The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Threaded View

I says to myself, "Self, stop being fat and lazy."

This is just a copy and paste from a different forum, targeted at computer dorks like myself. I started late December/early January, after not being in a weight room since 2004. I'm going to dual-post my progress, as I imagine it'll be easier to get advice here.

I started my Ripptoe workout today. This will be my first time in a weight room since '04.

I'm 6'2", 228 lbs, 25% body fat.

Goal: Kind of vague for now, 230ish lbs, 12% body fat

Squats:

5x1x135 (warm up)
    5x1x135 (warm up)
    3x1x185
    3x1x185

As soon as I went down for my initial warmup squat, I knew I was in trouble. It didn't feel like a warmup, it felt like it used to feel when I was doing 70% of my 1RM. I'm lifting alone, so by the end of set 4, I stopped as I was afraid if I went down for another rep I wouldn't come back up.

Dumbell Chest Press:

15x1x30s (warm up)
    10x1x35s (semi-warm up)
    8x1x40s
    6x1x40s

Crap. This is not a good start.

Deadlift

5x1x135 (warm up)
    5x1x135 (warm up)
    5x1x225

I've never done deads before. I think I like them, but I'm sure my form was horrible. I don't like working out alone, at least at first. Once I get back into the swing of things I'll like it though. I tried to keep my back straight, head pointed forward, and my shins are skinned up, so I know I dragged the bar properly.

Bicep curls

10x1x50 (warm up)
    8x1x60
    6x1x60

By now I feel like complete crap. This isn't part of ripptoes anyway, I probably won't bother with them again for a while. For now I should be sticking to the program.

Cardio:

20 minutes of running and walking on treadmill

Overall impressions:

I am weak. When I was in high school I was squatting with 3 45s on each side of the bar. However, now I don't do anything, and haven't for a while, and my body has seriously deteriorated. Moreso than I expected. I am disappointed, but I don't feel discouraged. I feel like I just need to keep trying until I make that initial breakthrough. I won't stay this weak if I keep at it.

I also have no endurance. No surprise there. Gaining muscle is more important to me than being able to run an 8 minute mile, but at one point I could run a 7 minute mile, so I'd like ot get back to that. I barely made it a quarter of a mile only running at 5.5 mph. Pathetic.

I have some work to do.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 02-02-2011 at 04:25 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!