The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Hey man, those squats are looking real good for not training in awhile! Glad to have you back and I hope all is well at home with the wife and baby. Good luck to you, man!

Quote Originally Posted by jbrin0tk View Post
    Hey man, those squats are looking real good for not training in awhile! Glad to have you back and I hope all is well at home with the wife and baby. Good luck to you, man!
    Heh, thanks. They feel ok. Not up to "real good" yet, but getting there. I appreciate the sentiments as always jbrin0tk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Looking good in here.
    Thanks mang.

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    hehe...I bet you are hating yourself about as much as I am with this 5x5 nonsense...glad to see you back at it dude.
    Thanks bro. Ha ha, yeah, about that 5x5...

9/11/08

Squat:

bar x 10
    95 x 5
    135 x 4
    185 x 2
    215 x 3 x 5

Went back to 3x5. I didn't eat lunch that day and I was tired. Plus I'm fat so I wear out easily

Bench:

bar x 10
    95 x 5
    140 x 3 x 5

3x5 again, same reasons though I was less tired for this.

Barbell Rows:

95 x 5
    105 x 3 x 5

You get the idea.

Dip Machine

145 x 3 x 5

EZ bar curlz

55 x 2 x 8, 55 x 4

15 minutes on elliptical

I have to decide if I was just tired that day or if doing 3x5 til I get back to where I was previously is the best idea.

On one hand 3x5 seems like it'd help me progress faster. Faster workouts and more of a guarantee that I'll move up in weight each week.

On the other hand, 5x5 will give me more volume, which should help me build my strength base to be ultimately stronger than I was before.

My original short-term goal when I started back was to get back to where I was in strength before I stopped, then focus on losing fat while maintaining as much strength and muscle as possible.

I'm leaning toward 3x5 until I get caught up. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

edit: I forgot to mention something - there was a guy at the gym wearing jeans, a shiny button-down club-type shirt, and a trucker hat working out on 9/11/08 at my gym. He was at his coolest when he did some sort of bicep curls using the Hammerstrength shrug machine. I felt like helping him, but couldn't think of a way to say something that wouldn't make him feel like a complete idiot.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 09-12-2008 at 07:11 PM.

Looks like your strength is coming back nicely.

I'd stick with the 3x5, if I were you. It should be plenty of volume.

Wow dude, really going to town and doing great.

Looks good. I know everyone is a little different, but when I started doing sets of 5 reps ( anywhere from 3 to 5 sets depending on the exercise and how I felt that day ) is when I gained the most strength and size, I think it will work out great for you.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    Went back to 3x5. I didn't eat lunch that day and I was tired. Plus I'm incredibly fat, lazy, weak, and fat so I wear out easily ... fat.

Is our bet getting to the 1000 lb club still on? It looks like your strength is coming back nicely, brah!

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

...uh, so..um..WTF?!

Hi fellas. I suck. But, I'm a dad now and so I'm busy. But we're going to move soon, which means this is going in the garage -

300 lbs. of weight, standard size olympic bar, full-size power rack with chinup bar, dip bars, and two sets of adjustable safety bars and J hooks, adjustable bench, and bonus curl bar. For $250. Thank you Craigs List.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by killxswitch; 05-04-2009 at 09:30 AM.

Congrats on becoming a dad, good luck in your new place, and good luck getting back to the workouts.

Nice to see you back dude..was wondering what the hell happened.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Congrats on becoming a dad, good luck in your new place, and good luck getting back to the workouts.
    Thanks Coke, you're as consistent as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    Nice to see you back dude..was wondering what the hell happened.
    Thanks. My daughter happened. I'm back on the website to encourage and kill time when I have it, but I don't have the space in my current house for the power rack and I don't have the time or patience for the gyms in my area. I have been jumping rope though to lose fat. It's harder than I thought it would be, and boring, but it works and I don't have to pay $35/month to do it.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 05-04-2009 at 09:17 AM.

holy chit, nice to see youre still alive my friend. congrats on fatherhood, thats more important than anything. hopefully you can find the time to get some workouts started back up too.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Congrats on your baby daughter, bro. Glad everything went alright and that you were able to come on back to journal land. Your new gym should be pretty sweet for minimal cash if you do it right. Let me know when you want some help with it.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    Congrats on your baby daughter, bro. Glad everything went alright and that you were able to come on back to journal land. Your new gym should be pretty sweet for minimal cash if you do it right. Let me know when you want some help with it.
    Thanks K. There were some complications but she is healthy and usually happy now. I figure for $225 I already have most of what I need to get started, which is sweet. I will need more plates, the platform, etc, but the power rack, bar, bench, and beginning plates are the base, and I've got that now.

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    holy chit, nice to see youre still alive my friend. congrats on fatherhood, thats more important than anything. hopefully you can find the time to get some workouts started back up too.
    Jed, good to see you're still around. Yep, alive and well. Thanks for the well wishes. Fatherhood has definitely changed me for the better. I'll get back to working out once we're in the new house (hopefully by July-ish). Until then I'm getting my "workouts" by re-landscaping my yard, remodeling a bathroom, removing some roots and stumps, etc.

romantic relations w/bacon Indifference's Avatar
    Its good to have you back bro! Congrats on being a dad n stuff. Now your goal needs to switch to *make first boyfriend **** pants on sight*! Hahah you need to be the dad that everybody (including myself) has been afraid of when picking up a girl at one point or another. Lookin forward to havin you postin regularly again man, welcome back.
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

#'s will be up when I know them

Quote Originally Posted by Indifference View Post
    Its good to have you back bro! Congrats on being a dad n stuff. Now your goal needs to switch to *make first boyfriend **** pants on sight*! Hahah you need to be the dad that everybody (including myself) has been afraid of when picking up a girl at one point or another. Lookin forward to havin you postin regularly again man, welcome back.
    You know I don't like telling people that in real life but it is true. I need to intimidate the hell out of any punk so he doesn't get any stupid ideas. Though she's going to be smart and tough enough to handle herself in those situations, I will make sure of that. Thanks for the congrats.

Work in Progress
    Great to have you back Kxs. Once again congrats on the daughter. All I have to worry about is grades and I have enough trouble fitting lifting in all the time, I can't imagine what it must be like with a baby. Hopefully you get right back to where you were and blast through those old PRs, and nice find with that weight set.
    6'1" 250 lbs

310 Bench
    385 Squat
    460 Deadlift

1155 Total (raw)

I figured you may be more inclined to posting in your journal if I bump it up to the first page so here you go!
    Last edited by borracho; 01-18-2011 at 10:09 PM.

How 'bout an update, lol.

I'm with borracho
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

GTFBUT (Get The **** Back Up There)

Page 1 till an update, dammit.
    Last edited by borracho; 01-20-2011 at 01:04 PM.

Lol I only just noticed this. Ok ok ok I will cave in to peer pressure.

I am doing the Stronglifts.com 5x5 routine. Pretty standard, it's basically Starting Strength with a little more volume.

Workout A - Squat 5x5, Bench 5x5, barbell row 5x5
    Workout B - Squat 5x5, Deadlift 1x5, Overhead Press 5x5
    3x a week, ABA followed by BAB the next week, repeat, repeat

I started on 1/12/2011. It was not a New Years Resolution but the timing makes it look that way I guess.

1/12

Squat - 135 x 5 x 5
    Bench - 105 x 5 x 5
    BB Row - 95 x 5 x 5

1/14

Squat - 145 x 5 x 5
    DL - 135 x 5
    OHP - 65 x 5 x 5

1/17

Squat - 155 x 5 x 5
    Bench 115 x 5 x 5
    BB Row - 105 x 5 x 5

1/20

Squat - 160 x 5 x 5
    DL - 145 x 5
    OHP - 70 x 5 x 5

1/22

Squat - 165 x 5 x 5
    Bench - 120 x 5 x 5
    BB Row - 110 x 5 x 5

1/25

Squat - 170 x 5 x 5
    DL - 150 x 5
    OHP - 75 x 5 x 5

1/27

Squat - 175 x 5 x 5
    Bench - 125 x 5 x 5
    BB Row - 115 x 5 x 5

1/29

Squat - 180 x 5 x 5
    DL - 155 x 5
    OHP - 80 x 5 x 5

2/ 1

Squat - 185 x 5 x 5
    Bench - 145 x 5 x 5 (woops I goofed on plate math, should've only been 130 but hey I got it)
    BB Row - 120 x 5 x 5

Nothing impressive at all but I am intentionally increasing the weight very slowly. I am building a base of strength and just letting the numbers slide up and up every week. I will probably drop the squats to 3 x 5 because doing 75 heavy reps every week is going to bother me eventually. The important thing to me is not that I set a bunch of PRs, but that I stay consistent with my training.

This will be easier because I do all my lifting at home in my basement. The ceiling is low so standing OHP is not possible. But overall even as cramped as it is I really like having the power rack at home.

In personal news we sold our old house and found a new one (with the basement) this past summer. And about 3.5 months ago my wife told me she is pregnant again. Kiddo #2 is due sometime in July. Also, we have a ton of ice covering everything here in Indianapolis. Here's hoping we don't lose power and that no trees fall on the house.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 02-02-2011 at 01:12 PM.

Slow, steady and consistent gains are the way to go bud...
    Congrats on the house and kid! You'll be a busy man this summer for sure. Glad to see updates in here.

Thank you sir. Yes this will be a busy summer. Time is already moving too quickly. I think that is just part of getting older.

2/3/2011

Squat
    bar x 10
    135 x 5
    187.5 x 5 x 5

3rd set felt funny like the right side was heavier but overall it was fine. Turns out I put too much weight on the right side like an idiot. It should've been 190. I will still increase to 195 next time.

Deadlift
    135 x 3
    160 x 5

I've been bumping this up by 5 lbs. each session but I think I will start upping it by 10 lbs. every other session until I can't anymore. 160 doesn't feel like much at all especially when I'm only doing 1x5.

OHP
    bar x 10
    85 x 5 x 5

My goal with this in the short term is to not stall before I hit 100 lbs. It was more challenging than squat or DL.

In and out pretty quick. My right IT band is starting to hurt like it used to so I need to get a foam roller.