Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I says to myself, "Self, stop being fat and lazy."

Hybrid View

I says to myself, "Self, stop being fat and lazy."

This is just a copy and paste from a different forum, targeted at computer dorks like myself. I started late December/early January, after not being in a weight room since 2004. I'm going to dual-post my progress, as I imagine it'll be easier to get advice here.

I started my Ripptoe workout today. This will be my first time in a weight room since '04.

I'm 6'2", 228 lbs, 25% body fat.

Goal: Kind of vague for now, 230ish lbs, 12% body fat

Squats:

5x1x135 (warm up)
    5x1x135 (warm up)
    3x1x185
    3x1x185

As soon as I went down for my initial warmup squat, I knew I was in trouble. It didn't feel like a warmup, it felt like it used to feel when I was doing 70% of my 1RM. I'm lifting alone, so by the end of set 4, I stopped as I was afraid if I went down for another rep I wouldn't come back up.

Dumbell Chest Press:

15x1x30s (warm up)
    10x1x35s (semi-warm up)
    8x1x40s
    6x1x40s

Crap. This is not a good start.

Deadlift

5x1x135 (warm up)
    5x1x135 (warm up)
    5x1x225

I've never done deads before. I think I like them, but I'm sure my form was horrible. I don't like working out alone, at least at first. Once I get back into the swing of things I'll like it though. I tried to keep my back straight, head pointed forward, and my shins are skinned up, so I know I dragged the bar properly.

Bicep curls

10x1x50 (warm up)
    8x1x60
    6x1x60

By now I feel like complete crap. This isn't part of ripptoes anyway, I probably won't bother with them again for a while. For now I should be sticking to the program.

Cardio:

20 minutes of running and walking on treadmill

Overall impressions:

I am weak. When I was in high school I was squatting with 3 45s on each side of the bar. However, now I don't do anything, and haven't for a while, and my body has seriously deteriorated. Moreso than I expected. I am disappointed, but I don't feel discouraged. I feel like I just need to keep trying until I make that initial breakthrough. I won't stay this weak if I keep at it.

I also have no endurance. No surprise there. Gaining muscle is more important to me than being able to run an 8 minute mile, but at one point I could run a 7 minute mile, so I'd like ot get back to that. I barely made it a quarter of a mile only running at 5.5 mph. Pathetic.

I have some work to do.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 02-02-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Day two, at long last, now that my bathroom remodel and the holidays are over. I'm disappointed in myself for not getting a good start on this. My workout wasn't great again. My wife and I went to the gym, and I felt obligated to show her what I do and help with some machines, none of which I wanted to use. I did the best machine versions of squat, military press, and low row that I could, but didn't bother recording weight as machine weight won't have much to do with free weights. I barely feel sore at all.

However, wife and I talked and she was actually just as annoyed at having to follow me around as I was at having to lead her around, so we agreed to lift separately and meet up for cardio after whenever we go to the gym at the same time. Hallelujah.

We also worked out a way for us both to go 3 times a week at minimum, which works perfectly. I have half of a Barnes & Noble GC to use for Starting Strength so I can legitimately do the Ripptoe program and answer my own questions when I have them.

Day 3:

Squats:

1 x bar x 10
    1 x 90 x 10
    1 x 135 x 5
    3 x 170 x 5

Deadlift:

1 x 65 x 5
    1 x 95 x 5
    1 x 145 x 5
    1 x 165 x 5

Bench:

1 x bar x 10
    1 x 65 x 10
    1 x 95 x 5
    2 x 115 x 5
    1 x 115 x 4

situps on decline bench (I only lowered my body to parallel with the ground, didn't touch back to bench):

1 x bodyweight x 15

15 minutes of cardio

edit: I meant to say that I am a wussy wuss man. For someone of my size these numbers are pathetic. But I guess we all have to start somewhere. Hopefully I'll be able to increase the weight consistently as the program describes.

Day 4

Squats:

1 x bar x 10
    1 x 95 x 10
    1 x 135 x 5
    3 x 185 x 5

I increased my squat weight by 15 lbs, which is exciting to me. Though the program says I should be able to go up 10 - 15 lbs each session, depending on how the weight feels. I may only try 10 lbs next week, the weight felt pretty heavy by the last set.

Military Press

1 x 20 x 10
    1 x 40 x 10
    1 x 60 x 5
    1 x 80 x 3
    2 x 70 x 4

I wasn't sure how much weight I could or couldn't do here, so I overshot it by trying 80 and had to back down. Then I couldn't get full sets of 70 lbs. I will try 70 lbs again next time.

Pendlay Rows:

1 x bar x 10
    1 x 55 x 10
    1 x 95 x 5
    1 x 115 x 5
    1 x 135 x 5

I again wasn't sure how much weight I would be able to do with this one, and even 135 felt pretty good, so I'm going to increase to 145 next time after warmup sets to see how it goes. These two younger guys were doing kind of the same exercise next to me, but their backs were incredibly rounded while doing it. Their knees were locked and bottom half of their torsos almost vertical, but then their upper spine hunched over while they rowed. Man it sucked, but I also felt like I'd be a complete ass telling them they were doing it wrong when this was only my 4th day in the gym.

No abs, they still really ache from Monday.

30 minutes of cardio, 2.9 miles on the elliptical. That thing really helps my left knee, which has some sort of undiagnosed (I assume patella) problem.

Overall I feel good about my work. I kind of sucked on military press, but squat felt decent and rows felt great. I'm kind of looking forward to the point that I can add dips and chins/pullups, but I don't want to get ahead of myself.

Day 5:

Squat

1 x bar x 10
    1 x 95 x 5
    1 x 35 x 5
    3 x 200 x 5

Good, I'm at 200 lbs on squat. I doubt I'll keep being able to increase by 15 lbs between workouts for too many more workouts. Otherwise I'll be up over 300 in less than 2 weeks! These felt good, but 200 also felt pretty heavy, especially on the last set. I may only add 5-10 or even no lbs next week, depending on how my warmups feel.

Deadlift

1 x 65 x 5
    1 x 95 x 5
    1 x 135 x 5
    1 x 185 x 5

Cool, 20 more lbs for deads. I should be able to deadlift more than I can squat, so I expect my dead gains will eclipse my squat gains soon. I didn't even feel like this was too bad. Oh, and I wore pants, so no bloody shins 200+ is my goal for next week.

Bench Press

1 x bar x 10
    1 x 65 x 8
    1 x 95 x 5
    1 x 120 x 4
    1 x 115 x 5
    1 x 115 x 4

UGH. First off, I did a terrible job of eating today. I slept through breakfast, ate a sub and some pretzels for lunch, no pre-workout snack, so by my last deadlift set I felt out of gas. Still, it pisses me off that my bench weight sucks so much. I don't feel like I made any progress since last time. I feel like I regressed. It's embarrasing to be as big as I am and struggle with a measly 120 lbs. Heck, in high school I was at least lifting 190 lbs. This sucks.

No abs, I'll do some next week.

20 minutes of cardio, after bench I was just frustrated and had no energy.

edit 2: I went to a newer LA Fitness (my "normal" one is also new, just a few months old vs. a few days old). For whatever reason, the mens' and womens' locker rooms are situation such that men are on the right and women on the left (reverse of my normal gym).

So of course like an idiot I walked right into the womens' locker room on accident after bench. Woopsie.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 01-27-2008 at 01:55 PM.

Day 6:

Squat:

bar x 10
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    205 x 5 x 3

I had to pause between nearly every rep on the last set. I don't think I'll be adding much weight at all on Thursday.

Military Press:

bar x 8
    55 x 5
    65 x 5
    70 x 5
    75 x 5 (barely)

This felt fine until the last set: I used a rack that appeared to be designed specifically with overhead presses in mind, as the bench was in an upright position and the bar was at the right height to sit down and lift up. However, it also forced me to kind of reach back behind my head to lift the weight up, and the last time I did this I felt kind of a tight pain in my left shoulder. Later when I was stretching it popped pretty badly, though it felt better afterward. I don't think I"ll use it again, as convenient as it seemed.

Pendlay Row:

bar x 8
    55 x 5
    135 x 5 x 3

I like this lift, but I was worn out when I did these. I need to be eating more. I should have had one more warmup set, but I skipped it so I could do all 3 normal sets.

20 minutes of cardio

Overall I'm enjoying this program. It's easy to follow (the lifting part, anyway), and I'm already seeing some changes in my body. My arms, of all things, look bigger, my delts are harder, my thighs are getting bigger and firmer, and I also think I"m losing some fat. I feel stronger and more alert than I used to, and I'm enjoying going to the gym. I actually sat down to try to veg out and watch tv last night and got so bored I could hardly stand it.

I got my whey protein, creatine, and fish oil pills today. Looking forward to starting up tomorrow with that.

Keep up the good work bro!

I actually sat down to try to veg out and watch tv last night and got so bored I could hardly stand it.
    Thats how I feel now after getting into weights. I don't mind having a few minutes to chill out and just think but I really don't like sitting aimlessly at the tv or computer anymore.

Thanks for the good words MJay. I can't say I don't mind hanging out now and then to watch a movie or something, but my tolerance for vegging out (TV, video games, etc.) has definitely gone down.

Day 8

Squats:

1 x bar x i8
    1 x 95 x 5
    1 x 135 x 5
    3 x 210 x 5

These felt ok. Moderately heavy.

Military Press:

bar x 1 x 8
    65 x 1 x 5
    75 x 3 x 5

Kind of an increase of 5 lbs. I may have been ok to do 80, but I wasn't sure.

Pendlay Row:

bar x 1 x 8
    65 x 1 x 5
    95 x 1 x 5
    140 x 3 x 5

Increase of 5 lbs. I felt kinda sluggish on these.

37 min. of cardio.

I look leaner but still weigh about 230, so I assume I've lost some fat and gained some muscle.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 01-20-2008 at 08:04 PM.

Day 9

Squats

1 x bar x 8
    1 x 95 x 5
    1 x 135 x 5
    3 x 215 x 5 (+5 lbs from last time)

Bench:

1 x bar x 8
    1 x 65 x 5
    1 x 85 x 5
    3 x 130 x 5 (+5 lbs)

Deadlift:

1 x 95 x 5
    1 x 135 x 5
    1 x 185 x 5
    1 x 225 x 5 (+20 lbs!)

No cardio.

I haven't lifted since Sunday. And, I forgot to put in contacts and didn't feel like wearing my glasses, so I was lifting blurry-eyed. I just felt kind of flat. Hence I didn't increase my squat much.

I will finally be able to put 45 lb. plates on the bar for bench next time. Heh. I feel like a pussy when I put my tiny little plates on for bench, but if I keep increasing by even just 5 lbs a week I should get to 200 lbs in a reasonable amount of time.

Deadlift felt really heavy, but it felt good to put 225 on there and get it up 5 times. I don't think I'll be doing any more 20 lb. jumps, though. This is the first time it's felt heavy.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 01-25-2008 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    1 x 225 x 5 (+20 lbs!)
    Congrats on the PR. I love when my deadlift gets higher and higher.

Keep it up.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Thanks, View. I wish my fing bench would go up by 20 lbs, but my chest just doesn't want to cooperate.

On an unrelated note, there are way too many naked old dudes at my gym.

Banned
    Good job on getting back to the gym and making good progress.
    Just a question - the days you listed, are those consecutive days? You dont really squat everyday do you?

Quote Originally Posted by 90kg_pwrlftr View Post
    Good job on getting back to the gym and making good progress.
    Just a question - the days you listed, are those consecutive days? You dont really squat everyday do you?
    Thanks, it feels great to be working hard again.

By consecutive, do you mean consecutive training days, or 3 calendar days in a row? Yes, I do squat 3 times a week. The Rippetoe starting strength program I'm trying to follow has this as part of the program. I know I won't be able to squat 3 times a week forever, but at 23 I think I should use my natural young'un recovery abilities as much as I can.

But no, I don't even train on consecutive days yet. Once I've gotten all I can out of this program I will probably move on to a 4 day split of some sort, but that's far off in the future.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 01-24-2008 at 12:48 PM.

nice work, just keep with it. When I stepped back into the gym after being absent for 5 years, I was dumbbell BPing 35s for 10 reps, and three months later I can do 70-80 for 10 reps, just keep with it and eat to fuel the habit and you'll be quite suprised with yourself. Your results are pretty impressive for being a computer geek for so long :P
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Thanks dynamo, I hope my strength goes up like yours did. I'm fairly happy with my squat and deadlift progress, ok with most everything else, but my bench is just embarrassing. Oh well, not like I can do anything other than work hard.

Awesome journal title...keep up the progress!

Cheers, borracho. Just trying to up the weight each session until my body says uh-uh .
    Last edited by killxswitch; 01-24-2008 at 01:51 PM.

Keep up the good work, bro.
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

Thanks Beast. I'm headed back in tomorrow. I want to go tonight, but I apparently have to have a life and friends

Solid progress lately, killer. I'll drop by here sometimes to give ya some support.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Irish,

Appreciate it, I'll take all the support I can get. I'll need it if I'm gonna reach my '08 goals.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 01-25-2008 at 10:07 PM.

Day 10

Squat:

1 x bar x 8
    1 x 95 x 5
    1 x 140 x 5
    3 x 220 x 5 (+5 lbs. from last time)

Dear God this felt heavy.

Military Press:

1 x bar x 8
    1 x 65 x 5
    3 x 80 x 5 (+5 lbs.)

This was fine.

Cleans:

1 x bar x 8
    1 x 65 x 5
    3 x 85 x 5

Oh crap. My quads already felt tight as a drum from squats. I tried my best to keep the bar close to my body, push with my legs and pull with my traps, leave my arms out of it other than "racking" the bar after the initial pull. On some I know I used my arms on accident, on all my quads felt awful, and I don't feel like I worked my traps or back at all. I have no idea if I did any of them right, and on my last rep I missed it completely. I came back and finished, but I feel like I should be doing this with more weight. I don't see how I can effectively do these after squatting heavy (heavy for me). But there's no good reason for them to be in the program if they can't be done effectively, so I must be doing something wrong.

10 minutes of cardio.

nice squatting dude. 220 should feel heavy cause it is pretty heavy!

you mention your a geek... details?
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    nice squatting dude. 220 should feel heavy cause it is pretty heavy!

you mention your a geek... details?
    Thanks jed. I can't wait til I get to the point that 220 is a warmup, but for now as long as I'm increasing weight each session I can't complain.

I'm a computer geek. I play computer games (right now Call of Duty 4 is my fav), I build my own systems, majored in a computer-related field in college, I work as a server administrator, I do computer builds and repair on the side, heck I built a water cooling system for my home computer so I could force it to run faster. I'm not a true geek in that I also have a life, but my wife tells me I'm a geek anyway, and she's usually right about... everything.

Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    Thanks jed. I can't wait til I get to the point that 220 is a warmup, but for now as long as I'm increasing weight each session I can't complain.

I'm a computer geek. I play computer games (right now Call of Duty 4 is my fav), I build my own systems, majored in a computer-related field in college, I work as a server administrator, I do computer builds and repair on the side, heck I built a water cooling system for my home computer so I could force it to run faster. I'm not a true geek in that I also have a life, but my wife tells me I'm a geek anyway, and she's usually right about... everything.
    Liked reading this man... I happen to work with a bunch of computer geeks, none of which ever go to the gym. Makes me somewhat of an outcast, but when I attend meetings people notice me, since I don't fall into the <120lb or >300lb range haha. I'm a computer nerd myself, but keep it real outside of my office. In any event, keep up the great work man!
    - rEDfURY
    Powerlifting since Sept 2006
    My PL Training Journal

Philippians 4:13

"To give anything less that your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre