The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1066
    Good work with the push press. Keep at it.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Quote Originally Posted by macdaknife View Post
    Tabatas are a killer!
    For sure. Lactic acid feels bad, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by ljosaitis View Post
    Hey dude, make better diet decisions.
    You are right of course. I should.

Quote Originally Posted by Patz View Post
    nice push press. I really miss doing it, probably just because I was pretty good at it..lol. 185 is great though. im sure you know, a lot of success comes from just trying to be as efficient with the movement as possible.
    I am not great at chaining them together because my efficiency goes to crap. But working on strength I feel like I do ok. Looking forward to a bodyweight push jerk, then push press. Maybe eventually strict press. But that'll be a while. I actually don't feel that much stronger on push jerk vs. press, which means I need to improve technique there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Good work with the push press. Keep at it.
    Thanks Chub.

4/30/2014

Squat:

135x5
    185x3
    225x2
    245x2
    265x2
    275x2

And done. I need to get back to squatting more. There was a time, in this very journal, when I could squat 275 3x5. There are so many different directions I want to take my training but I can't do them all.

WOD 16 Minute AMRAP
    Row 100M
    20 Air Squats
    Run 100M

Completed either 5 or 6 rounds +20 squats. I was a little concerned about this one, between the tabata weighted squats on Monday and all the air squats here I thought I might re-aggravate my leg injury, but other than one twinge that could've been mental I didn't feel anything and still don't.

I see your log has been going on for sometime. Nice work!

Yeah. It's been two steps forward and 1.5-2 steps back since 2008 for me. Thanks for stopping by.

Can any of you other old-timers tell me what happened to WBB? There used to be TONS of activity, in the journals and in the other forums. Now outside of journal updates this place is a ghost town. A bunch of the guys I used to talk to are long gone, some of them banned. What went wrong?
    Last edited by killxswitch; 05-01-2014 at 02:48 PM.

WOD - Kelly

5 rounds for time:

400m run
    30 box jumps (24")
    30 wall balls (20 lbs)

Completed in 33:50. Had a good pace for 3 rounds, really slowed down in the 4th, pushed it in the 5th but couldn't get in under 30 minutes, not really even close.

Kelly is brutal homie, way to stick through
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...NNKKKIINNNSSSS
    Just a lil guy trying to be fit.
    Best competition lifts:
    at 165: 630 sq, 480 bench, 501 dl

Current:
    Weight 145, using ConjugateWod training methods to develop Crossfit-applicable strength with extra work for learning movements and conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    Yeah. It's been two steps forward and 1.5-2 steps back since 2008 for me. Thanks for stopping by.

Can any of you other old-timers tell me what happened to WBB? There used to be TONS of activity, in the journals and in the other forums. Now outside of journal updates this place is a ghost town. A bunch of the guys I used to talk to are long gone, some of them banned. What went wrong?

Management. Differing opinions. A lot of the same stupid shit being tolerated and when individuals were called on it those posters were banned. Some people came in from the outside and essentially berated a lot of the long standing posters because they didn't fit with what they thought were the standards to have. Bunch of stupid shit.

Kelly is brutal homie, way to stick through
    Thanks. I was happy with my intensity for all except the 4th round, I gave up a little bit then. I mean it's an entire Karen, plus 150 box jumps, PLUS 1.25 miles of running.

Management. Differing opinions. A lot of the same stupid shit being tolerated and when individuals were called on it those posters were banned. Some people came in from the outside and essentially berated a lot of the long standing posters because they didn't fit with what they thought were the standards to have. Bunch of stupid shit.
    That's too bad. I used to really like it here. Now it seems like it's not even worth it to make a post in any of the regular forums.

edit: forgot to post my actual workout.

Front Squat:

bar x a few
    135 x 5
    185 x 2
    225 x 2
    245 x 2 (+20 lb. PR)
    255 x 2 (+30 lb. PR)

Woooo PR. My last 1RM on front squat was 225. That was a while ago. But still. Pretty happy with this.

WOD #1 - 6 minute AMRAP
    1 calorie row
    1 burpee
    2 calories row
    2 burpees
    etc.

Completed 8 rounds + 9 calories and 3 burpees. I like sprint workouts, good intensity on this one. The guy next to me lied and said he had the same result. I shouldn't let that sort of BS bother me but it does.

WOD #2 - 6 minute AMRAP
    1 strict pull-up
    1 hand-stand push-up
    2 pull-ups
    2 HSPU
    etc.

Completed 5 rounds + 6 pull-ups + 4 HSPU. Pull-ups and especially HSPU are not great movements for me.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 05-05-2014 at 07:58 AM.

fat submariner
    Great job with the front squat PRs Kills... well done mate!
    Age: 41 - Height: 5'10" - Weight: 195lb (NOT LEAN! (but maybe finally getting a little bit leaner?))

Squat: 180kg (396lb) x 2
    Front Squat: 100kg (220lb) 5 x 5
    Zercher Squat: 140kg (308lbs) x 1
    Bench Press: 110kg (242lb) x 1
    Deadlift: 220kg (484lb) x 1
    SLDL: 170kg (374lb) x 1

Mac's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post

What Andy said is accurate, plus (in my opinion) they did away with general chat posts counting toward the overall total. People care about that stuff I guess. That absolutely KILLED general chat, which is where people have fun and keep coming back, which leads to them sticking with journals and posting in other forums while they BS in gen chat. Plus (also in m opinion), when it switched to being primarily powerlifting and all these new mods came in (I was a mod for a couple years, then kinda gently asked to give it up to make room for new people, although in fairness I wasn't getting on here much by that time) and they weren't quite as graceful as the rest of us had been. Modding is all about staying out of the way and only banning as a last resort. Being overly strict about language and topics is fine on a forum with grown-ups on it, but this place was primarily teenagers and early 20's guys, and we talked about a lot of dumb shit and it should have stayed that way in my opinion.

I got banned a couple years ago for saying "shoulda called Clint Eastwood to take care of that carful of asians" in a thread where someone had gotten attacked by some asian guys. It was a joke, referencing the movie "Gran Torino" and I got a banned message saying it was "hate speech"..LOL. Obviousy Travis had never seen the movie I suppose. Either way, it wasn't hate speech and it might have been polite to consider ASKING me about it when I was a former mod and probably in the top 20 in post count all time on this forum. Stuff like that was rampant from mods long before even that happened. The place just went totally sour. There are journals on the first page that havent been updated in like 2-3 months I think. Back then, if I posted my journal in the morning I would be on page 3 by the time I got home.

Whew...rant over. I've needed to say that for a while..LOL

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

255 x 2 is great dude.
    Best competition lifts:

Current:
    Weight 145, using ConjugateWod training methods to develop Crossfit-applicable strength with extra work for learning movements and conditioning.

fat submariner
    Back then, if I posted my journal in the morning I would be on page 3 by the time I got home.
    I've only been here a couple of years but in my time the pages filled up like that... not that long ago.
    Age: 41 - Height: 5'10" - Weight: 195lb (NOT LEAN! (but maybe finally getting a little bit leaner?))

Mac's Journal

Great job with the front squat PRs Kills... well done mate!
    Thanks mac. It felt really good. Front squats are one of my favorite movements right now and feel way better than back squats.

**some ranting**
    Man that is a bummer. I've looked for a place on the web similar to what WBB used to be and haven't found it. At least people still comment in journals here though.

255 x 2 is great dude.
    Thanks. I was only shooting for 225-235 so to exceed it by that much felt really good.

---

Bench Press:

bar x 10
    135 x 5
    155 x 2
    175 x 2
    185 x 2
    200 x 2 (+15lb PR)
    210 x 1, failed 2nd rep (that's still a new 1RM by 5 lbs. haha)

Nice to get two PRs in a day. If we max out in the next couple of weeks I may try 225. I've been chasing two plates on bench for a long time.

WOD 16 Minute Cap

100 Single Jumps Forward
    80 Single Jumps Backwards
    60 Situps
    40 Double Unders
    20 Backwards Double Unders
    SCORE #1 - 7:10

40 Double Unders
    60 Situps
    80 Single Jumps Backwards
    100 Single Jumps Forward
    SCORE #2 - 14:09 (Total Time)

I seriously half-assed the backwards DUs, because who cares? The sit-ups sucked the most.

hahaha dude I wouldn't even try. Learning DU is enough of a time drain, backwards or triple are off the table.
    Best competition lifts:

Current:

hahaha dude I wouldn't even try. Learning DU is enough of a time drain, backwards or triple are off the table.
    Yeah I didn't spend much time on it, and will probably never try them again.

DL - touch-and-go

135x5
    185x5
    225x5
    275x2
    315x2
    365x2, still fast, no problem at all
    405x1, got out of position on 2nd rep and failed. I was out of time so I could not retry. I think I could've gotten it but I probably should've tried 385 here instead, I haven't done a lot of TNG reps and it's not super comfortable for me.

WOD - 10 rounds of

1 minute row for calories
    15 second rest
    30 seconds of push-ups
    15 second rest

204 cals, 114 push-ups. Pretty happy with my rowing. Push-ups where ok, knocked out 18 the first round but the last 5 or so I could barely get 8/round.

I've pretty much stopped any touch and go work. I feel like my DL has gotten a lot better because of it. Nice DL work Paul.

fat submariner
    Nice bench PRs mate!

Mac's Journal

I seriously half-assed the backwards DUs, because who cares? The sit-ups sucked the most.
    Whaaaat?? Man I totally would have finished first! I can do 2 of those in a row!

Nice bench PR!

5/3/1 Journal

I've pretty much stopped any touch and go work. I feel like my DL has gotten a lot better because of it. Nice DL work Paul.
    It is something I would like to get more proficient at, but I don't think I'll do it exclusively. Thanks Chub.

Nice bench PRs mate!
    Thanks Mac. It is nice to finally see a little progress on bench.

Whaaaat?? Man I totally would have finished first! I can do 2 of those in a row!

Nice bench PR!
    Thanks Pat. Ha, one of the gym owners was coaching that morning and he said "I wonder if backwards DUs are hard." I said "You mean you don't know?" He laughed and said the other owner loves them and is the one that programmed the workout. He then tried some and was horrible. And this guy is on a Regionals team next weekend.

2RM Thrusters:

75x5
    95x2
    125x2
    145x2
    155x2
    165x2
    175x2

I wanted to get 185 but ran out of time. And honestly 175 was pretty damn heavy.

WOD - for time

10 Toes-to-bar
    15 box jumps (24")
    20 powercleans (95 lbs)
    15 box jumps (24")
    10 T2B

Finished in 4:40. Not the best but the time cap was 10 minutes so I'm fine with it. If I could chain T2B together I would've been in the 3's.

Also did some V-ups which sucked, and some body levers which also sucked.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 05-12-2014 at 07:13 AM.

Fuck a fucking thruster. HATE THEM!

ya man 175 is great!
    Best competition lifts:

Current:

No doubt. I like thrusters when they're heavy and low reps but high rep thrusters can eat shit.

5/3/1 Journal

Fuck a fucking thruster. HATE THEM!
    I actually kind of like them. But doing a lot of them does suck after a while. For sets of two they're fine though.

ya man 175 is great!
    Thanks. I will feel like a badass if I go over 200.

No doubt. I like thrusters when they're heavy and low reps but high rep thrusters can eat shit.
    Same. Though like on Fran or something with lots of reps I find I do well if I break them up into sets of 7 or less. My triceps have been sore since doing those which is interesting.

500m rowing time trial: Finished in 1:32. So close to sub-1:30 but I just couldn't sustain the pace.

WOD - 3 rounds of

400m run
    20 cal row
    15 handstand push ups (scale was plate+ab mat under my head)
    50 double-unders (2 minutes max on these)

Completed in 20:37. First in the class, though I think that has more to do with the people that were there. I managed 44 double-unders in the first round which for me is fantastic. My handstand push ups are pretty sketchy.

Not my favorite kind of day but I will do some sort of lifting at home tonight.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 05-14-2014 at 09:02 AM.

fat submariner
    what's a thruster?

Mac's Journal

Can't tell from work if that video will load. It's basically a front squat where, when you finish standing up, you press the bar up over head. The goal is to drive hard out of the squat to propel the bar up so you only have to lockout at the top.