Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: When should you start using gear?

  1. #1
    I sleep with pizza Rusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nobleton, Ontario
    Posts
    610

    When should you start using gear?

    I did a search and yielded nothing.

    Soooo..........

    Can starting to use gear too early hinder your progress and cause you to rely on it too much? Should you wait until you've built up a considerable strength base before getting into gear?

    When's the ideal time to start training with shirts/suits/briefs...etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

  2. #2
    GFH Lones Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    6,863
    i waited til i'd been powerlifting for 6 months before i bought my first single ply suit. i'd been lifting weights since high school, though. i got over 100 lbs out of a single ply suit, so i had pretty good success with it. you probably need to build some decent raw strength before you start. its hard for me to hit depth if i'm not using a lot of weight in my single ply suit.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

    825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,324
    What are your goals for competing? How long have you been training?

    I'm definitely a proponent of training raw, but have recently started incorporating "some" gear to allow for an overload factor. I trained for 15 years before I stepped into a suit.

  4. #4
    Senior Member deeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,255
    It totally depends on your goals as a lifter.

    As a single ply lifter I don't train in gear very often as the learning curve isn't the same as some of the more extreme stuff.

    I've found that getting into my gear for 3-5 sessions before a contest is enough to get into the groove of things. I put my squat suit or bench shirt on every once and a while to practice but so far it hasn't been more than every 1 or 2 months..
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

  5. #5
    Senior Member Sidior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    5,029
    I lifted for 2.5 years before I got into any gear which was single ply at the time. I got in to multi ply briefs soon after hitting the 3 year mark.

    I think gear can be beneficial and fun to use once a lifter has a solid base with the big 3.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

    Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

  6. #6
    I sleep with pizza Rusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nobleton, Ontario
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    It totally depends on your goals as a lifter.

    As a single ply lifter I don't train in gear very often as the learning curve isn't the same as some of the more extreme stuff.

    I've found that getting into my gear for 3-5 sessions before a contest is enough to get into the groove of things. I put my squat suit or bench shirt on every once and a while to practice but so far it hasn't been more than every 1 or 2 months..
    This was the answer I was looking for.

    I'm applying for an OPA and CPU membership, and I'd like to do an open meet within the next year. I want to get some time in while I'm still a junior.

    I think I'll order a shirt and some briefs just to start to learn how to use them.

    Deeder, are you going to the CPU nationals in St. Catherines this April?
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

  7. #7
    Senior Member Sidior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    5,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    This was the answer I was looking for.

    I'm applying for an OPA and CPU membership, and I'd like to do an open meet within the next year. I want to get some time in while I'm still a junior.

    I think I'll order a shirt and some briefs just to start to learn how to use them.

    Deeder, are you going to the CPU nationals in St. Catherines this April?
    If you are competing in the CPU get a shirt and squat suit. Briefs aren't legal.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

    Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

  8. #8
    Senior Member deeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    If you are competing in the CPU get a shirt and squat suit. Briefs aren't legal.
    Listen to this man.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    This was the answer I was looking for.

    I'm applying for an OPA and CPU membership, and I'd like to do an open meet within the next year. I want to get some time in while I'm still a junior.

    I think I'll order a shirt and some briefs just to start to learn how to use them.

    Deeder, are you going to the CPU nationals in St. Catherines this April?
    Yes I'll be at Nationals

    I'll be the guy that everyone's whispering about (didn't he total under 500 last year?! WOW!!!)
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

  9. #9
    I sleep with pizza Rusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nobleton, Ontario
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    If you are competing in the CPU get a shirt and squat suit. Briefs aren't legal.
    Good to know! Thanks guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

  10. #10
    Super Moderator vdizenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,370
    I think you can start wearing gear whenever you want regardless of age. However, you must be responsible and make good core strength gains. It is good to throw in occassional unequipped cycles. Keep some of your ME exercises unequipped and you will be fine.

    The days of putting on gear two weeks before a meet are over. You must train in the gear to learn the gear.

  11. #11
    Wannabebig Member Priest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    89
    Whenever you want.

  12. #12
    I sleep with pizza Rusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nobleton, Ontario
    Posts
    610
    Just ordered a shirt and squat suit from a place in Regina (they were the only place in Canada I could find that had metal gear). I was going to order from EliteFTS but I didn't want to get hit with border taxes. The shirt wasn't in stock so it'll be a couple of weeks. I also mailed in my application to the OPA today so if everything goes to plan, I should be looking to sign up for a meet sometime during the summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

  13. #13
    Quote the Priest Nevermore PriestCometh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    349
    what kind did u get?

  14. #14
    Senior Member deeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Just ordered a shirt and squat suit from a place in Regina (they were the only place in Canada I could find that had metal gear). I was going to order from EliteFTS but I didn't want to get hit with border taxes. The shirt wasn't in stock so it'll be a couple of weeks. I also mailed in my application to the OPA today so if everything goes to plan, I should be looking to sign up for a meet sometime during the summer.
    Excellent choice! You ordered from the guys I train with
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

  15. #15
    I sleep with pizza Rusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nobleton, Ontario
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by PriestCometh View Post
    what kind did u get?
    Viking bencher and a Viking V-Squatter

    Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    Excellent choice! You ordered from the guys I train with
    Awsome!

    I'll definitely be doing business again with them in the future!
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

Similar Threads

  1. Westside 'Til You Die!
    By silles in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-20-2007, 05:49 AM
  2. gear
    By Lones Green in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 04:54 AM
  3. Newbie about to start a bulk, Need help! (very Detialed inside)
    By murdoc52 in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-19-2006, 12:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •