Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: I says to myself, "Self, stop being fat and lazy."

Thanks Pat. It was quite a game wasn't it? I thought we were gonna get Manning'd in the 4th and did not like seeing that in action from the other side.

The WOD yesterday was good but difficult to articulate clearly. It was a lot of burpees, front squats, push presses, and farmer's carries. It looks like we are going to move to an Oly cycle and away from the strength cycle we've been on for a while, which I'm not a huge fan of, but that is mainly because I suck at olympic lifts.

WOD - 11.5 Crossfit Open WOD from 2011

20 min AMRAP:

5 Power Cleans (145 lbs)
    10 toes-to-bar
    15 wall balls (20 lbs)

Completed 4 rounds and 3 T2B. Slept in too late, no shake or breakfast, no energy. And the bars were damn cold this morning, felt terrible on my hands. I'm getting a lot better at T2B though, and most of my wall balls were unbroken.

Spent about half an hour clearing out cobwebs away from my basement power rack. Since we are moving into an oly cycle at my CF gym I want to keep working on strength on my own. Decided to find my 1rm on bench, 195 went up fairly quick but I failed on 205, lol. My bench has always been so bad. I am going to at the very least start benching a couple times a week in addition to hitting the CF gym 3x a week. I don't want to interfere with crossfit but I don't want to waste the gains I've made recently either.

I also realized I can't max out on DL at home, don't have enough weight. A very different problem compared to my bench issues.

Front squat and C&J today.

Worked up to 245 on FS, a 20 lb. PR.
    185 on C&J, I've never maxed on that so I guess that is also a PR. Nice way to start the day. Tomorrow is max snatch, which I'm sure will suck because I hate it and am not good at it.

Also did 4 minute tabata air squats (20 seconds work 10 seconds rest), got 115 reps at 15/15/15/14/13/12/15/16.

I weighed 201.6 this morning. Hopefully I am sub-200 by the end of the week.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 10-28-2013 at 07:54 AM.

Dude, prs! I know exactly what you mean about the oly stuff.. When you're not good at the movements it seems like you spend a whole lotta energy not doing anything. If you keep your powerlifting frequency up on your own, even with lighter weights as to not ruin the cf stuff, you won't lose any gainz
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...NNKKKIINNNSSSS
    Just a lil guy trying to be fit.
    Best competition lifts:
    at 165: 630 sq, 480 bench, 501 dl

Current:
    Weight 145, using ConjugateWod training methods to develop Crossfit-applicable strength with extra work for learning movements and conditioning.

Yeah right on, that is exactly how it feels.

WOD: 100 burpees, 100 24kg KB American swings, 12 min. time cap. Got through 86 burpees and 50 swings.

Worked up to a 115 lb. full snatch. My strength is not the issue, it's all technique. I failed 115 twice before getting it and was ready to quit, but my 3rd attempt went up easy. I don't know what I did differently. Think I just need reps to get more used to it.

Moar work. I am trying Mike Mecenko's bench routine, just for something different than all the linear stuff I've done in the past.

115x8
    145x6
    155x4x5
    145x5

Nice to be benching again.

Decided changing weights around takes too long. Back to linear progression, it's comfortable.

warm-up, then

135 x 2 x 5
    135 x 13

It's funny. You're right about where I was as far as WOD performance goes, and starting to work on strength at home just like I did.

The next thing that happened was my priorities changing as I got stronger, and I quit CF altogether.

Nice job on the weight loss! I wish I could get my act together there!

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Pat, if my priorities change it will be good for my wallet but I still really enjoy CF so I kind of hope they don't.

After a few days of eating like crap (pizza, crab legs, beer, Halloween candy), I somehow weighed 201.4 this morning. Going to try to be really careful on diet this week and finally get below 200.

WOD - 5 rounds, 5 minute time cap.

Rd 1 - 10 hang cleans, 2 10m sprints
    2 - 8 HC, 4 sprints
    3 - 6 HC, 6 sprints
    4 - 4 HC, 8 sprints
    5 - 2 HC, 10 sprints

Got 4 of the final 10 sprints, so my "time" was 5:06. I really hate hang cleans.

Also did some clean and jerks and squats but after all the hang cleans I honestly mailed it in a little on those.

Well, I had almost 3 years in it before I quit, so you've a ways to go..lol

Interesting WOD there. I noticed my old box did the 100 burpees/kb swings today or yesterday, same as yours. I think it also had a 12 minute cap. I've never done 100 burpees faster than 9:30 I don't think so I'd have been screwed. I did 50 unbroken kb swings once in 2:30 but that was totally fresh..lol. That was in a kettlebell Annie. Try that one. Funz.
    Last edited by Patz; 11-04-2013 at 10:41 AM.

5/3/1 Journal

hahah when you say changing weights takes too long.. how long do you take between sets?
    Best competition lifts:

Current:
    Weight 145, using ConjugateWod training methods to develop Crossfit-applicable strength with extra work for learning movements and conditioning.

Pat, I think a lot of CF gyms are doing the same "Lurong" Paleo challenge right now, which means doing the same WODs around the same time and posting times to the Lurong website. I don't know who or what Lurong is, and I didn't want to pay $50 to do a diet challenge so I didn't, but the WODs have been good. Kinda tough.

ljo, I don't necessarily time my rest between sets, maybe 1.5-2 minutes. When I'm home I don't have a ton of time to lift (two kids), nor do I have a lot of space to move around in my depressing, spider-infested basement, so if I can knock it out in like 10 or 15 minutes with minimal weight changing that is great for me. Most of my working out is done at my CF gym so the benching is just supplementary. If/when my strength on bench goes up I am sure I will have to get more sophisticated with my programming.

Still in the 202-203 range lately.

WOD: 7 rounds, 18 minute time cap, rep scheme of 21/18/15/12/9/6/3

20 lb. wall balls
    115 lb. deadlifts
    24" box jumps

Completed in 16:24, which is about 1.5 minutes faster than the last time I did this on 9/16/2013. So I am happy with that improvement.

Bench tonight. I've been dealing with a weird calf, ligament, or hamstring pain for the last 8 days, a result of the tabata air squats last Tuesday. I keep thinking it's gone and then suddenly I'll stand up or turn my neck a certain way and the pain is back. The human body is weird.

couple things, 1) you can definitely increase your bench substantially doing many quick sessions with sub max weights.. if you look at a lot of russian training it'll be like monday triples at 80%, tuesday some 1s with 90, thursday 75% for some stuff etc.. seemingly random but a lot of it and easy enough that you can avoid feeling beat. Seems like that would fit with the two kids paradigm, and also weight changing isn't necessary.

Take care of that attachment, I've been lacrosse balling that same area and wearing a knee sleeve... seems to slowly be coming back.
    Best competition lifts:

Current:

Thanks, I will look up the Russian stuff. I had an acquaintance a number of years ago doing Sheiko training, is it anything at all like that? I don't remember a ton about it.

Right now I am using Johnny "Pain" Schaffer's linear progression method, which is basically just warm-up, then two sets of 5 reps, and 3rd set of reps to near-failure. Each session you bump the weight up in a linear fashion. Tonight I did

bar x 10
    95 x 10
    140 x 2 x 5
    140 x 14

I will continue to bump the weight by 5 until my final set comes down into the 8ish range.

Yeah I probably need to use the lacrosse ball myself. The foam roller doesn't do much on this part of the leg, just not enough pressure. I just hate how BAD the ball feels!

Oh ok. I still get the weekly email from my old box and they're doing that challenge. I get a fb ad from Irving sometimes. I think they're a nutrition company.

5/3/1 Journal

I think it is officially over now though.

WOD - CF Open 11.4

10 minute AMRAP (ha, yeah right)
    60 Bar Facing Burpees
    30 OHS (120/90)
    10 Muscle Ups

I made it through 21 of the Overhead Squats. Scaled to 95 lbs. If I'd gotten to the muscle-ups I would've scaled to regular pull-ups. But I'm pretty sure no one in the class finished.

Squat - 255 2x2, 285 x 1
    Front squat - 205 2x2, 225 x 1

I did that open wod during the 2011 open. I only got 4 OHS! LOL. My flexibility is horrendous.

5/3/1 Journal

Forgot to post yesterday.

“Armistice”
    9 Minute AMRAP
    100 Meter Sprint
    11 Situps
    11 Air Squats
    100 Meter Sprint
    22 Situps
    22 Air Squats
    100 Meter Sprint
    33….etc.

2 Minute Rest and Reflection
    then…

9 Minute AMRAP
    100 Meter Sprint
    11 Push Ups
    11 Box Jumps (24/20)
    100 Meter Sprint
    22 Push Ups
    22 Box Jumps
    100 Meter Sprint
    33…etc.

3 rounds + 1 run on the first one, then 2 rounds + 18 push-ups on the second. Sit-ups kill me. I am seriously so bad at them.

Then we did some power snatches, forget what weight.

They did that same workout at my cf gym, but I didn't make it. Crossfit situps always ruin the skin on my tailbone
    Best competition lifts:

Current:

I think my hip bones must be weird, sit-ups and hollow rocks are painful unless I have an ab mat or something.

Full Snatch
    2 x 65 lbs
    2 x 95 lbs
    1 x 115 lbs

These are feeling better but this leg issue is still bothering me.

Squat
    135 x 3
    225 x 2
    275 x 2

Was supposed to do another set of 275 x 2, then a single of 305, but the first set of 275 felt really heavy.

WOD:

15 min. AMRAP, 250 meter rows, 25 push-ups. Completed 4 rounds + 250m and 15/25 push-ups.

Good stuff in here. You squatted a double of my last 1rm..lol What's your max squat?

5/3/1 Journal

Max squat a couple months ago was 320. Should be more by now but I do better with more volume than I've been getting.

I took this past week off to give my leg some time to heal. It seemed a little better but the pain is back again today. Not sure how long I am going to have to wait. I still want to get some upper body stuff done in the meantime though.

What's going on with the leg? what're you doing for rehab?
    Best competition lifts:

Current:

Hey dudes. I took about 6 weeks off so my hamstring could heal. Went back today for a WOD, no pain.

10 rounds of 15 DLs (135 lbs) and 15 push-ups, 20 min time cap. Completed 7 rounds + 5 DLs. Push-ups were the limiting factor for sure. Then did a 10 minute EMOTM of 10 Russian KB swings at 24kg. I am beat but didn't feel as bad as expected.