The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Oh god, D2 and Counterstrike. Played way too ****ing much of those games in my life. TFC 2 is pretty fun. It's total cheese-ball but then it becomes totally addicting.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Nice stuff on the elliptical machine for a half hour bro.

K, yeah, CS took over my life for a while. I was admin on a server and part of a clan and everything. I don't have that kind of time anymore, but they're still fun.

Coke, thanks for the encouragement. I haven't done 30 minutes of any cardio in a long time, but it wasn't actually that bad.

dude, i used to be addicted to CS, big time.
    2000 or bust

No time for it anymore Stump? Too busy deadlifting elephants and squatting Buicks?

Workouts and progress are looking good. I did starting strength for a while and I really liked it a bunch. This seems like the perfect journal to subscribe too considering I used to love D2, tfc, cs, and well... online games in general. Not a big fan of tf2 tho... its too easy compared to tfc. (I used to play competitively lol thats about as nerdy as you can get).

Squat: 265x1 | Bench: 190x1 | Deadlift: 315x1 (Started 6/3/07)
    My Journal

Phenom - After two speeding tickets I drive like I have a kilo of cocaine and a dead body in my trunk.

Thanks for stopping in Pulse. You're right, playing competitively is about as deep as it goes. Were you a "professional"? I was never that far in. Not for lack of desire, I'm just not that good

Day 16

5 min. row machine to warm up

Squat:

bar x 10 x 1
    95 x 5 x 1
    135 x 5 x 1
    225 x 5 x 1
    230 x 5 x 1
    250 x 5 x 1

Mixed feelings on these. The right side of my right thigh, right at the hip, hurts. I lowered the weight today just to work at form, and up until 230 I felt like I was doing better. Then it started to hurt again. I wonder if it might just be hip flexibility. I need that foam roller. I do think my form was better. Stance and depth were better, and I didn't rock forward onto the balls of my feet like I used to do.

Barbell press:

bar x 10 x 1
    65 x 5 x 1
    90 x 5 x 3

Barely made it through, but I did.

Barbell Row:

bar x 10 x 1
    95 x 5 x 1
    135 x 5 x 1
    140 x 5 x 1
    145 x 5 x 1

These were fine, but I was tired so I didn't push very hard.

Overall not a good workout. I'll do better next time. Though if I'm being honest with myself I don't feel confident in my squats. The lack of progress is frustrating, as is this pain in my right thigh.

schmitty199
    I get those days every once in awhile, usually turns into a great workout the next day.
    Height:5'10
    Weight: 203
    Bench-295
    Squat-515
    Hclean-305
    JOURNAL: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ight=schmittys

I hope so schmitty. I needed to eat more today. I always do better when I eat like a pig.

Glad you twinked your workout and made yourself better. Good job toughin' it out, we all have our bad days.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

I know exactly what pain you are talking about in your leg/hip. I used to get that all the time. I changed the width of my stance and the direction my toes pointed and it stopped hurting. Could be the way your hip joint is tracking with your leg. Play with it a bit and see if anything helps it. Might have to warmup a little slower too. Maybe take a hop to 185 before the 225 or take another set of 135 or whatever.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

K, help me out bro, you're saying things that make sense. Prior to tonight I believe my stance was too narrow and my toes were pointed too straight and needed to be out at an angle more. I watched some Squat Rx vids and tried harder to mirror that, and it felt better at first. Are these the adjustments you made to your own stance? Am I doing the right thing? Perhaps the pain is just residual from the previous sessions of squatting poorly.

One thing I noticed was that my legs did not wobble the way they used to, which is good. I think my hip joint tracking was more natural.

jed, I'm trying man, it's frustrating to struggle so soon after starting out, but I just gotta work through it. I thought the noob gains would carry me further!

Too bad about the leg pain, hope that bs subsides real soon.

Banned
    nice work man. Stretch out that hip before and after squatting. We all have bad days and one bad session doesn't mean your noob gains are going away. Eat up, rest and smash it next time!

When my thigh would hurt it was mostly due to my toes being pointed out way too much and my stance was actually too wide. This is turn could have caused the tracking of my legs, hips and knees to not be in line, which causes some things to twist and pull unnaturally. There is a small window in my stance where nothing hurts in any joint or tendon. I believe everybody has this window. Just gonna have to play with it.

The pain may be residual, but when you hit the right squat, you will know it. It just feel smooth and nothing feels pulled or twinging. This doesn't necessarily mean that the form will feel natural. My buddy worked with me for about 6 months on mine tweaking everything from where I carried the bar to how I position my toes.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

When I first started squatting I got terrible terrible soreness on the inner parts of my hips which eventually led to not being able to finish my sets. It eventually went away over time though. Never did find out what it was. I did widen my stance a bit and point my feet in a more natural position for squatting but it could have just been a weak muscle that eventually worked itself out and had nothing to do with my stance.

As far as competitive gaming. I didnt go pro, I wasnt quite that big of a nerd. But ive played in all the tfc top tier leagues, and in most of the cs ones. Now I rarely play... Im actually a firefighter/emt now. We have a WII at the station and I destroy people haha.

My Journal

Phenom - After two speeding tickets I drive like I have a kilo of cocaine and a dead body in my trunk.

Kiaran, weird that your problem was the opposite of mine. I think I'm going lighter on squats (no more than 185) this week and I'll continue to work on form.

pulse, did you ever play CS source? I actually got more into that than original CS. Blasphemy, I know. I just never have time to play much of anything anymore. Which is ok, there's more to life than pwning fools on teh servar.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    When my thigh would hurt it was mostly due to my toes being pointed out way too much and my stance was actually too wide. This is turn could have caused the tracking of my legs, hips and knees to not be in line, which causes some things to twist and pull unnaturally. There is a small window in my stance where nothing hurts in any joint or tendon. I believe everybody has this window. Just gonna have to play with it.

The pain may be residual, but when you hit the right squat, you will know it. It just feel smooth and nothing feels pulled or twinging. This doesn't necessarily mean that the form will feel natural. My buddy worked with me for about 6 months on mine tweaking everything from where I carried the bar to how I position my toes.
    That sounds right. A wide stance with no squat suit or briefs is going to cause trouble. I started pushing my stance wider and ended up pulling my groin, but when I cam back to a narrower stance I felt stronger and more comfortable It's good that you found that sweet spot.

Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    Kiaran, weird that your problem was the opposite of mine. I think I'm going lighter on squats (no more than 185) this week and I'll continue to work on form.

pulse, did you ever play CS source? I actually got more into that than original CS. Blasphemy, I know. I just never have time to play much of anything anymore. Which is ok, there's more to life than pwning fools on teh servar.
    I played source beta and I played in the first leagues that came out during release. We actually bought ATI cards so our team could play beta and scrim to go to CPL lol. I grew out of that phase pretty quickly but I dont play it much anymore. I could get on sometime to play with some wbb guys!

My Journal

great squatting
    2000 or bust

pulse, I think COD4 might be the game of choice for WBBers right now? I'm down for whatever.

Thanks Stump, it's getting better.

Day 17:

Squat:

bar x 10 x 1
    95 x 5 x 1
    135 x 5 x 1
    185 x 5 x 2
    225 x 5 x 1

Lowered weight and focusing on form is boring. But I had little to no pain at the time, and no pain now, so I think my form was much better.

Bench:

bar x 10 x 1
    65 x 5 x 1
    95 x 5 x 1
    150 x 5 x 3

This felt fine. It helps to add the correct weight.

Deadlift:

135 x 5 x 1
    185 x 5 x 1
    225 x 5 x 1
    335 x 3 + 1 + 1

I got stupid on these. I should've just tried for 315 x 5 since I didn't completely get it last time.

My left knee started popping again after a few weeks of being fine. Sucks. But once I switch to my wife's insurance in March I"ll be able to go to the doctor for it.

Good deal on tweaking your squat form and lowering the weight a little bit...session is looking solid guy.
    Last edited by Coke; 02-15-2008 at 06:40 AM.

I know it is hard to lower weight and focus on form...this is some thing I have been (trying) to deal with on my squats as well...but I am slowly getting there. Good job dude..keep it up

good job fixing that form, man! works for the best in the long run.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

You might not like lowering the weight now but Ive done it 2 or 3 times and trust me nothing but good comes from it. Good job!

My Journal