Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: I says to myself, "Self, stop being fat and lazy."

Good deal man, see you got the new toys. Way to follow through with the squats while recovering.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Good deal man, see you got the new toys. Way to follow through with the squats while recovering.
    Thanks Coke. They are early birthday presents to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by fooz View Post
    hahahah +1 with the toe comment. good deal making through the lifts even with the toe bothering you. oh and nice grab with the harness and tshirt hhaha.
    I used the harness for the first time today, it's interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Neck Harness = Awesome

At least the toe will help you remember to sit back more
    Heh. I think I figured out how to deal with the toe.

3/12/2011

Bench

bar x 20
    135 x 3
    160 x 5 x 5

This was hard, as usual. But I still got through it. I think the RESULTS are kicking in toward the end of my sets.

Pendlay Rows

bar x 10
    145 x 5 x 5

I finally found my chalk recently and it helped keeping ahold of the new bar (which is thicker than the old one). These weren't bad.

I also supersetted some curls (2x10) with some skull crushers (2x15).

Did some neck harness, 25 lbs for 2x25. I was going for 4x25 but my kid started screaming and I had to cut it short. A downside of lifting at home.

I lifted barefoot which felt a lot better on my toe. Solid session.

That is a fine effort dude.

That is a fine effort dude.
    Thanks Coke.

The kid went to bed so I got the other 2 x 25 on neck raises.

Nice solid session, like you said! How old is your kid? If he's like five... throw him an xbox and some call of duty and you'll never have to cut your workout short! hahahahhah (assuming he's a boy)
    19 5'7 235
    No Belt/Wraps
    Squat ATG: 335x5
    Bench: 315x2
    Dead: 420x4

Journal:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-He-wants-MOAR!\

Garage Lifter
    nice work Paul looks like everything is clicking very well for you
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

nice work Paul looks like everything is clicking very well for you
    Yeah things are looking up. This toe did not really turn out to be that bad of a hindrance.

Nice solid session, like you said! How old is your kid? If he's like five... throw him an xbox and some call of duty and you'll never have to cut your workout short! hahahahhah (assuming he's a boy)
    Heh, it's a she and she's only 2. Best bet with her is to put on some Sesame Street or Wiggles on the TV.

3/14/2011

Squat

bar x 10
    135 x 5
    185 x 2
    205 x 2
    235 x 3 x 5

Deadlift

135 x 5
    185 x 5
    210 x 5

OH Press

bar x 10
    105 x 5 x 5

Neck Harness

25 lbs 4 x 25

Lifting barefoot works well right now. No toe pain. I may stick with it even after the toe heals. The neck harness is tricky, I get out of rhythm and the weight swings all over the place. Solid session though.

Garage Lifter
    great work Paul, are deadlifts getting challenging yet?
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant

great work Paul, are deadlifts getting challenging yet?
    Thank you. Can you tell me your first name? I've seen it in your journal but can't remember it.

The deads are not really very challenging yet, no. The squats are, really all the other lifts are. I've considered making 10 lb. jumps on deadlift every time instead of every other time but I am a little gunshy. Last time I did SS I jumped up way too fast on deadlifts and stalled forever in the low 300s. I am being patient, perhaps to a fault. I am trying to take Johnny Pain's advice to heart: "Don't be in a hurry to hit walls". What are your thoughts?

Garage Lifter
    My name's Matt, btw.

It depends on how easy they are. If 210 is basically a warmup weight then I'd bump it up some and then use small increments moving forward, if you've only got a couple reps left in the tank then keep going as you are.

With his own program JP has said several times that if you can get 10+ reps then you need to do a larger jump, how much larger depends on how many reps and the weight used. Hope that helps.

Thanks Matt. My problem isn't with strength in my back or legs but grip is a problem. I think if I jump up too much too quickly I will stall because I won't be able to hang onto the bar even though the rest of my body is ready to go. Thanks, you've given me some things to think about.

Garage Lifter
    If you're going to do a powerlifting meet you may want to add some static holds to help with grip, if you're not going to do a meet then just use straps.

Other options are to use a mixed grip if you aren't already and/or learn to use a hook grip.
    Last edited by StLRPh; 03-15-2011 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    Lifting barefoot works well right now. No toe pain. I may stick with it even after the toe heals.
    I've seen quite a bit of that, if it's working well for you, probably best to go for it.

Do you use chalk? That stuff will help your grip a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by jbob1 View Post
    Do you use chalk? That stuff will help your grip a lot.
    Yes I do. One of the things I like about working out at home vs. a gym where I have to hide it.

I've seen quite a bit of that, if it's working well for you, probably best to go for it.
    I think I will stick with it until I have a reason not to.

If you're going to do a powerlifting meet you may want to add some static holds to help with grip, if you're not going to do a meet then just use straps.

Other options are to use a mixed grip if you aren't already and/or learn to use a hook grip.
    The static holds are a good idea. I have done them before but never consistently. Thanks Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    I am being patient, perhaps to a fault. I am trying to take Johnny Pain's advice to heart: "Don't be in a hurry to hit walls". What are your thoughts?
    I know it sucks to do it that way but I think you will progress a lot better in the long run that way. Glad to see you still at it bud! Hope you enjoy the toys.

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    I know it sucks to do it that way but I think you will progress a lot better in the long run that way. Glad to see you still at it bud! Hope you enjoy the toys.
    Thanks borracho my friend. The new bar and everything else are great additions.

March 17 2011

bench
    bar x 10
    135 x 3
    165 lbs 3 x 5
    165 x 3
    165 x 1

Bad news is I did not complete my 5 sets of 5. Good news is this miss happened much later than it has in the past. It was a little frustrating but not that bad.

Pendlay rows

135 x 3
    150 x 5 x 5

These flew up. I channeled a little aggression about my bench set and really knocked these out.

Neck harness

25 lbs - 4 x 25

I'm getting the hang of this, the plate doesn't flop all over the place as much.

Also some tricep and bicep isolation stuff thrown in at the end.

So my question is, do I try for 165 for 5x5 again next time, go ahead and just move up to 170 for 5x5 and see what happens, or go ahead and deload down to about 150 and start moving back up again?

dude, what happened with the 165 5x5? you did 160 5x5 last bench session??
    19 5'7 235
    No Belt/Wraps
    Squat ATG: 335x5
    Bench: 315x2
    Dead: 420x4

Journal:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-He-wants-MOAR!\

It may be safe to suggest backing up to 155 5x5 for the overall integrity of this type plan, that is where I would take it. But everyone is so different, you may be able to pull off the 165 5x5 next time, who knows?
    Last edited by Coke; 03-17-2011 at 08:09 PM.

It may be safe to suggest backing up to 155 5x5 for the overall integrity of this type plan, that is where I would take it. But everyone is so different, you may be able to pull off the 165 5x5 next time, who knows?
    The more I've thought about it I think I am going to give 165 another shot and then deload a bit like you said. I have not gotten a lot of sleep this week and from past experience it seems like that plays a big part in my success or struggle.

dude, what happened with the 165 5x5? you did 160 5x5 last bench session??
    I did get all reps last time. I just couldn't get through 5x5 with the extra 5 lbs tonight. I struggled with it, got it up to maybe half way but couldn't go any higher.

Garage Lifter
    solid plan, give it another shot before dropping the weight. Can you microload?

Yes, I have some 2" ID washers that combine to weigh 1.25 lbs.

hey kill! good effort man, and don't let the bench session get ya down!

I would definitely definitely not drop weight yet. I would try to get the 165 5x5 for at least 2 more sessions until you deload it. Coulda been an off day, or you might have similar results next session then the one after that you just kill it! never know... but not sure what others would suggest but i'd say 2 more sessions with that plan and if you still can't hack it then drop to 150 or so and work back up. No biggie... we're in it for the long haul!
    "There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy. " - Mark Rippetoe

My 5/3/1 journal

Thanks Split. I am not too depressed haha. I think I will try 165 again at least once more, maybe twice.