The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Foam rollers save wives..I mean lives. Believe that.
    Where were you on DLs? Mid 300s right?

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    Foam rollers save wives..I mean lives. Believe that.
    Where were you on DLs? Mid 300s right?
    Yeah but my form was not the best. Impressive memory. I jumped up way too fast on DL which is one of the reasons behind going slower, but 5 lbs. each session is just a little too slow.

Going slow/steady is definitely the right way to approach it for longevity...keep at it man.

No lifting tonight. I spent 1.5 hours trying to clear snow and ice off my driveway. Lower back hurts and I am wiped so I'm doing it tomorrow instead.

2/6/11 post-Super Bowl session

Congrats to cheeseheads everywhere.

Squat

bar x 10
    135 x 3
    195 x 5 x 5

Bench

bar x 10
    145 x 5 x 5

This was challenging but I got through it.

Barbell Rows
    125 x 5 x 5

Not difficult but I really felt my lats working on these.

Quick lifting, in and out like I like it. I will eventually add accessory lifts but right now I don't need them.

edit:

Prone bridge
    3 x 30 seconds

Reverse crunches
    3 x 15
    Last edited by killxswitch; 02-06-2011 at 10:52 PM.

GO PACKERS BROTHER!!

Weights have been increasing nicely and slowly in here man, I like teh way you're going about it. What's your BW at these days? Are you just aiming to "get back in it" now, get stronger, lose fat, gain muscle or what?
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Hey jed, I thought you were a Packers fan. That was an exciting game and I'm sure you're very happy today. Nothing like a SB win for your team.

Bodyweight is floating around 232ish, +/- a couple pounds. I was up to 250 last spring but lost 20 lbs. over the summer. My goal for this year is to get to a 1000 lb. total. I am not worried about body weight or fat loss right now but I am not eating ridiculously, either. Just trying to bump my numbers back up. My bench is actually already about back to where it was but that is just a testament to how bad I am at bench press.

When it gets warmer out I will do something about body fat but there is still a 2" sheet of ice on my lawn and driveway so I guess by default I am bulking.

Definitely a great win, man and great feeling! Hear you on the not caring about BW until spring... I have trouble enough going to the gym because it's cold outside, let alone actually doing anything worthwhile outside. Cool deal man. Are you going to 1RM anything soon or just rep out?
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

I'm not sure. My 5x5 program is a 12 week cycle. Maybe I will max at the end of that.

2/9/2011

Squat
    bar x 10
    135 x 3
    185 x 3
    200 x 3 x 5

My knee and hip felt bad last time after squats. I need to back off on so many squats per week, 3x5 should still be sufficient.

DL

165 x 5

I think I was supposed to up this by 10 lbs not 5 but I didn't. Next time.

OHP

90 x 5 x 5

Challenging but none were "grinders".

I've now done 4 weeks on this 5x5 program. I've found a new program I want to try but program ADD gets people in trouble. I am going to try to stick with 5x5 for the full 12 weeks. By then I am pretty sure I'll be tired of squatting heavy 3x a week. I am already kind of sick of it. But overall I am making decent progress with this program so I don't think boredom is a good reason to switch.

Garage Lifter
    Good luck on whatever you choose. I've done squatting programs that are 3x per week and once per week. The first was too much and the second not enough. Sure you'll figure it out. For your hips and knees, have you moved your squat stance in? Also, sleeves have saved my knees.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Smart move staying with what you're doing right now...as long as you have a path forward thats the way to go. Nice job on the lifts...I remember when I'd squat/DL multiple times per week...it was hell!!

Smart move staying with what you're doing right now...as long as you have a path forward thats the way to go. Nice job on the lifts...I remember when I'd squat/DL multiple times per week...it was hell!!
    I think it is the right move. I've gained around 4 lbs since I started but I look slimmer and my arms, legs, and chest are a bit bigger/better looking so it would probably be bad to switch. Thanks as always borracho.

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Good luck on whatever you choose. I've done squatting programs that are 3x per week and once per week. The first was too much and the second not enough. Sure you'll figure it out. For your hips and knees, have you moved your squat stance in? Also, sleeves have saved my knees.
    Thanks for dropping in. I have not tried moving my stance in but I may do that. When I first started squatting in 08 I had too narrow of a stance and it was causing some pain so I widened it and that improved, but I may have gone too far in the other direction. I will stick with 3x/week for now but I think dropping to 3x5 is the right move. I have a birthday coming up so a neck harness may be in my future.

2/11/2011

Bench

bar x 10
    135 x 3
    150 x 5 x 5

A challenge but not too bad.

Squat

bar x 10
    135 x 3
    205 x 3 x 5

Heavy but again not too bad.

Barbell Rows

135 x 5 x 5

Feeling good after this one. On bench nights I am going to bench first instead of squat so I don't lose too much energy.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 02-11-2011 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    2/11/2011

On bench nights I am going to bench first instead of squat so I don't lose too much energy.
    This is a good idea. Back when I was on starting strength the only thing I really ever made progress on was squats (It worked really well too) but at the expense of everything else, especially deadlifts.
    Last edited by jbob1; 02-12-2011 at 12:25 AM.

2/13/2011

Squat
    bar x 10
    135 x 3
    185 x 3
    210 x 3 x 5

DL
    135 x 5
    175 x 5

OHP
    bar x 10
    95 x 5 x 5

Solid. Moving to 3x5 on squat continues to be a good move as I had plenty of energy. Not much to say on this one, I'm just progressing linearly like I'm supposed to.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 02-14-2011 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    Feeling good after this one. On bench nights I am going to bench first instead of squat so I don't lose too much energy.
    Sounds like a good idea. When I did B/S/D all on the same night I'd usually do squats first, then bench, then DLs...just to give my lower a rest after squats so I could be semi-recooped for DLs. But in your case I think you're doing the right thing cause your squats and DLs move pretty quickly. Nice work bud!

Garage Lifter
    nice looking session Paul
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant

nice looking session Paul
    Thanks.

Sounds like a good idea. When I did B/S/D all on the same night I'd usually do squats first, then bench, then DLs...just to give my lower a rest after squats so I could be semi-recooped for DLs. But in your case I think you're doing the right thing cause your squats and DLs move pretty quickly. Nice work bud!
    When I was doing Starting Strength I did the big 3 in one day. I don't miss that. I think SS is a great way to get started but doing the program exactly as is, is not for me. I need more volume on some lifts and less on others.

I've been thinking about making a neck harness out of dog leashes and chain. I think it will be pretty easy.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 02-14-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Bench
    bar x 10
    135 x 3
    155 x 5 x 5

These were very hard. Sets 2 and 3 especially. I hit a groove on 4 and 5 and finished out alright but it was pretty hard.

Squat
    bar x 10
    135 x 3
    185 x 2
    215 x 1
    215 x 3 x 5

These are getting challenging too but still not too bad. I think I did a good job of sitting back and getting my hams and butt into the lift.

Barbell Row
    135 x 3
    140 x 5 x 5 or 6

By this time I was feeling wiped out. At one point I wasn't sure if I was about to do set 3 or set 4. So I did either 5 or 6 sets, not sure but I am beat.

I hope I have more energy next time. I ate plenty today but haven't been sleeping that well.

Hey Kill, figured I'd stop in. Good effort today! Hey if you need some energy... I don't usually say anything about supps but I bought this stuff called 1 more rep, it's basically just caffeine and niacin, and it definitely wakes me right up. if I'm not lifting within 20 minutes of taking it i'm bouncing off the walls.

Thanks dude for the comments. I will keep your supplement suggestion in mind. I think more disciplined sleeping will do the trick but if it doesn't (or if I can't force myself to go to bed before midnight) I may check that out.

i'm in college and i usually can't sleep until 2 am... and wake up at 7:30... taking naps after classes work great. You gotta definitely get your 8 hours in a day bro or your gunna be dead. How much you weighing in at?
    Last edited by fooz; 02-17-2011 at 05:29 PM.
    19 5'7 235
    No Belt/Wraps
    Squat ATG: 335x5
    Bench: 315x2
    Dead: 420x4

Journal:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-He-wants-MOAR!\

Garage Lifter
    nice work Paul

Quote Originally Posted by fooz View Post
    i'm in college and i usually can't sleep until 2 am... and wake up at 7:30... taking naps after classes work great. You gotta definitely get your 8 hours in a day bro or your gunna be dead. How much you weighing in at?
    I'm somewhere around 235 right now. I was right at 230 when I started. It might not all be muscle but my waist has gotten smaller. I'd like to bulk/recomp until mid-spring and then cut down to 220ish for the summer.

nice work Paul
    Thanks.