Thread: Abs. How Often Do You Train Them?

Wannabebig Member

Abs. How Often Do You Train Them?

I am curious to hear about others ab routines and how often they train their abs. Currently I am training mine twice a week and thinking of adding another day in there somewhere. Is it possible to over train your abs? I have heard somewhere that it is not possible but I’m not sure how or why it wouldn’t be…

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I used to train them once a month, but for 3 months or so once a week for 3 sets.
    All weights in kilograms in my posts. 1 kg = 2,2 lbs

My training log.
    My foreign language study site.

Wannabebig Member
    The abdominals get a great deal of indirect work from squats & deadlifts so it probably isn't necessary to train them too frequently. They, like any other muscle group, can be overtrained. I rarely work them separately, but then again, I'm not training for a bodybuilding competition either. Those who do have competition on their minds should probably train them as a separate unit but not too frequently at first. Build up volume slowly. It is possible to work muscle groups multiple times a week even if drug free but build up exercise tolerance slowly.

-J

When i was doing more of a bodybuilding routien i trained abs once a week with a few sets to failor. Now since im into powerlifting i train them twice a week non failor with about 5 sets each time
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

3:16
    once a week.
    hanging leg raise where I pull my body up.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Bespoke Super Mod
    Twice a week, mostly all of these sets are done statically
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02

I train mine usually twice a week. I do about 2 - 3 sets each day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And yes, you can overtrain them. In fact, most people probably do.
    Last edited by syntekz; 03-17-2002 at 06:25 AM.

decease, RIP
    I try to do them once a week, sometimes I forget. Anyway having good looking abs has little to nothing to do with how you train them.
    big.

A couple times a week. Nothing to intense.
    " Eat to grow, Progression to get stronger " - mesmall

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    For years, I blasted abs by sitting on a decline bench and doing crunches with a 45lb plate on my chest. I also liked (and still do) putting a broom handle across my shoulders, leaning back some on that decline bench and twisting. Good exercise! The results were pretty good, but not excellent.

After thinking about things a bit, I do something a little different.

Instead of blasting abs with a mega-workout once or twice a week, I do a smaller ab workout 5 days per week.

I came to this by way of looking at aerobics instructors. Good aerobics instructors do classes daily and sometimes several times per day. They usually have about -5% bf and killer abs.

So I couple this smaller 5 day routine with the secondary ab benefits from lifting the weights. The results?

When I started, I had a 38" waist and a pretty flabby gut. Within about 1.5 years, I am at 32" waist and a pretty decent six pack. I am not suggesting that this is the ONLY reason. I also really started focusing on my diet, too, and switched my mentality from PL to BB.

It's different, granted, but man does it work!
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

W8_4_me....aerobic instructors have killer abs because they do all those classes. Everyone would have killer abs if they had no fat on them. Do all the ab work you want but you will never see the result with fat covering them.

P.S. I know you know that, but I will clear it up for those who don't.
    " Eat to grow, Progression to get stronger " - mesmall

PaddleSkiBikeClimbHikeLift Hunt's Avatar
    Right now I am doing one heavy training day for abs on a "clean-up" day with neck and lower back as well as a shorter ab workout on rest day from lifting 4 days removed from the heavy abs day. Seems to be a decent set-up for right now.

Since you don't really want to add mass to your abs (unlike just about every other muscle group on your body), I don't think you should train your abs similarly other body parts. That being said, if you really want a six pack its going to come down to diet and cardio. There's no magic exercise/training routine for your abs that will make the fat disappear. I know a couple body builders that don't train their abs directly at all (they have rather low body fat and are pretty competitive too). I train my abs directly once a week to make sure I have enough strength balance between my lower back and my abs (I don't want to any back problems caused by muscular imbalance).
    Obstacles are what you see when you take your mind off the goal.
    -Unknown

Energy and persistence conquer all things.
    -Benjamin Franklin

**Wants to put mass on his abs.

I want big lumps in my mid section. I don't want to have really low body fat for my abs to be visible.

decease, RIP
    :withstupi mass everywhere yeeeha!
    big.

The only abs I do are when I finish skullcrushers. I crunch the bar back up and put it away, so i do about 6 crunches a week.

: )
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

I wouldn't neglect your abs. Might regret it later on.

'twas only a joke syntekz : )

I don't work them all that much, but I work them.
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    I work them once a week tops, rarerly twice a week. After deads and squats, my abs are feelin it. Of course, I don't work abs before either of those, as I don't want weak stabilizers on those lifts.