Thread: ABS!

Wannabebig Member

ABS!

I have been trying to work out my abs for some time now and i can get them to grow a little. I have a six pack but the bottom two are hardly noticable. I think the main problem is i don't do the right ab workouts. I do alot of crunches and i feel the burn while doing them but hardly the next day r they saor. How can i really work my abs?????

Do weighted crunches.

Eat right.

Wannabebig New Member
    Weighted crunches?

Wannabebig Member
    k but i'm a newb so what r waited crunches? like what do i do?

You do a crunch with weights. Weighted crunches. Take a weight plate and put it on your chest and hold it there with your arms. Or you can try this, I like this one I think I am going to start this one. http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...ushCrunch.html
    Age 24
    Weight 180lbs Goal 200lbs by 06/01/08
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300
    "Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that will get you."

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks brad but i am currently just doing workouts at my house so i don't have the proper bench or any bench really. Otherwise it looks great! So how do you just have your feet on the ground when you do crunches or crossed in the air? And then do you go until your arms touch your knees or just tell you freel the burn?

I think your thinking to far into things. Find something heavy in your house and put it on your chest and do some situps. Knees bent feet flat on the floor like normal. If you can do 15 then you need more weight. Try to keep it around 10 reps or so, so make sure the weight is high enough to tax you at that rep set. You can get 16 lbs out of filling 2 empty milk gallons with water, I am trying to think of stuff for you to use but my head is blank right now.

The whole leg position stuff probably means you have been reading to much garbage. Your abs are a muscle you can't work sections of a muscle, if the muscle is being stressed then the whole thing is. So don't worry about doing leg variations they are all really hitting the same muscle.
    Age 24
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300
    "Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that will get you."

Wannabebig Member
    Alright thanks a bunch brad and if i do say 3 sets of like 10 will that be enough? I work them out 3 times a week. I guess what i am asking is does this workout stand alone or do i need to do other workouts as well?

Abs are all about diet. You need to have low enough body fat for them to show good. But at the same time you need them to be bigger in order to be seen. Thats why you build them with heavy weight so they get bigger. Once they are bigger you will either be able to see them right away or you might have to lose weight it matters your build.
    Make sure you take time between days you don't want to overwork them. Really the best way is to just have a all around good workout. Big compound movements work everything so they help build your abs as well. Read more it sounds like you havent' read anything in here. Read the stickies at the top of this section and look at the routines, read the articles go into diet and nutrition and read read read. There is way to much info to tell you but if you read enough you will learn it all.
    Age 24
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300

Wannabebig Member
    Ya your right i havn't read like anything but mainly cuz i don't know what to read and everytimke i read i read different things and don't know who is right...thats why i decided to ask people who have experience and are working out and getting real experience. but thanks a bunch bro!

What does your diet look like. Everyone has ab muscles but they are all covered with skin and fat. So what are your stats and I will help.

Casey Can you post some ab tips in here. I am curious what you suggest exercise wise. You can find all my stats on my signature or in the journal. I want to get rid of the stupid Iso ab machine I use at the gym and just wanted to know what is best to move to.
    Age 24
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300

Check the link in my sig.

One that isn't mentioned there, but probably my favorite; weighted planks

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/...d-plank-th.jpg
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Quote Originally Posted by Dgro View Post
    Check the link in my sig.

One that isn't mentioned there, but probably my favorite; weighted planks

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/...d-plank-th.jpg
    I always wondered about those... about how long should you stay like that per set?

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Probably been said but those last to like to hide uner fat until you get really lean.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

lift and eat. that works for me...
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

Quote Originally Posted by Shouji View Post
    I always wondered about those... about how long should you stay like that per set?
    a smart guy told me around 1 minute. I do what he says and it's been working alright.

it feels kinda cool after doing a heavy set of those, I become really aware of my abs without flexing them or anything. cool feeling
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

I have GOT to try those weighted planks.

Like everyone else said, heavy weighted ab work, low rep sets, and diet off the fat.

Planks,bridges,side bends,weights decline sit ups and weighted leg raises. Oh yea and diet of course.
    January 07-164 pounds
    *Bulking*
    Deccember 07 - 225 pounds

June 08 - 205
    *Currently Cutting*
    Goal-190

November 08-238 pounds
    *Bulking till January 1st*

I have a dip station at home, I sit on the ground Indian style and grab the dip handles and do pull-ups while staying in the Indian seating position. It gives your abs a great workout while working your upper body as well. I'm working to the point where I can do them with my feet straight out infront of me.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Apparently the abs usually reveal from the top down with reducing body fat.

It's not due to your exercise selection, it's due to the lack of intensity to create the required overally growth, and too much fat on it.

Banned
    do the twists and crunches

I never really like weighted ab workouts becuase it just builds my ab muscles up to much and makes me look bloated, i like the flat ripped ab look. I keep the time between sets to about 15-20sec. and go again, feel the burn. I have learned that if you have high bf% and you are doing weighted abs then the only thing you are doing is building up are abs and pushing out your fat even further. If you diet right and cardio your abs will show no matter what.

This is what i have learned in the past, some bodybuilders like dexter "the blade" jackson doesn't even do abs.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclesam View Post
    do the twists and crunches
    Penis Enlargment? It must work. You're the biggest peckerhead I've ever seen. Take a hike.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.