The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 1062
  1. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    387
    looks like some good solid work, maybe adding some BW exercies like pulse said

  2. #177
    Paul killxswitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,184
    3/9/2008

    Bench:

    bar x 10 x 2
    95 x 5
    115 x 5
    135 x 3
    155 x 5
    155 x 4 + 1
    155 x 4

    Did these in the power rack with the pins as my "spotter". I'm still not at all strong on BP, but at least I'm about where I was when I took a week off.

    Deadlift:

    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    275 x 5
    315 x 5

    I kind of surprised myself with this. I had plenty of energy tonight.

    Assisted Dips

    5
    5
    4

    Assisted Pullups

    5
    3

    I may not do these again for a while, not sure they're necessary.

    Skipped squats tonight as my knee had me feeling a little leery of them still. I'll squat twice this upcoming week though. I think for the most part I'm done squatting heavy 3x a week every week.

    Post-workout weight, with towel only: 238 lbs.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 03-10-2008 at 07:03 AM.

  3. #178
    Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NORTHERN Virginia
    Posts
    1,381
    Solid session.

  4. #179
    T.J.W. pulse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    143
    Good workout. You dont think your going to keep doing pullups or dips? Really should stick with them they will have huge payoff in the end, but technically they arent needed. But you will want those tris for the bench.

    Age: 21 | Height: 5'8'' | Weight: 153lbs
    Squat: 265x1 | Bench: 190x1 | Deadlift: 315x1 (Started 6/3/07)
    My Journal

    Phenom - After two speeding tickets I drive like I have a kilo of cocaine and a dead body in my trunk.


  5. #180
    TJW jed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,712
    superior workout my man! i also strongly urge you to keep with the dips and pullups... or if you have to choose, pullups. they have helped me immensely!!
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

  6. #181
    romantic relations w/bacon Indifference's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Auburn, AL
    Posts
    619
    nice DLs big guy

    you can get by without doing either of those by doing CGBP and weighted rows of different varieties. but they are good movements to keep around and I think they are just plain fun to throw in sometimes
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

    #'s will be up when I know them

  7. #182
    WBB Team Captain Coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Jacob's ladder
    Posts
    35,261
    Fine effort bro.

  8. #183
    Paul killxswitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteman90909 View Post
    Solid session.
    Thanks man.

    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Good workout. You dont think your going to keep doing pullups or dips? Really should stick with them they will have huge payoff in the end, but technically they arent needed. But you will want those tris for the bench.
    I only meant pull-ups. I liked the dips, though they were difficult. I dunno, it's not like the pull-ups hurt anything, I was just tired from deads when I did them so I'm not sure I got much out of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    superior workout my man! i also strongly urge you to keep with the dips and pullups... or if you have to choose, pullups. they have helped me immensely!!
    Hey jed, thanks for the input. I'll give the pull-ups a chance I guess.

    Quote Originally Posted by Indifference View Post
    nice DLs big guy


    you can get by without doing either of those by doing CGBP and weighted rows of different varieties. but they are good movements to keep around and I think they are just plain fun to throw in sometimes
    Thanks bro. My callouses tore off and my hands hurt the most afterward. I think I'll bump the weight up next week. I will give the pull-ups another go. Dips are definitely staying.

    Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Fine effort bro.
    Thanks Coke, I appreciate it.

    edit: added my current weight- 238 lbs.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 03-10-2008 at 07:13 AM.

  9. #184
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Albuquerque,NM
    Posts
    2,905
    Glad to see you working out again man...looking good considering yyou just got done with the laborious task of house upgrade/maintainance.

  10. #185
    Paul killxswitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    Glad to see you working out again man...looking good considering yyou just got done with the laborious task of house upgrade/maintainance.
    Thanks bro. I had a few days rest from it, and not squatting heavy first meant I had plenty of energy.

  11. #186
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Albuquerque,NM
    Posts
    2,905
    How has the diet been looking? I had a steak and egg breakfast burrito last monday...and had been thinking about it all damn week. Friday night came along and for my second dinner, I had steak and eggs...and the trend continued through out the weekend...$30 worth of steak was consumed....and it was ****ing great...best weekend ever.


    Back to eating chicken today though
    Last edited by borracho; 03-10-2008 at 10:34 AM.

  12. #187
    Paul killxswitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,184
    Thought I responded to this.

    Diet was crap when I took the week off, but it's getting back on track. Check my sig for my fitday.

  13. #188
    Paul killxswitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,184
    Made my own version of HahnB's amazing protein bars tonight. We'll see how they turn out.

  14. #189
    Strength & Protection Kiaran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    3,963
    315 for 5, nice dude! Yeah, squatting three times a week is just nuts. Sounds like you're getting things dialed in, bro. What'd you think of benchin in the power rack?
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

    The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

  15. #190
    Paul killxswitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    315 for 5, nice dude! Yeah, squatting three times a week is just nuts. Sounds like you're getting things dialed in, bro. What'd you think of benchin in the power rack?
    It was pretty good, actually. The rack is pretty wide so on my second set I hit one of the plates on the pin when I was bringing the weight down, which really threw me off. But the pin height was perfect and kept me from having to worry about dropping the bar on myself, which was good for me mentally. I'm still weak, but at least not weak and scrred.

    I've changed my mind about pullups: I'm keeping them in the routine.

  16. #191
    Paul killxswitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,184
    3/12/08

    Squat:

    bar x 10 x 2
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5 x 3
    315 - walkout

    First time squatting in a little while, and my lower back still feels a bit funny, so I took it semi-easy. Did a 315 walkout and dipped my knees some. Thought about trying to squat it once, but decided against it for now.

    Overhead Press:

    bar x 10
    65 x 5
    85 x 5
    95 x 5 x 2
    95 x 4 +1

    Tough sets for me, my shoulders are still tired from the dips last time, which I am not yet used to doing.

    t-bar/bent-over rows:

    warmups
    135 x 5 x 3

    Started with t-bar rows but didn't like them that much. Moved over to BO rows and just did some reps of 135. I"ll build back up to where I was by 5 lbs each week and keep progressing. I have a bad habit of jerking a little bit when I do these.

    shrugs:

    barbell - 135 x 5

    these felt weird, tried moving to dumbells

    dumbells - 50s x 5 x 3

    Still felt weird. I make a really weird face when I do these. I think I'll stick with deadlifts for training my traps for now.

  17. #192
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Albuquerque,NM
    Posts
    2,905
    Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post

    Still felt weird. I make a really weird face when I do these. I think I'll stick with deadlifts for training my traps for now.
    A friend of mine loved making fun of me because I would make weird faces as well. In my fatter days, my cheeks would jiggle a bit...good times good times.

  18. #193
    Paul killxswitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    A friend of mine loved making fun of me because I would make weird faces as well. In my fatter days, my cheeks would jiggle a bit...good times good times.
    No cheek jiggling here. Just involuntary facial contortions. Sometimes that can look cool or at least like I"m working hard. This just looks stupid and awkward.

  19. #194
    WBB Team Captain Coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Jacob's ladder
    Posts
    35,261
    Nice and varied effort man, glad to see you greenlight the squats - they'll be coming around.

  20. #195
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    528
    Everything looks good overall. The benching will come.

    Don't think about squatting 315, just squat it. If you miss, big deal- just drop it on the safety bars.

    I think you should keep doing pullups and shrugs, too. I really wish I would have done pullups when I weighed less, maybe then I could get more than 3 now. As far as shrugs, I just think deadlifts don't hit traps the same way as shrugs can.

  21. #196
    T.J.W. pulse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    143
    We need a picture of this so-called shrug face. Haha. Nice effort man. Are you back down with the 225 squats to work on form or did I miss some kinda injury or something?

    Also Ive never tried a walkout what do u just put the weight on like you would squat... go back into position then walk back and rerack it?

    Age: 21 | Height: 5'8'' | Weight: 153lbs
    Squat: 265x1 | Bench: 190x1 | Deadlift: 315x1 (Started 6/3/07)
    My Journal

    Phenom - After two speeding tickets I drive like I have a kilo of cocaine and a dead body in my trunk.


  22. #197
    Paul killxswitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Nice and varied effort man, glad to see you greenlight the squats - they'll be coming around.
    Thanks Coke. I'll be going heavy (for me) soon again.

    Quote Originally Posted by POWERLIFTER87 View Post
    Everything looks good overall. The benching will come.

    Don't think about squatting 315, just squat it. If you miss, big deal- just drop it on the safety bars.

    I think you should keep doing pullups and shrugs, too. I really wish I would have done pullups when I weighed less, maybe then I could get more than 3 now. As far as shrugs, I just think deadlifts don't hit traps the same way as shrugs can.
    Yep. I just gotta keep at it. I think dips will help. I decided to keep pullups, still not sold on shrugs. We'll see. And you have a point, the worst that could happen is I bail and the pins catch the bar, big f-ing deal.

    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    We need a picture of this so-called shrug face. Haha. Nice effort man. Are you back down with the 225 squats to work on form or did I miss some kinda injury or something?

    Also Ive never tried a walkout what do u just put the weight on like you would squat... go back into position then walk back and rerack it?
    Yeah I'm sure you'd like that. However, I'm not in the habit of embarrassing myself on purpose, so don't hold your breath I took a bit of time off to work on my house, and during that I tweaked my left knee, which already has problems. So I just wanted to take it easy on my first session back. It felt fine, though.

    Yeah for walkouts you just unrack, walk out like you would normally to let your CNS feel some heavier weight, then re-rack it.

  23. #198
    TJW jed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,712
    cool work man. nice about the face haha. my face doenst really get goofy looking, just really red and kind of psycho which is sweet. i have the forehead veins and a few on my temples and face gets red so its pretty cool. take a snapshot next time
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

  24. #199
    Senior Member OGROK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    997
    Just curious man, how deep are you taking these squats? I think you should squat ATG if possible.

    Also, I think you need to take a look at your diet. You are only eating around 2000 calories a day. You are going to need somewhere between 3500 and 5000 calories to gain muscle. Right now you are cutting, not bulking. And you are getting less than half as much protein as you need.

    BTW some nice progress in here.
    Last edited by OGROK; 03-14-2008 at 12:28 AM.

  25. #200
    Paul killxswitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by OGROK View Post
    Just curious man, how deep are you taking these squats? I think you should squat ATG if possible.

    Also, I think you need to take a look at your diet. You are only eating around 2000 calories a day. You are going to need somewhere between 3500 and 5000 calories to gain muscle. Right now you are cutting, not bulking. And you are getting less than half as much protein as you need.

    BTW some nice progress in here.
    Hey Ogrok, thanks for stopping in. Don't take my fitday info from yesterday as any indication of my diet, I never finished entering all my food. The days before it are more indicative of how I eat: usually around 3700-4000 calories and nearly 1 g of protein per lb. of body weight.

    For my squats on Wednesday I did go ATG, which was a first for me. I felt it more in my hamstrings and glutes than I have before. I usually try go to just below parallel.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •