bar x 10
    135 x 5
    185 x 2
    205 x 2
    240 lbs 3 x 5

Getting heavy but not too bad still.

DL

215 x 5

Still pretty easy, I'm moving to 225 next time.

OH Press

bar x 10
    110 x 5 x 5

Tough, not sure if it was strength or stamina that was slipping but it was hard work to get through the last two sets.

Neck Harness

25 lbs 2 x 30
    2 x 25

On the last two sets I just didn't have 30 in me.

I'm moving along with these movements. Solid session tonight.

Damn good workout Paul.

Garage Lifter
    very nice work Paul, good idea on the Deadlift
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

OHPs look solid bro. I got a good feeling your gunna smack that 165 5x5 for bench man!
    19 5'7 235
    No Belt/Wraps
    Squat ATG: 335x5
    Bench: 315x2
    Dead: 420x4

Journal:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-He-wants-MOAR!\

Quote Originally Posted by fooz View Post
    OHPs look solid bro. I got a good feeling your gunna smack that 165 5x5 for bench man!
    Thanks fooz, I'll find out tonight! I'm feeling good so I think I'll get it.

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    very nice work Paul, good idea on the Deadlift
    Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Damn good workout Paul.
    Thanks fellas.

I think ya got the 165 no prob. And actually my suggestion would ahve been to jump up another 5 lbs and do 170 3x3 or 5x3 and then go back tto 165 and hit the 5x5. But thats just me. GL bud!

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    I think ya got the 165 no prob. And actually my suggestion would ahve been to jump up another 5 lbs and do 170 3x3 or 5x3 and then go back tto 165 and hit the 5x5. But thats just me. GL bud!
    Thanks brother, that isn't a bad idea at all. I did consider it. But my mind already was ready for 165 for 5x5 again so I went for that.

Bench

bar x something
    95 x 2
    135 x 2
    165 x 5 x 5

Whereas I failed on the last two sets last time, my 2nd and 3rd were the hardest tonight. 4 and 5 felt good, especially 5 because I knew I just had to get through it so I did. Felt good. I think 5 lb. jumps are over though. Time to move to 2.5 lb. increases. Progress is progress.

Pendlay rows

155 x 5 x 5

These have been really easy lately. I've really enjoyed them, they don't feel heavy at all. I got tired toward the end of the 5th set but still not bad. The chalk helps, I like not having to worry about grip.

Neck Harness

25 lbs, 4 x 30

Working my way up to 4 x 50. Will try for 4 x 35 next time.

Also some bicep and tricep assistance work.

On a whim I measured my arms and they are up to 16.75" (right) and 16.25". Pretty close to my PR of 17". I don't care about this stuff as much as I used to but it is still nice to see some changes. My neck and traps are getting bigger too.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 03-21-2011 at 09:03 PM.

Nice work on the bench!! What sort of form do you use on bench?

Thanks dude. My form is pretty standard I think. Shoulderblades tucked, arched back (not a ton, I get cramps/spasms if I arch too much), feet wide and pushing downward, elbows tucked a little. I don't tuck a ton. No one would mistake my form for that of a shirt bencher. It doesn't feel natural to pull the bar down to my belly and keep my elbows narrow. I have no power when I try to bench like that. I pull the bar down to my lower chest right about where the sternum is.

Like the way you handled the bench, went just as planned.

Good job on the 165. Microloading is a good idea.

glad to see you bounce back and crush that bench. And your right progress is progress man!
    19 5'7 235
    No Belt/Wraps

Journal:

Garage Lifter
    Nice benchin' and nice neck work; doing very well Paul
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant

Nice benchin' and nice neck work; doing very well Paul
    Thanks Matt. Doing the harness 3x a week does make me sore but I like it overall.

Like the way you handled the bench, went just as planned.
    It is nice when a plan goes as planned. Thanks Coke.

glad to see you bounce back and crush that bench. And your right progress is progress man!
    Thanks fooz, failing to hit a set or two is not that bad as long as I come back and get it the next time, glad I was able to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by jbob1 View Post
    Good job on the 165. Microloading is a good idea.
    I think so too. Thanks jbob.

I took a week off, not intentional but my birthday was last week and that tends to turn into a week long celebration for me.

3/28/2011

Squat
    bar x 10
    135 x 3
    185 x 2
    245 lbs 3 x 5

The last sets were slow but I was not in danger of missing a rep. My week off did not do good things for my flexibility, which was not great to begin with.

Deadlift
    225 x 5

Pretty easy still.

OH Press

bar x 10
    115 lbs 5 x 5

These were hard. I did not think I would make it through, but I did. I will shoot for 120 lbs. next time but the 5 lb. increases can't last forever.

Neck Harness - not tonight

I've had some shoulder pain that seems worst when I squat. I am trying new hand placements on the bar to try to deal with it. Overall I am happy with this session after a week off. We'll see how I do with bench press which is always the first to drop quickly with any length of time away from lifting.

My chocolate Nitrean came today so I tried it afterward. It is as good as people say. Tastes like a chocolate shake with some coffee flavor thrown in.

Garage Lifter
    nice work Paul. I'm right there with you on the flexibility. I was recommended DeFranco's agile 8 a few times. Hoping to start doing that a few times a week ASAP.

Nice squats man, especially after a layoff. When I used Nitrean I hated the chocolate, but loved the strawberry.

Quote Originally Posted by jbob1 View Post
    Nice squats man, especially after a layoff. When I used Nitrean I hated the chocolate, but loved the strawberry.
    Thanks jbob. I am not a big strawberry fan so I will probably stick with either chocolate or vanilla.

nice work Paul. I'm right there with you on the flexibility. I was recommended DeFranco's agile 8 a few times. Hoping to start doing that a few times a week ASAP.
    Thanks Matt. I will check out the Defranco stuff, he usually knows what he is talking about.

No joke on the benching, any type of layoff with 'em can be costly. Way to resume things this week.

Happy Belated Birthday Paul! I think i'd take a week off if it was my birthday too... and just non stop drink hahaha . Nice job getting back at it bud. Will we be expecting 170 5x5 this week or a little less on the bench? Good luck man
    19 5'7 235
    No Belt/Wraps

Journal:

Hey to all in here
    where you training in Indy Paul?
    28yrs old, 6"1
    Stats: Start | Current | Goal
    Bench: 186lb | 226lb | 235lb
    Squat: 180lb | 273lb | 360lb
    Dead: 215lb | 319lb | 405lb
    MY LOG ~ 313 DAYS

No joke on the benching, any type of layoff with 'em can be costly. Way to resume things this week.
    Squat and deadlift are usually pretty solid for about 2 weeks or so but bench drops like a rock. I thought shoulder press would too so that was a nice surprise. Maybe I'll be surprised with bench too. Thanks Coke.

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzie View Post
    Hey to all in here
    where you training in Indy Paul?
    Hi Auzzie. I train at home. I used to live on the south side of Indy, I trained at the LA Fitness there but I don't miss that at all. I have a power rack and everything else I need to lift at home and I love it. Thanks for stopping by. Are you from Indy? I assumed from your username that you were from down under.

Happy Belated Birthday Paul! I think i'd take a week off if it was my birthday too... and just non stop drink hahaha . Nice job getting back at it bud. Will we be expecting 170 5x5 this week or a little less on the bench? Good luck man
    I plan to lift 170. I am about ready to switch programs though so if I don't hit it I will be alright. Yeah there was probably a little too much beer last week. I know drinking your calories is bad but hey. Thanks foozie.

Bench

bar x 10
    95 x 2
    135 x 2
    155 x 1
    175 x 1
    205 x 1 (+15 lb PR)
    225 x 0

I am about to switch programs so instead of doing another 5x5 I decided to try for a 1RM. My bench PR is 190, from way back in high school in my first ever weightlifting class. 205 was actually not too bad but I got greedy and tried putting up 2 wheels per side. I let the bar come down way too fast and didn't have a chance. I think I could've gotten 210 at least but I am happy with 205 for now.

Pendlay Rows

160 x 5 x 5 (+5 lb PR, +2 set PR)

These were a little challenging but not too bad. I don't know why I previously found these so difficult.

I decided to finish there. Next week I am starting Johnny Pain's Greyskull Linear Progression program (found here). Maybe next session I will try maxing on squat and deadlift.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 03-30-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Garage Lifter
    Congrats on breaking 200+, you'll get 225 in no time and +15lb is a huge bench PR

Thanks Matt. Getting up over 200 was kind of a big deal to me, I remember being on SS and getting stapled to the bench with 135 lbs. A guy had to come over and help me out. Very embarrassing. I like some principles of Starting Strength but if you care about bench at all it is not a very good program. At least it wasn't for me.