The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    hmm, thats interesting. my chest is pretty small but who knows i guess, they do always make fun of my big arms. do good tonight.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Small? You sure? I find that hard to believe bro. Anyway, unfortunately I didn't do ANYTHING tonight. Freak snow storm, the city was unprepared, a real pain to go anywhere with the roads like this. I'm stuck where you were jed: at home surrounded by snow. Sucks.

hahah! i feel for u man, that sucks big time! u can do some handstand pushups at home if u want!! those are great haha.

ps i think im gonna have dad take some pics of me tonight before i get too fat from bulking so you can see my chest soon and see what u think.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Time to hit the pushups, situps and air squats. Sounds pretty gay, but it's better than nothing, right? lol, sorry to hear about the snow. I'm hoping we don't get pounded in the next few weeks. Seems like everywhere else has been.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

TBH I just stayed on the couch and watched some episodes of Dexter with the wife. I'll have no excuses not to kick ass at the gym this weekend, I've got plenty of rest now, and I've been eating a lot this week.

some times all ya need is a good little forced rest...I cant wait to punish my self on saturday! i know you'll be doing the same!

Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    Thanks jed. I can't wait til I get to the point that 220 is a warmup, but for now as long as I'm increasing weight each session I can't complain.

I'm a computer geek. I play computer games (right now Call of Duty 4 is my fav), I build my own systems, majored in a computer-related field in college, I work as a server administrator, I do computer builds and repair on the side, heck I built a water cooling system for my home computer so I could force it to run faster. I'm not a true geek in that I also have a life, but my wife tells me I'm a geek anyway, and she's usually right about... everything.
    Liked reading this man... I happen to work with a bunch of computer geeks, none of which ever go to the gym. Makes me somewhat of an outcast, but when I attend meetings people notice me, since I don't fall into the <120lb or >300lb range haha. I'm a computer nerd myself, but keep it real outside of my office. In any event, keep up the great work man!
    - rEDfURY
    Powerlifting since Sept 2006
    My PL Training Journal

Philippians 4:13

"To give anything less that your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    some times all ya need is a good little forced rest...I cant wait to punish my self on saturday! i know you'll be doing the same!
    Word. I would've preferred to go lift, but if I set some good PRs on Saturday (I'm still new enough that I seem like I'm always setting PRs) I suppose it'll be OK. Here's to much soreness on Saturday night

Quote Originally Posted by redFury View Post
    Liked reading this man... I happen to work with a bunch of computer geeks, none of which ever go to the gym. Makes me somewhat of an outcast, but when I attend meetings people notice me, since I don't fall into the <120lb or >300lb range haha. I'm a computer nerd myself, but keep it real outside of my office. In any event, keep up the great work man!
    Thanks for stopping in RF! I'm sorry to hear you work with computer geeks, most are insufferable. Hobby geeks for the win! I'll make sure I check in on your journal too, though it sounds like you're pretty busy lately.

Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    Here's to much soreness on Saturday night
    We shall swap war stories saturday night/sunday morning, sir!

Day 20:

Squat:

bar x 10 x 2
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    245 x 1
    265 x 1
    275 x 4
    275 x 1 x 2

Overhead Press:

bar x 5
    65 x 5
    85 x 5
    100 x 1
    100 x 5
    100 x 4 + 1
    100 x 1

BO Barbell Row:

bar x 5
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    160 x 5 x 2

I got 4 hrs. of sleep last night and hadn't eaten in 6 hours when I hit the gym. Hence all my partial sets and crap workout. My weekend workouts always suffer because my routine suffers, IE I am undisciplined on the weekend. 275 didn't even feel that heavy on squat (felt about the same as 225), I was just tired and when I hit the hole I was freaking sluggish coming out of it. I'm disappointed in myself but not all that surprised. Not much of a war story for you borracho, time to see how you did.

edit: it was 275 on squats, not 270. I added the plates wrong... again. I dunno what my problem is.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 02-24-2008 at 02:33 PM.

ah thats alright man, still a pretty decent workout despite the alck of sleep and food. just gotta disclipline ourselves ya know.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

considerign the f*3k job of preparing yourself for the gym (sleep/food intake) you did great dude! 270 on the squats is good things! I wish I could get my fat ass to squat that on a full night sleep!

Edited latest post, it was 275 not 270. If it HAD been 270 (like I meant it to be) I may have gotten it, or at least gotten closer to 3x5.

Thanks jed and borracho. I'm not disappointed with the workout, I'm disappointed at my preparation. Considering I felt like garbage it actually wasn't too terrible.

Also of note, my legs and hips aren't hurting like they used to on squats. I've been better about hip drive and keeping my knees out, thanks to the Squat Rx videos.

Good job with the session regardless bro.

Not bad at all considering the circumstances.

Squat: 265x1 | Bench: 190x1 | Deadlift: 315x1 (Started 6/3/07)
    My Journal

Phenom - After two speeding tickets I drive like I have a kilo of cocaine and a dead body in my trunk.

romantic relations w/bacon Indifference's Avatar
    liking the work in here man! I think ill be sticking around your journal and watchin the weights go up!
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

#'s will be up when I know them

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Good job with the session regardless bro.
    Thanks Coke. I appreciate your rock-steady support as always.

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Not bad at all considering the circumstances.
    Thanks pulse. I agree. I want more, but who doesn't? LOSERS. That's who. And I'm no loser.

Quote Originally Posted by Indifference View Post
    liking the work in here man! I think ill be sticking around your journal and watchin the weights go up!
    Hey Indifference, thanks for stopping in. Doin' my best. I secretly want to hit my 2008 goals by the end of summer, don't tell nobody. I'll check out your journal when I get a chance.

My dog decided to throw up 8 times in 2 hours yesterday (he's a Mastiff, it wasn't pretty), so we got to go to the overpriced emergency vet until 1am last night. I feel ok, but I'm holding off on the next session til tomorrow.

whats wrong with your poor guy? that sucks to hear, i hate hearing about pets gettin sick or hurt!
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

So I didnt know what a mastiff was until I googled it. I couldnt imagine that throwup being very pretty at all. Hopefully he gets better. Sounds like he got into something. Did they say what was wrong?

Squat: 265x1 | Bench: 190x1 | Deadlift: 315x1 (Started 6/3/07)
    My Journal

Phenom - After two speeding tickets I drive like I have a kilo of cocaine and a dead body in my trunk.

Haha, yeah, what was wrong was that he ate

rocks
    a pen
    a bunch of stuffing and fabric from a blanket
    a roll of paper towels
    a few sticks
    some other crap

We thought some of it might be stuck in him, lodged in his esophagus, so we took him in. We talked it over with the vet and got him some drugs to calm his stomach and some fluids to rehydrate him. He threw up a little bit overnight (I'm glad we're replacing the carpet anyway), but kept his food down this morning and was fine when we got home from work.

Here's Mack:

Him and his sister Ruby:

I don't think he feels great, but he's better.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 02-02-2011 at 07:05 PM.

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Cool dogs dude! And good job with still getting the lift in; most people would have stayed home and done jack ****.

Know what you mean about the squats feeling sluggish. No worries though. Overhead pressing looks solid and ace on the rows. Bustin it out there.

Sorry to hear about the dog. Sounds about like my old dog. She'd eat anything and everything in site. Aren't emergency vet bills just awesome too? They make you sign that form that's like "if your pet goes into shock we won't do anything unless you authorize us to spend more money - sign here" And of course you sign the form. Hope the dog feels better soon.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by whiteman90909 View Post
    Cool dogs dude! And good job with still getting the lift in; most people would have stayed home and done jack ****.
    Thanks whitey, though I didn't go in that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    Know what you mean about the squats feeling sluggish. No worries though. Overhead pressing looks solid and ace on the rows. Bustin it out there.

Sorry to hear about the dog. Sounds about like my old dog. She'd eat anything and everything in site. Aren't emergency vet bills just awesome too? They make you sign that form that's like "if your pet goes into shock we won't do anything unless you authorize us to spend more money - sign here" And of course you sign the form. Hope the dog feels better soon.
    Thanks K. My squats are always terrible when I don't eat or get sleep. I can usually fake it through bench or a few sets of deads, but squats just take too much energy.

The vet bill was sweet. $150 for some fluids and something to settle his stomach (they referred to it as a "liquid Pepcid AC"). They offered to do a blood test and an xray of his stomach to see if he had pancreatitis or a foreign body (like, you know, rocks and stuff) stuck somewhere in him. For $300. It actually wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be, but it still sucked.

I'm glad we declined that, as he was able to wrestle around with me a bit last night.

Wow man, that's a lot of luv for the dog(s) - ...I'm no different, lol.

haha dogs always eat the strangest crap. glad to hear he's healthy again.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"