The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Wow man, that's a lot of luv for the dog(s) - ...I'm no different, lol.
    The guy needs to stop costing me money. He's too young to just give up on though. Plus he's my buddy and I'd miss him.

Quote Originally Posted by nhlfan View Post
    haha dogs always eat the strangest crap. glad to hear he's healthy again.
    Thanks for the words, I'm glad too. He finally vomited up some ink from the pen he ate, which is what I think was bothering him the most. He's been fine since.

Day 21:

Squat:

bar x 10 x 2
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    255 x 3
    270 x 5 x 2
    275 x 5

These really took it out of me, I know I GMed the last two reps. Completed the sets though.

Bench:

bar x 10 x 2
    65 x 5
    95 x 5
    135 x 3
    155 x 2
    135 x 5 x 2

Ugh, I hate how I suck at bench.

Deadlift:

135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    275 x 5

Meh. Not a strong workout.

romantic relations w/bacon Indifference's Avatar
    good work man. doing all of the big 3 in one workout would knock me on my ass. props for pulling it off!
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

#'s will be up when I know them

Damn, really nice sets of Squatting. That's how it's done, bro. Don't let the bench get you down. Just stay stubborn and stick with it.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Dude I dont know what your saying about not a strong workout. The deads and squats are awesome. I think you're with me on the bench tho. It seems no matter what I do my bench plateaus so fast and my squats just seem to always have a little extra strength. :/

Squat: 265x1 | Bench: 190x1 | Deadlift: 315x1 (Started 6/3/07)
    My Journal

Phenom - After two speeding tickets I drive like I have a kilo of cocaine and a dead body in my trunk.

Not bad throughout man, the benching will come along.

got the 275 for squats eh? good job dude!

Quote Originally Posted by Indifference View Post
    good work man. doing all of the big 3 in one workout would knock me on my ass. props for pulling it off!
    Thanks bro. A lot of people say the same thing when they hear about my routine, but that's just what Rippetoe's Starting Strength calls for. Since I was a noob when I started (still am, really) I didn't know it was the big 3, I just started doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    Damn, really nice sets of Squatting. That's how it's done, bro. Don't let the bench get you down. Just stay stubborn and stick with it.
    Thanks K. Bench will probably frustrate me the rest of my life, I might as well accept it now and keep at it anyway. Or start roiding up.

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Dude I dont know what your saying about not a strong workout. The deads and squats are awesome. I think you're with me on the bench tho. It seems no matter what I do my bench plateaus so fast and my squats just seem to always have a little extra strength. :/
    Squats were pretty good I guess. I can do better on deads, I was just beat. And like you say, BP is just frustrating. I think I'm also worrying too much about whether or not I can handle the weight since I don't have a spotter. I have a tough time focusing when I'm tired after squats.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Not bad throughout man, the benching will come along.
    Thanks Coke. I hope you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    got the 275 for squats eh? good job dude!
    Thanks bro. It was kind of gratifying. Once I can do 3 x 5 at 275 I'll be happier.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 02-27-2008 at 08:28 AM.

Nice work. Set up for bench in the power rack if you don't have a spotter. That way, you won't have to worry about it if you miss.
    Last edited by POWERLIFTER87; 02-27-2008 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by POWERLIFTER87 View Post
    Nice work. Set up for bench in the power rack if you don't have a spotter. That way, you won't have to worry about it if you miss.
    Thanks PL87. I was thinking about doing that yesterday, but thought it would seem weird to drag a bench over to the lone power rack. You're right, though. I should just get the **** over it and do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    Thanks PL87. I was thinking about doing that yesterday, but thought it would seem weird to drag a bench over to the lone power rack. You're right, though. I should just get the **** over it and do it anyway.
    Your gym doesnt have like 10 incline/flat individual things you can use for dumbell work?

My Journal

Phenom - After two speeding tickets I drive like I have a kilo of cocaine and a dead body in my trunk.

Never Enough.
    ahh dude yeah that bench must be annoying you!!
    i used to see no progressiong, but in the last few weeks its been better. well thats ever since i started my journal on here.

anyway man im glad to see those squats shooting!!! they are really getting up there man, great work, keep it up!!!
    Think better, Train Better, Eat better, BE better.

My Journal;
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show....php?p=1877589

Some great progress since I first checked in!

Where you at? Lift!
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Your gym doesnt have like 10 incline/flat individual things you can use for dumbell work?
    I think it does. DBs just aren't part of my program yet. Borracho has been working through some ideas with me to improve my bench, I'll be tweaking my program once I get back in the saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyM View Post
    ahh dude yeah that bench must be annoying you!!
    i used to see no progressiong, but in the last few weeks its been better. well thats ever since i started my journal on here.

anyway man im glad to see those squats shooting!!! they are really getting up there man, great work, keep it up!!!
    Thanks for stopping in and for the comments Jonny. Yeah my bp pisses me off, I'll be changing my program up some to fix it. I'll drop in on your journal here in a bit and see what's up.

Quote Originally Posted by MJay View Post
    Some great progress since I first checked in!
    Thanks MJay. Noob gains are the best, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    Where you at? Lift!
    I know, I know. I deserve to have my balls busted. I do have an excuse. I've been working on my house the last few nights that I'd normally be in the gym, replacing flooring and such. It's hard work and it's re-aggravated the problem in my left knee. The other day at work I went to the water cooler and almost fell down. But, work should be done this week, and I'll be back in the gym Saturday or Sunday. It's taking too long and admittedly I've been taking too much time getting stuff done, but I'm tired of it, bored with being home so much, and ready to get back in the gym and lift.

I'm excited about making some changes to my program so as to bust through this problem with bench press.

So we have all gathered together behind the curtains of the forums (via PM's) and came up with this-
    You show us a work out by COB monday or your ass is cut off!

Hope the home project is going smoothly...take care of that knee!
    Last edited by borracho; 03-07-2008 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    So we have all gathered together behind the curtains of the forums (via PM's) and came up with this-
    You show us a work out by COB monday or your ass is cut off!

Hope the home project is going smoothly...take care of that knee!

Should have some stuff up by Saturday night. I've been so bored all week, and my knee is feeling somewhat better. I'm going to the doctor about it in the next couple weeks now that my insurance has switched to better coverage.

To give everyone who cares an idea of what my routine is in a general sense, here's a quick rundown of Rippetoe's Starting Strength:

Main exercises:
    Squat 3 x 5
    Deadlift 1 x 5
    Bench Press 3 x 5
    Overhead Press 3 x 5
    Power Clean (I usually substitute bent-over rows) 5 x 3 or 3 x 5
    (warmup sets are also done but are not included above)

Accessory exercises:
    chins/pullups
    dips
    various ab exercises
    hypers

Schedule:

Workout A - Squat, Bench, Deadlift
    Workout B - Squat, OH Press, clean/row

M - A
    T - off
    W - B
    Th - off
    F - off
    Sa - A
    Su - off

M - B
    T - off
    W - A
    Th - off
    F - off
    Sa - B
    Su - off

then start over.

This has been great for pushing my squat weight up fast, but in his book Rippetoe even says he's never been a good bench presser and it's obvious he doesn't care as much about it as he does other lifts. I DO care about it, so I want to change some things.

Some things borracho and I discussed:

- bench first
    - do some dips
    - don't do so many warmups

Any other ideas for increasing my bench would be much appreciated. Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress thus far, with the exception of my bench press, which has been a massive disappointment.

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    For bench, I'd say to make sure that you get some rack pressing in. IMHO, rack presses along with CG bench and dips are the best way to build a big bench.

Still looking good bro-- like always, I envy those squats

Cool deal, man. I fell off the forums completely a few years ago when I was installing a French Drain in my backyard. It was so much work, all the digging, shoveling rock, etc., etc., that I didn't have energy for the gym. I gained a new respect for guys that do construction and then hit the gym. Total beasts. Take your time, bro. We'll still be here.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Try some incline or decline benching, and some db pressing. Those lifts have really worked for me. I think they'd be good for you to try since they're basic, full range movements, and I really see no point in trying fancier stuff until you build more base strength first.

Also, you could try splitting up the big lifts into different days, instead of all in the same day. See if that would work better or not.

whitey Thanks man, I'll keep those in mind. I think the rack lockouts would especially help, as the last few times I've had trouble It's maybe 8 - 10 inches or so off my chest.

K, a house we considered buying would've needed a French drain, I don't envy you that work. I'm getting ready to leave now, still need to decide what I"m doing today.

PL87, thanks man, I'll keep that stuff in mind. I always liked DB press better than straight-up bench when I was in high school. And yeah, I agree with you, I don't think I need to look at bands or chains or board presses yet as weak as I am. I dunno about splitting my lifts up. I'm trying hard to stick to this program, maybe that's part of my problem.

I think the movement that has helped my bench the most is incline db pressing. That's the only thing I can think of that might have done it, because I didn't and don't really do much else besides regular benching.

Oh ya, and PL87 is a WOman .

Hey Bako, thanks for the input. I'll give the inclines a shot.

Since I like doing a 3 day split, here's what I'm thinking of for changes.

Workout A

DB or Barbell Bench
    Deadlift
    Dips or Incline Bench
    Bent-Over or T-bar rows or Lat pull or chins/pullups

Workout B

Squat
    Overhead press
    Shrugs

Week 1:

M- A
    T- off
    W- B
    Th- off
    F- off
    Sa- A
    Su- off

Week 2:

M- B
    T- off
    W- A
    Th- off
    Fr- off
    Sa- B
    Su- off

repeat

I will be sticking to the warmup and 3x5 method.

Perceived benefits:

-squatting once or twice a week versus 3x
    -more focus on improving bench press, my weak point
    -maintain weekly intensity on deadlift
    -the Big 3 is still the core of my routine,
    -routine is still pretty simple
    -more diversity in movements, as I was getting bored

I may go back to the straight-up Rippetoe routine, as it was definitely valuable and helped me build my squat and deadlift weight fast. However, squatting 3x a week was wearing on me, and my bench was going nowhere fast.

I do think I could add another leg exercise on B day, any suggestions would be welcome.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 03-08-2008 at 02:56 PM.

I dont know if its just me but I liked the original starting strength setup. If it was me I would throw in this...

Dips, Incline DB Press, Ab work, and Pullups/Chins. That still keeps the workout pretty short and gives you some things that should help your bench. If you dont feel like squatting one day just dont squat. If you are too worn out to do it one day its not going to hurt to not do it, and you probably wont see much gain from doing it if you are already tired. I used to do starting strength but I changed it up a bunch but I used it as the base for my workouts.

My Journal