The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    cool work man. nice about the face haha. my face doenst really get goofy looking, just really red and kind of psycho which is sweet. i have the forehead veins and a few on my temples and face gets red so its pretty cool. take a snapshot next time
    Heh, we'll see. It's hard to take a pic when I've got both hands busy holding a barbell, and i"m not sure I could make it on purpose. It's involuntary. I'd prefer 'psycho' to 'numbnuts'.

3/15/07

Bench:

bar x 10 x 2
    65 x 5
    95 x 5
    135 x 3
    155 x 5
    155 x 4 +1
    155 x 5

Not sure what was up with this. First set of 155 felt heavy. 2nd set felt really, really heavy. 3rd set felt ok and I shot through it pretty quick.

Deadlift:

135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    275 x 5
    320 x 5 (+5 lbs over last time)

Not bad. 275 felt a lot heavier than it did last time, but I still added 5 lbs. to my final set. 325 next time. I tore a big chunk out of my right shin. When I took off my pants in the locker room blood was running down my leg, looked very hardcore.

Incline DB press:

30 x 10
    35 x 5
    40 x 5

I wasn't sure where to start with these, as I haven't done them in years. I was really tired at this point from deads but the weight was still going up easy. However, the gym was closing so I ran out of time. No pull ups today, which is too bad.

Overall not bad. Bench was just weird, but I feel like 160 will be very doable next week.

edit: damn I took in 5300 calories today. Not exactly good calories either. I'm so undisciplined on the weekends.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 03-15-2008 at 09:19 PM.

Banned
    nice pulling man. 320 for 5 is some good strength. Benching is looking good as well.

awesome deads! hopefully just a goofy bench day today and youll kill it next time!
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Wow those are strong deads man! GJ!

Squat: 265x1 | Bench: 190x1 | Deadlift: 315x1 (Started 6/3/07)
    My Journal

Phenom - After two speeding tickets I drive like I have a kilo of cocaine and a dead body in my trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    nice pulling man. 320 for 5 is some good strength. Benching is looking good as well.
    Thanks spikey. I think my problem with bench so far is in my head so I'm just shutting up and doing it.

awesome deads! hopefully just a goofy bench day today and youll kill it next time!
    Thanks jed, deads were tough but the weight wasn't THAT bad. Hoping for 350 by April, but we'll see. Yeah I dunno what's up with bench, just gotta stay stubborn.

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Wow those are strong deads man! GJ!
    Thanks pulsey. I think DL is one of the few exercises I have figured out. Now watch for my hernia next week

Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    ... damn I took in 5300 calories today. Not exactly good calories either. I'm so undisciplined on the weekends.
    Good deal man, lol -

pretty soon you're gonna be hitting 405 on the DL's buddy..you're making serious progress there

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Good deal man, lol -
    Ha, yeah I guess. Thanks for stopping in Coke.

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    pretty soon you're gonna be hitting 405 on the DL's buddy..you're making serious progress there
    That's the goal by December of this year. Though I think I can hit it earlier if I keep at it.

Really solid deadlifting, bro. Don't you love it when you **** your shins up? The wife is always like "oh my god, what the hell did you do?!" At least you know you have the bar in the right position though. Hate it when the gym closes on you. Nice job on the calorie intake there. 5K is insane! Gonna be many a massive **** tomorrow, lol....sorry over the line...laf...
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    Really solid deadlifting, bro. Don't you love it when you **** your shins up? The wife is always like "oh my god, what the hell did you do?!" At least you know you have the bar in the right position though. Hate it when the gym closes on you. Nice job on the calorie intake there. 5K is insane! Gonna be many a massive **** tomorrow, lol....sorry over the line...laf...
    HA! I didn't take notes, but you're probably right about that. Thanks for the props and the, uh, analysis, K.

Feeling sick, no gym for me tonight.

feel better, man.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Thanks K. Between the Chinese, the spaghetti, and the 11 servings of peanuts I ate today, I've got some major ring of fire issues as well as heartburn and barfing. I'm going to bed.

hope u get better man. ive been feelin kinda sick cuz my crappy diet too. <--- pun.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

I told ya that 5K calories was gonna catch up to you
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    3/15/07

Bench:

bar x 10 x 2
    65 x 5
    95 x 5
    135 x 3
    155 x 5
    155 x 4 +1
    155 x 5

Not sure what was up with this. First set of 155 felt heavy. 2nd set felt really, really heavy. 3rd set felt ok and I shot through it pretty quick.

Deadlift:

135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    275 x 5
    320 x 5 (+5 lbs over last time)

Not bad. 275 felt a lot heavier than it did last time, but I still added 5 lbs. to my final set. 325 next time. I tore a big chunk out of my right shin. When I took off my pants in the locker room blood was running down my leg, looked very hardcore.

Incline DB press:

30 x 10
    35 x 5
    40 x 5

I wasn't sure where to start with these, as I haven't done them in years. I was really tired at this point from deads but the weight was still going up easy. However, the gym was closing so I ran out of time. No pull ups today, which is too bad.

Overall not bad. Bench was just weird, but I feel like 160 will be very doable next week.

edit: damn I took in 5300 calories today. Not exactly good calories either. I'm so undisciplined on the weekends.

i wouldnt deadlift and bench in the same day but why are you starting with the bar for bench? start at 95x5 for warmup then you can go to 135 or 115 if you feel uncomfortable making a jump. anything below that is a waste of energy.

Thanks for the input failed. That's what the program calls for, though, and a lot of people have been pretty successful with it.

3/21

Squat:

bar x 10 x 2
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    275 x 5 x 2
    275 x 1

TOTALLY gassed after this. It's been too long since I did heavy squats consistently. 2/26. Damn, almost a month. In that case I'm ok with it.

Millies (or overhead press or whatever):

bar x 10
    65 x 5
    85 x 5
    100 x 5 x 3

Felt good. My shoulders seem to rise to the occasion pretty well. 105 next time.

BO Barbell rows:

bar x 10
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    160 x 5 x 2

Shouldn't have done 135 x 5, I could've gotten 3 sets of 160 x 5 otherwise. I think.

Shrugs:

25 x 10
    75 x 5
    115 x 5
    180 x 5
    205 x 5
    255 x 5

Tried a shrug machine tonight. It felt less awkward than barbell shrugs. No shrug face. Should I not be doing these with machines? I really had no idea what my limit would be so I just kept doing sets of 5 and upping the weight til it felt right.

Abs:

3 x 10 of decline situps

Post-workout drink:

Beer x 1

Maintained nice numbers for the squats, all else is well too dude.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Maintained nice numbers for the squats, all else is well too dude.
    Thanks Coke. I feel like now is the time for a big push in all my lifts. Enough screwing around, time to make the most of my newbie gains while I still can.

good workout yesterday man. very nice squats!
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Two sets of 275x5? Damn, that's some good workin there. Nice work on those rows too, dude. lol about the "shrug face"; totally know what you're talking about. I don't think I would even bother with the machine, rather do the DBs if you got em'.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Looks like a decent session. Nice squatting. You're pretty damn strong on the overhead pressing. Won't be long before you have a big bench too.

As far as the shrug machine, I don't see anything wrong with it. I would choose barbell or dbs first. There was always one hs shrug machine I really liked at the first gym I trained at. Haven't seen any other ones comparable to it again or worth the effort though.
    Last edited by POWERLIFTER87; 03-22-2008 at 11:32 AM.

I sometimes use a shrug machine but im definately switching to dbs after my grip problems the other day. That way im getting more out of them. Obviously once u outgrow the dbs you will have to use a barbell but I dont see why that would be a problem at all.

Squat: 265x1 | Bench: 190x1 | Deadlift: 315x1 (Started 6/3/07)
    My Journal

Phenom - After two speeding tickets I drive like I have a kilo of cocaine and a dead body in my trunk.

good workout yesterday man. very nice squats!
    Thanks bro. Not too bad considering a flaked out on them for almost a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    Two sets of 275x5? Damn, that's some good workin there. Nice work on those rows too, dude. lol about the "shrug face"; totally know what you're talking about. I don't think I would even bother with the machine, rather do the DBs if you got em'.
    Thanks K, the squats were harder than I felt like it should have been, but alright. I'm thinking about DBs. I'd really rather just use a bar, so I may give it another shot.

Quote Originally Posted by POWERLIFTER87 View Post
    Looks like a decent session. Nice squatting. You're pretty damn strong on the overhead pressing. Won't be long before you have a big bench too.

As far as the shrug machine, I don't see anything wrong with it. I would choose barbell or dbs first. There was always one hs shrug machine I really liked at the first gym I trained at. Haven't seen any other ones comparable to it again or worth the effort though.
    Thanks PL87, especially for the OH press comment. I think the benching is on its way. I'm gonna give both barbell and DBs another shot. I do really like the HS machine, but I'm missing out on some grip training that I know I need.

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    I sometimes use a shrug machine but im definately switching to dbs after my grip problems the other day. That way im getting more out of them. Obviously once u outgrow the dbs you will have to use a barbell but I dont see why that would be a problem at all.
    Hey pulse, thanks for stopping in bro. That's the only reason I have for still trying DBs or barbell, for the grip training. Plenty of people use them, so I'm sure I can get used to it.