The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ljosaitis View Post
    Looks good man, always great to lose weight and feel stronger.
    Thanks. Hoping to hit 200 or below in the next 2 months. Conjugate WOD eh? I'll have to click on over to your journal after this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    No joke, killer stuff going on bro.
    Thanks Terry. Trying.

---

18 Min Time Cap
    21-18-15-12-9-6-3 of:
    Wall Balls - 20 lbs
    Deadlifts - 115 lbs
    Box Jumps - 24"

Barely finished under the cap in 17:55. I take too many breathers and need to string reps and sets together unbroken.

Agree about the unbroken.. for me it's better to take long enough that I convince myself the next "set" will go unbroken than to rush the start and take breaks, mostly because I'll do those last few if I know it was ub.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...NNKKKIINNNSSSS
    Just a lil guy trying to be fit.
    Best competition lifts:
    at 165: 630 sq, 480 bench, 501 dl

Current:
    Weight 145, using ConjugateWod training methods to develop Crossfit-applicable strength with extra work for learning movements and conditioning.

Good job on that 911 WOD. That's a killer!

21 rounds on the other one is great too. Impressive.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Agree about the unbroken.. for me it's better to take long enough that I convince myself the next "set" will go unbroken than to rush the start and take breaks, mostly because I'll do those last few if I know it was ub.
    Yeah I definitely hit the red line way too fast. I tried to adjust that today but still don't know how to pace myself at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Patz View Post
    Good job on that 911 WOD. That's a killer!

21 rounds on the other one is great too. Impressive.
    Thanks Pat. Killer is right. If I never do it again I'll be fine with that.

Today was Fran day, and my first ever attempt at it. We started off with 5x5 squats which I thought was a terrible idea. So I went easy on them, 135|155|175|195|205.

Fran -

95 lb. barbell thrusters and pull-ups, rounds of 21, 15, and 9 for time.

Finished in 13:11, used a band for pull-up assistance. Got no-repped on thruster #6 of my last set, which sucked bad. I would've finished in the 12s otherwise. I'm ok with my time since it was my first ever try, but I definitely want sub-10 minutes next time. I tried to pace myself early on but I think I still pushed a little too hard early and paid for it later.

Good news is that I'm down to 209 lbs. Trying to be sub-200 by 11/11/2013.

Nice job. Fran is a beast. My first one was a DNF. Granted, it was probably my second week of Crossfit. Second time was 18 I think, then I got a 9:04 (after I got less sucky at pullups), then the last time was a 13 or 14 again..LOL

5/3/1 Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Patz View Post
    Nice job. Fran is a beast. My first one was a DNF. Granted, it was probably my second week of Crossfit. Second time was 18 I think, then I got a 9:04 (after I got less sucky at pullups), then the last time was a 13 or 14 again..LOL
    Yeah I was afraid I would DNF too and if I hadn't used a band on the pull-ups I would've. My 100 day pushup challenge is about over so I think my next thing will be to focus on pull-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    Hey hey look who's still around! What've you been up to?

---

WOD - 100 burpees, 100 KB swings (35 lbs), 12 min. time cap.

Each rep you don't complete = 1 second added to time.

Completed 75 of each so 12:50. This will be a tough one to complete, especially since the Rx was a 53 lb. KB. But I'm losing mad weight so the burpees are getting easier.

Deadlift 5x5 - 225, 245, 275, 315, 345. Saw stars and birdies on that last set.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 09-20-2013 at 06:58 AM.

Overhead Squats: 5 sets of triples, worked up to 135. I've done this lift like maybe twice before so I'm not very strong on it yet. This is the best it's felt so far though.

WOD - Nicole

400m run, then as many pull-ups as you can do in a row. Once you are done, run another 400m and try pull-ups again til you fail again, run again, etc. AMRAP for 20 minutes.

5 runs and 59 pull-ups using a blue band. Probably need to use the next lightest band (red?), I did like 21 in a row the first round.

Deadlift: triples at 225, 275, 315, 345, 365

WOD - 5 3-minute rounds of

5 wall climbs
    10 slam balls over shoulder (50 lb)
    10 ball-on-shoulder squats (50 lb)

best round was 2 minutes, worst was 2:52. My energy level was just crap today, maybe from the heavy DL. Wall climbs especially just take all the fight out of me.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 09-25-2013 at 08:02 AM.

What're those wall climbs like? and how's the weight coming?
    Best competition lifts:

Current:
    Weight 145, using ConjugateWod training methods to develop Crossfit-applicable strength with extra work for learning movements and conditioning.

These are wall climbs:

Video

Resting between climbs doesn't help at all either.

This morning I weighed 207, which is 33 lbs. down from when I started in April. 7 more to go by 11/11/13.

Damn good DL'ing tho
    PRs: B/S/D/T 235/295/435/965
    My Journal

New Goal: Explore my body's potential

Quote Originally Posted by TheLion View Post
    Damn good DL'ing tho
    Thanks duder, it is a good feeling to move that much weight. I still remember struggling with 275 a few years back and complaining about it, probably in this journal.

Today:

800m run

Front Squat triples - worked up to 215. My previous max is 225, I think I have more in me this time around.

WOD - 8 min. AMRAP of

10 push-ups
    10 jumping lunges
    10 med ball sit-ups (20 lb)

5 rounds and 4 push-ups. I was on pace for more than 1 per minute but a few rounds in I realized I'd been forgetting the lunges. So I had to backtrack. Screwed myself out of a good score.

Recently completed a 100 day push-up challenge. 5050 push-ups in 100 days. It's a lot of volume and that has been good but I still can't do a ton in a row. I am going to keep up with 80-100 push-ups per day but focus on stringing them together in fewer sets.

Lots of foam rolling and other mobility stuff today, my back and calves (?) needed it after deadlifts on Wednesday.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 09-27-2013 at 07:01 AM.

If you hit 215 for a triple, you're def good for more than 225, lol. Solid session once again
    My Journal

Good work in here. I think I overlooked your journal a couple times or something. Strong pulling a d good work on those front squats. i was getting mine pretty strong for a while but have just been doing back squat recently. i akways took more pride in my front squat though.

I've forgotten a movement a few times mid WOD too. It really sucks..lol

How long have you been crossfitting?

5/3/1 Journal

Oh and you asked about the elbow tucking. I have Kelly Starrett's book, Becoming a Supple Leopard. I dunno if youre familiar with him. I highly recommend it though. It's like a total guide for every movement in crossfit and he spends a lot of time explaining external shoulder rotation (which essentially tucks the elbows for benching) and why we're losing power without it. I noticed an immediate improvement in bench and shoulder press. The book has also done a lot for my form on other lifts, etc.

5/3/1 Journal

Lion, thanks and I agree, I think I will hit maybe 235 or hopefully more. As long as I don't warm-up too much.

Pat, I have been CFing since mid-to-late April, so about 5 months. I have seen a few Kelly Starrett videos on youtube. I will look for that book, it sounds helpful.

9/30

Overhead Squat doubles: 95 - 115 - 135 - 145 - 155

Heaviest I've ever done overhead and I could've gone heavier. My coach had me narrow my grip on the bar and I was a ton more stable and comfortable.

WOD was hard to explain, it was a team WOD.

15 Minute AMRAP

50 Dumbell Burpee Step Ups (35#) (must alternate the three teammates)

While a Teammate holds 65# Barbell Over Head Hold
    Then…
    100 Push Press (65#) – NO PUSH JERKS
    While a Teammate holds Dumbbells Overhead (35#)
    4 or 5 teammates (if possible 2 guys/2 girls)

We only had enough at my class for teams of 3. We really could've used the 4th teammate, our shoulders were fried after this one. Crazy how much heavier 35 lb. dumbells feel compared to a 65 lb. bar.

Some of those CF WODs make my head hurt
    My Journal

Wallclimbs look legit! I'll give it a go today. 33lbs is impressive man, looks like you'll get through those last 7 no problem
    Best competition lifts:

Current:

Wallclimbs look legit! I'll give it a go today. 33lbs is impressive man, looks like you'll get through those last 7 no problem
    I'll watch for that in your journal. At your weight, strength, and conditioning level I'm sure you will find them much easier than I do, but I expect they'll still become difficult. I am back up to like 210ish and have been hovering here for a while. I'll get there, I am just impatient.

Yeah, I wasn't even sure I should bother posting it. It is easier to explain in person.

The good news is that I started with a pre-workout shake w/some dextrose and my energy level felt significantly higher.

Crossfit programming (really any programming) is an art. There is good and there is bad, and occasionally you have a 4 year old's crayon drawing hanging on the fridge.

5/3/1 Journal

WOD - 50 thrusters, 50 toes-to-bar, 10 minute time cap. Only got to 16 T2B. Scaled the 95 lb. thrusters to 75 lbs. Thrusters just suck the life out of me.

20" box front rack step-ups - 5 sets of 8 reps. I worked up to 85 lbs. on these, much more challenging than I expected.

Crossfit sessions make my joints and live ache, I could definitely use some more conditioning though. Great stuff in here kill.

Edit: Holy crap just saw that your down 33 lbs from April? That's incredible man seriously.
    Last edited by KevinStarke; 10-02-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Just a quick update on a few things that were lost in the forum update:

new squat 1RM - 320 (I've done 335 in the past)
    new DL PR - 425 (25 lb. PR)- as ljosaitis pointed out this is my first-ever double bodyweight lift.

Kevin, thanks. I should be closer to 37 lbs. right now, though I have not weighed myself in a bit.

you've done awesome lately, and those programmed wod's at your box are cool. that's my favorite kind of crossfit.

and congrats on the win last night. i hate to see peyton lose, but indy was probably the best place to do it.

5/3/1 Journal