The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    After reviewing some videos it seems like I'm not driving my hips forward enough prior to whipping the bar up. To my understanding, I should drive with my legs, drive hips forward, shrug the weight, whip my body up under the bar and "rack" it on my hands, and then stand up. Doing all that in one smooth motion is hard for me.

Good deal on being focused to raise your form up on the squats...honestly, you're only gonna need to do squats and big movements roughly once per week. Anything more than that will lead to overtraining imo.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Good deal on being focused to raise your form up on the squats...honestly, you're only gonna need to do squats and big movements roughly once per week. Anything more than that will lead to overtraining imo.
    Do you mean power cleans? I don't think I mentioned specifically focusing on my squat form... I actually think my squat form is ok.

I'm not going to presume to tell you you're wrong Coke, your experience and stats speak for themselves. However, I picked Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength workout (which requires squatting 3x a week) because of the wide-spread acclaim this program receives. I was under the impression that this was the best routine for newbies such as myself to ramp up their strength quickly.

I know I can't expect to squat 3x a week forever, but right now I seem to be doing ok with it, especially since my overall volume isn't that high. So I'm confused as to why you would say it's not a good idea. Again, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just confused.

It gets a little confusing for us all but bottom line is, you should keep working out and do whatever you set out to do. Somewhere down the line if you do squats every Monday, for example - then you will really start to make headway. Same thing with other bodyparts, it is only a matter of fine tuning what works best for you.

Fair enough Coke. Appreciate all the comments, I think you comment more in others journals than you do in your own, and that's a real testament to the positive, uplifting community here at WBB.

I will stick with the program for now, but if my gains deteriorate I will consider backing off on squats. I really have no idea how long Rips will remain effective for me.

Day 11

I'm wearing my Chucks today instead of crosstrainers, for the flatter soles.

Squat:

1 x bar x 8
    1 x 95 x 5
    1 x 135 x 5
    1 x 225 x 5 (+5 lbs over last session)
    2 x 230 x 5 (+10 lbs)

These felt great. I had a lot of energy tonight. I was excited when I went down with 225 and felt I could do more. I thought I could've even added more weight, but I don't want to get stupid and throw out my back.

Bench:

1 x bar x 10
    1 x 65 x 5
    1 x 85 x 5
    2 x 135 x 5 (+5 lbs)
    1 x 140 x 5 (+10 lbs)

These felt good too. I had to push hard to get the last rep up, but at the same time I think I might have been able to add another 5. Hard to know. I think I did the right thing not adding any more. Slow and steady wins the race.

Deads:

1 x 95 x 5
    1 x 135 x 5
    1 x 185 x 5
    1 x 235 x 5 (+10 lbs)

These felt bad, then good. On my third warmup set I got mad because even though the weight wasn't bad, my upper palm has a callus right up under where my wedding ring is. I don't wear my ring while lifting, but the callus kept getting pinched between my palm and the bar, and it really hurt. I went for 235 anyway and somehow gripped better, because the whole set was explosive.

10 minutes cardio, it was late and I had to get to the grocery store.

Overall tonight felt awesome. Mentally I felt like less of a wimp because I was able to put 45s on the bar for bench, which might be stupid, but that's how I feel and it is what it is. My bench still sucks, but at least I"m making progress. My form is a lot better than it was, too. I didn't expect to get 10 extra lbs on each lift tonight.

edit: I added "before" pics to my first post. If you must laugh, keep it to yourself
    Last edited by killxswitch; 01-28-2008 at 10:54 PM.

Wow man, session looks great.

Thanks Coke, it felt great. I have a long road ahead of me, but I felt like I took a real solid step last night.

Banned
    good work man! I like the routine....3 big compounds every workout, lift heavy.

EDIT: Glad to see another computer geek here
    Last edited by RedSpikeyThing; 01-29-2008 at 07:38 AM.

Cheers Spike. I'm trying to make the most of my newb gains with the compound movements. Eventually I'll get all tricksy with my programming, but for now the simple stuff seems to be working.

This geek is looking forward to birthday cash and a tax refund. I need a new cpu, mobo, and memory.

Day 12

Tonight I forgot to charge my mp3 player. Sucks. On top of that is was "customer appreciation night", which translates into a metric **** ton of people in the gym. I had a hard time focusing, and feel I could've gotten more out of it if I'd just been more mentally tough. I still made some progress.

Squat:

1 x bar x 10
    1 x 95 x 5
    1 x 135 x 5
    3 x 235 x 5 (+5 lbs from last session)

These felt heavy but good. I had trouble focusing tonight. I had a lot of energy, so I think I could've gone for 240.

Military Press:

1 x bar x 10
    1 x 65 x 5
    3 x 85 x 5 (+5 lbs)

I barely made it through these. My left shoulder still feels funny from a few weeks ago, but I think the weight was just heavy for me. Progress is progress.

Bent-over rows:

1 X bar x 8
    1 x 65 x 5
    1 x 95 x 5
    1 x 135 x 5
    1 x 145 x 5
    1 x 150 x 5

I went back to these and also did some form work on power cleans with just the bar. I'm making progress there, getting the hip thrust movement down. It's easier to flip up the bar without using my arms now, and my muscles are getting better at "remembering" the movements. Not perfect at all, but better. My form on the row looked phenomenal, to me anyway, best it's been so far.

Tonight was also apparently lightbulb night. A bunch of upper body gorillas all curling and such in front of the dumbell rack mirror. They were all bigger/stronger than me, so I can't talk too much. I just wouldn't want to look like them if I'd put in that much time lifting.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 01-31-2008 at 09:50 PM.

congrats on the +5 lbs to squat and MP's dude, like you said progress is progress! sucks you had no mp3 player, i know how that feels with no music
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Thanks Jed. Yep, any step forward is better than staying put or backsliding. I didn't struggle at all with 80 lbs on the press last time, so I was surprised I had so much trouble with 85.

Pulled off a real nice effort regardless bro, lol.

Banned
    Nice lifting, congrats on the PRs. If you think you could have got 240, then go for 245 next week. Abuse your newbie gains while you have them lol
    Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    I barely made it through these. My left shoulder still feels funny from a few weeks ago, but I think the weight was just heavy for me. Progress is progress.
    hey man, take what you can get!

PS I'm jealous about the computer shopping
    Last edited by RedSpikeyThing; 02-01-2008 at 09:06 AM.

Thanks Coke, Red. Newbie gains rule. I think Coke is LOLing about my puniness.

Interesting routine going on in here, bro. Nice getting the 1pps on the working sets of your bench. That's a pretty epic milestone for everyone I think. I know exactly what you mean about the deads tearing your hands up. It only gets worse as the weight goes up to, lol. Just squeeze tight and use a lot of chalk and the bar won't own your hands
    as bad.

Are you landing your cleans on your front delts yet or are you just catching it in a military press start position? Cleans tear me up too badly, I have to stay away from them...but if you can do them without messing yourself up, they are pretty bad ass.

Nice work going on in here, man. Keep it up.
    Last edited by Kiaran; 02-02-2008 at 11:48 PM.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Thanks bro, I'm headed in again today to see how the deads go. I need to get some chalk and a pumice stone. As for power cleans I'm sticking with rows for now while I work on my clean form separately. I think when I do get the bar shrugged up properly I'm catching it the right way. My problem is getting my hips, knees, and ankles to all move forward at the right time so the bar swings up.

I just got a new book that is supposed to have a great section in it on how to perform the power clean, hopefully that will help me out. It was highly recommended by several guys I know who seem to know what they're talking about.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 02-03-2008 at 09:37 AM.

Nice. I would almost say to master the full clean before the power clean. The full teaches a little more how to really explode and fire with hips and legs rather than the traps and arms.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    Nice. I would almost say to master the full clean before the power clean. The full teaches a little more how to really explode and fire with hips and legs rather than the traps and arms.
    I've thought of that, and I even find the full clean a little easier to do, but at the same time I'm trying to follow the Starting Strength program as strictly as possible for now, and it specifically says to do power cleans, not full cleans.

Day 13

Squat:

bar x 10 x 1
    95 x 5 x 1
    135 x 5 x 1
    245 x 5 x 3 (+10 lbs from last time)

It was stupid of me to increase to 245. My last set was not good. My form was terrible, I didn't get all the way to parallel, and my last two reps almost got stuck on the way back up.

Bench Press:

bar x 10 x 1
    65 x 5 x 1
    85 x 5 x 1
    145 x 5 x 3 (+5 lbs)

This felt ok.

Deadlift:

95 x 5 x 1
    135 x 5 x 1
    185 x 5 x 1
    250 x 5 x 1 (+15 lbs)

Ha ha, woops. I only meant to increase by 10 lbs. today. I didn't bring my old log sheet with me today (record my lifts on a single sheet of paper. Get a book, I know...), so I just assumed I did 240 last week and needed to do 250 this week. My form was decent, so no harm done. My grip about gave out on the last rep though. I may need to switch to over/under grip rather than double overhand grip.

I was tired today. I only got 4 hrs of sleep last night, and ate poorly today. Not enough calories, not enough carbs pre-workout. Given this sloppy behavior, I'm ok with my progress.

Lookin great, fella. Good job on the increases
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Doing ok man, will be going even more smoothly for you once you get some more food and sleep in.

Thanks guys. It could've been worse. I'm already eating better today and I should be ready to hit it hard again Wednesday.

Nice job on the squats even if your form wasn't perfect, dude. That sort of pushing is what it takes. Bench is coming along too and deads are well on their way to the big 3pps. 275 is your next stop, no problem. Definitely switch to over-under grip. You'll probably add 25+ lbs with just that alone. Makes a world of difference. I know what you mean about sleep. I could use a **** load more myself. Press on, nice moves.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs