Thread: Smith Machine Squats

Smith Machine Squats

I've heard that Smith Machine squats are absolute garabage compared to actual sqaut rack sqauts. My problem is that my crappy gym only has the Smith, so should I continue doing my squats on the Smith, or is there any other excercise that will give me similar results, (I also do deadlifts)

Personally i like the smith because you can go maximum and not worry about hurting yourself in my opinion. The only problem i have with smith that it doesnt use the stabalizer muscle like squats. So far after every workout i try to walk up the stairs and i have to sit down for couple of minutes cus i can't walk.

Keep doing 'em.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

Yes its true the Smith Machine is sh1t, compared to real squats.

The only things that come to mind is to find another gym, with the right equipment. Maybe some else can help you more.

PS. you can do SLDL and lunges they will work your legs, but not like squats.

Which type of squats is better depends on your goals. Both of them can have their place.

If you are primarily looking for hypertrophy in the thighs, than I believe that for many, feet foward smith squats are superior to standard squats. I personally don't get much out of regular squats, no matter how strictly I perform them. My thigh development has come primarily from hack squats and leg press variations. I will do regular squats about once every six weeks for variation, as well as to work my stabilizer muscles, and my gluteus and hip structure.

If you are lifting for sports performance, or if you are looking to increase another compound lift, like deads, than the regular squat is more advantageous.

Remember that although there are SOME "golden rules" in bodybuilding, we are all individuals, with different preferences, recovery abilities, genetics, muscle attatchments, structural makeups, ect. And these differences allow for alot of variation within these "rules."

Originally posted by millertime
    Yes its true the Smith Machine is sh1t, compared to real squats.

The only things that come to mind is to find another gym, with the right equipment. Maybe some else can help you more.

PS. you can do SLDL and lunges they will work your legs, but not like squats.
    LMAO
    Perhaps you could have a bit more background before telling someone to change his gym, cos it sucks. For many people Smith is better.
    BTW I too prefer regular squats.

I agree with gopro. Depends on yuor goals. I just read an article where they tested Smith Squats v. Reg. squats. And the smith machine was just as effective in hitting the same muscles as regular squats do except regualr squats were more effective in hitting your hips.

Personally I prefer regular squats (no smith).. I find I can do them with better form (dont ask me why), and I get better results.. The only other prob I find with smith is the lack of stabilizer muscle work.. It COULD be dangerous if you ever switched to regular squats.. Im always weary about leavin those muscles out..

In my opinion hips are a very important part of the body to keep trainined. You depend on your hips for so many things that if they become forgotten in your routine you will have problems later in life...and sooner if you are active.

That's why I'm dumping smith squats.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

True your hips are important but if your a bodybuilder it doesn't really matter that much just walking around sufficently works your hips. How many bodybuilders have won because of there nice hips?

If your a powerlifter your going to need strong ass hips.