Thread: The History of Strength Sports.

The History of Strength Sports.

As some of you guys know, i'm working on a school essay about strength sports... in particular, powerlifting. I have to do a short presentation on friday as well, where I'm going to be including videos of some big lifts and present pictures. I'm also going to pass around my knee wraps, squat suit, singlet...etc. I'm arguing that using supportive gear in competition is not "cheating". I'm looking for a little info on the history of strength sports and where gear first originated. I'm not looking for you guys to write my essay for me, just aid me in strengthening my arguments/points.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Detard; 01-21-2008 at 05:55 PM.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

i dont really have anything to add, but i will agree that it is not cheating to use gear, especially if it is aloud in meets, especially professional emeets
    You cant buy strength, but you sure as hell can work for it

When did strength sports begin?

Well... its probably THE oldest sport. I can see two primitive men competing, who can lift the biggest rock off the ground to impress the female. PLing is just an extension of that essentially. Simple compound straight forward lifts define ones total strength.

And use the analogy that PL gear is like cleats for football players or gloves in baseball. Cleats allow football players to accelerate faster and prevent slipping. Gear wont make you lift more weight if you dont know how to lift to begin with.

I had a conversation with a B.Ber in the gym, I asked him why he didnt deadlift and he said something like "it's a primative lift" and went back to his tricep kickbacks.

It got me thinking that the deadlift must be nearly as old as man himself. How else would you get that huge deer over your shoulder? That's what I love about the lift. It's as natural as they come, just a straightforward grab and HEAVE.

As for equipment, I was told that Bench shirts were originally made (in the late 70s) for people with benching/upper body injuiries so they could still bench while recovering, from there it became apparent that the shirts helped healthy people too. Not sure how true or accurate that is?

detard there are some really good articles in this last year's issues of powerlifting USA about the history of strength you could reference. if you don't have access to them, if they'll get there in time, i'll send you mine.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

There are great websites on the history of strength training. Just google "history of strength sports" or "physical culture" and you'll find them.

Try these:

http://www.naturalstrength.com/history/default.asp
    http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/blog/
    http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competition/compindex.htm
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    As some of you guys know, i'm working on a school essay about strength sports... in particular, powerlifting. I have to do a short presentation on friday as well, where I'm going to be including videos of some big lifts and present pictures. I'm also going to pass around my knee wraps, squat suit, singlet...etc. I'm arguing that using supportive gear in competition is not "cheating". I'm looking for a little info on the history of strength sports and where gear first originated. I'm not looking for you guys to write my essay for me, just aid me in strengthening my arguments/points.

Thanks in advance.
    Wikipedia info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerlifting

Give Paul Kelso a call:
    http://www.trapbartraining.com/power..._timeline.html

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
    www.atlargenutrition.com

GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?