The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fooz View Post
    wow dude 230 x 15 squat? If i did more then 5 squats I think i'd be on the ground gasping for air. props to you bud
    Thanks fooz. Not easy, for sure. I am surprised though, I don't feel that sore today.

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    What's this 'ladder method' you speak of? Sounds interesting. A new innovative way to do chins for chin weaklings? I'm in! Nice deads back there dude-man. 225x12 is no joke, plus you had more in the tank! Start doing that cardio man... It's already helped me with my lifts. The better shape you're in the more energy you can save doing lifts.
    It's good to have you back on the board jed, I hope you can stay for a while. You are correct on the ladder method. Let's say I wanted to do 3 ladder sets of chins. I would do 1 chin, then 2, then 3, that is one ladder set. I would do the same thing 2 more times. Frequency method is preferred (doing 1 set multiple times throughout the day) but I don't have a chin up bar at my office.

I have some cardio plans. Haven't implemented yet but it is coming.

strong workouts, everything is coming along nice! I'm with Fooz, if I did 230x15 I would be dieing/not able to move.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Garage Lifter
    really good work Paul; keep on, keeping on
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

That is some good stuff there man.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    That is some good stuff there man.
    Thanks Terry.

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    really good work Paul; keep on, keeping on
    Thanks Matt, I plan to. I think the GSLP is something I can stick with for a while, at least until training ADD kicks in again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    strong workouts, everything is coming along nice! I'm with Fooz, if I did 230x15 I would be dieing/not able to move.
    Ha thanks Cards, walking wasn't easy right at first but my legs are getting used to it. I think standing there with the bar on my back trying to get a breath is harder than the actual rep.

4/11/11

Squat -

bar x 10
    135 x 3
    185 x 2
    235lbs 2x5, 235lbs x16

By rep 10 the actual reps stopped feeling heavy at all. It was between reps that were hard, my lower back felt smoked right after. I think I will go for 240 x 20 this Friday as that would be full BW for 20 reps. Then I will work on upping the weight so I have to fail before 15 reps.

OH Press

bar x 10
    75 x 3
    97.5lbs 2x5, 97.5lbs x11

I was definitely sluggish on these after squats.

Neck Harness

25 lbs, 4x34

Pullup negatives - not tonight.

Time to wobble back up the stairs.

Garage Lifter
    huge session!
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant

Awesome squats!!! Could you feel your eyes pulsating?!

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    Awesome squats!!! Could you feel your eyes pulsating?!
    Thanks John. For me it is more sound that gets weird. During the rep the music is kind of muffled then when I take a breath it gets loud again. I am starting to understand the joke about Jesus talking to you when you do 20 rep squats.

huge session!
    Thanks Matt. Probably too many reps on squat but they are kind of fun.

Way to rep out bro, that is killer.

Hey kill! Great progress going on in here since I last stopped in. Awesome reps for your squats man. Anything high rep toasts me, it's not even about the weight, my body just hates reps. haha
    "There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy. " - Mark Rippetoe

My 5/3/1 journal

Nice. So you do 1 rep, take a rest (30 seconds?). 2 reps, 30 second rest. 3 reps, 30 second rest. And then do it again like 3 minutes later? Sounds pretty cool, I might have to give that a shot. Great squatting BTW bro... 235x16 is seriously cool.
    Last edited by jed; 04-12-2011 at 06:18 PM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    Nice. So you do 1 rep, take a rest (30 seconds?). 2 reps, 30 second rest. 3 reps, 30 second rest. And then do it again like 3 minutes later? Sounds pretty cool, I might have to give that a shot. Great squatting BTW bro... 235x16 is seriously cool.
    It is a little more intense than that. The amount of rest between "rungs" on the "ladder" is simply the amount of time it would take a partner to do the same amount you just did. So after doing 3 pull-ups I would rest the amount of time it would take an invisible partner to do his own set of 3. Then you dive back into 1 rep, rest, 2 reps, rest, and on and on. The idea is to knock it out quickly and to never push so hard that it interferes with your actual weight training. If it starts to get hard it's time to stop and do another set of ladders tomorrow, with an extra rep or set if you can do it (again, without being too hard). It helps to look at it as getting better at the skill of pullups, rather than trying to get stronger using pullups. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by SplitQuick View Post
    Hey kill! Great progress going on in here since I last stopped in. Awesome reps for your squats man. Anything high rep toasts me, it's not even about the weight, my body just hates reps. haha
    Thanks Splitty. I am starting to get used to higher reps but I am not there yet. There are guys that rep out on squats all the time. Just a different style of training. I think I like it.

Way to rep out bro, that is killer.
    Thanks Coke, it was a little rough right after but my recovery from higher reps is improving.

4/13/2011

Bench
    bar x 10
    95 x 5
    135 x 2
    155lbs 2x5, 155lbsx10

I may have played it a little safe on the last set. Still getting used to the reps. Getting easier though.

DL
    135 x 2
    185 x 2
    235 x 5, 10 sec break, 235x5, switch to mixed grip, 235 x 5

I can't really call that last set a set of 15 but it was close. I will be using mixed grip on future work sets. My pinkies just weren't hanging on.

EZ Bar curls
    57.5 x 15
    57.5 x 13

Neck Harness
    25 lbs 3x36, 25lbsx38 (woops)

Overall a solid session but I could've pushed myself more on bench.

Obviously could have done more on the bench, but it is what it is man - good job throughout.

How is the form holding up on the high(er) rep DLs? Thats where I believe I went wrong when I hurt my back recently...worked up to a heavy 3 rep set, and then I went down in weight and up in reps and tried repping out 315 and ended up hurting my back. I know there are arguments for both sides of that fence, just thought I'd see what your thoughts are on higher rep DL sets.

Garage Lifter
    another solid session Paul, looks like you're building up some good momentum

another solid session Paul, looks like you're building up some good momentum
    Yeah it is going well. I don't completely regret sticking with my modified 5x5 program as long as I did but I think I would've been better off if I'd switched to this earlier. Thanks Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    How is the form holding up on the high(er) rep DLs? Thats where I believe I went wrong when I hurt my back recently...worked up to a heavy 3 rep set, and then I went down in weight and up in reps and tried repping out 315 and ended up hurting my back. I know there are arguments for both sides of that fence, just thought I'd see what your thoughts are on higher rep DL sets.
    That's a good question, it probably started to break down toward the end because on the last 3 or 5 or so I started feeling it a lot more in my lower back. A really strong pump feel. I was wearing a belt and while the belt helps it also probably gives a feeling of false security. So far I don't think 1 high-rep set of DLs is bad but 15 might be too many. I am aiming more for the 10-12 range. I have very little experience in doing lots of DL reps so my opinion is still forming. Some people do very well with lots of volume. But more than any exercise I think form on DL is very important. The good part is that as long as you're not overly stubborn you can just let go if the weight is too much.

Obviously could have done more on the bench, but it is what it is man - good job throughout.
    Thanks Coke. I think I tried to compensate for not pushing myself on bench by doing too much on DL. Still working the kinks out. I think if I warm up more prior to my work sets on bench I will be better off.

4/15/11

Squat
    bar x 10
    135 x 5
    185 x 2
    240lbs 2x5, 240x15

I wanted 20 but I about lost my arch on 15 so I stopped.

OH Press

bar x 10
    75 x 3
    100lbs 2x5, 100x10

Rep 10 was an RPE of 10, almost lost it.

Chinup negative ladders - 3 ladders of 3 - I hate these.

Neck Harness - 25lbs 4x38

My energy was crap tonight but I am ok with the work I did.

Man, you ain't playing around...helluva lot of work for having low energy.

Thanks Terry, that's why I was ok with it overall. Something I've learned from the more experienced guys here (like you for example) is that low energy doesn't mean you have to have a bad workout, it just means it won't feel good.

Garage Lifter
    you did an excellent job on squats and OH Press. Something to be proud of.

you're putting up some awesome weight for high reps, did OR have some type of influence on you ? He sure knows his stuff.
    Last edited by Cards; 04-16-2011 at 11:23 AM.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    you're putting up some awesome weight for high reps, did OR have some type of influence on you ? He sure knows his stuff.
    Thanks Cards, he is one of the guys I pay attention to when he posts. Lots of good influences here on WBB. I am enjoying the hypertrophy from the higher reps. The stretchmarks between my chest and shoulders are getting bigger, ha.

you did an excellent job on squats and OH Press. Something to be proud of.
    Thanks, I do feel good about it. I am glad for a couple days rest and recovery though.