alot b/c of my hiatus. Hopefully I can stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Szust View Post
    Ha, those fat pull ups will definitely get you strong. I started out being able to do maybe 4 bodyweight pull ups, now I can do 15+. Back strength goes up fast, and hopefully the funny feeling amounts to nothing.
    Good to hear man. My lats are pretty sore today so I must've done something to them. I'd be able to do these better if I could just drop some weight, obviously. I'm almost up to 250 now

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Nice job, liking the 5 x 5 on the squats and overheads.
    Thanks coke, I like it too though it really takes it out of me. That's kind of the idea though, more intensity should mean more fat loss.

hehe...I bet you are hating yourself about as much as I am with this 5x5 nonsense...glad to see you back at it dude.

Looking good in here.