The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Squat rack-Power rack differences

This may sound like a stupid question, but here it goes anyway. I assume that, in general, a squat rack is only used for squatting. I see most of the people using the power rack for squatting and standing presses. What are other uses for both? Someone had mentioned once that a power rack can be used for a bench press if there is no spotter available.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference... The Marines don't have that problem."
    President Ronald Reagan - 1985

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Squat rack is the one that is open with a flat length of steel on either side at thigh level and then it angles up on either side with the pegs right?

If so I use that for SLDLS, Squats, i've used it for BB shrugs, and am now using it for standing military press.

If I don't have them mixed up then that makes the power rack the metal box with no walls then, where you can put pins at specific levels or hooks. I now use that primarily just for BB Shrugs. We have I think 4 or 5 of those at my gym and only one of the squat racks.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

ya BP with it, chin with it, cook with it, hang your shirt up to dry on it
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I use my power rack for nearly all my exercises invloving a barbell.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Originally posted by ElPietro
    Squat rack is the one that is open with a flat length of steel on either side at thigh level and then it angles up on either side with the pegs right?

If so I use that for SLDLS, Squats, i've used it for BB shrugs, and am now using it for standing military press.
    SLDL-Do you load up the bar on the rack and then drop it to the floor?

Originally posted by ElPietro
    If I don't have them mixed up then that makes the power rack the metal box with no walls then, where you can put pins at specific levels or hooks. I now use that primarily just for BB Shrugs. We have I think 4 or 5 of those at my gym and only one of the squat racks.
    Isn't it better to use the power rack for squats? You can adjust the long rods on each side to whatever level you want, depending on how low you squat. If you get stuck during a rep, you just drop the bar down.

What about a bench press? How can it be used with one of these racks?
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference... The Marines don't have that problem."

Originally posted by jarhead

SLDL-Do you load up the bar on the rack and then drop it to the floor?

Isn't it better to use the power rack for squats? You can adjust the long rods on each side to whatever level you want, depending on how low you squat. If you get stuck during a rep, you just drop the bar down.
    on SLDL I'm not going all the way to the floor, I don't think many ppl do...so I use the flat part of the squat rack just to hold the weight at a better level...so I'll pick it up take a couple backwards steps and do my reps then take a couple steps forward and put it back...

Squats I find if I really were in trouble there really isn't too much difference between a squat rack and power rack if i'm going to drop the weight...but in a squat rack if I miss the pegs there are more pegs just below that so it shouldn't ever just drop...on a power rack if you miss the hooks the weight could drop a long way which could cause injury...

Not the easiest thing to explain anyway...
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Is it a bad idea to go all the way to the floor when performing SLDL's? I go all the way down.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Jarhead- depends on your build and what style you are using. I want to keep my back straight while doing them, not rounded. So I do them in the fashion El Pietro was talking about, just with my power rack instead of a squat rack.

I squat in the power rack. I nearly died the one time I went heavy with a squat rack.

Bench press- just slide a bench in the rack and make sure the pins aren't too high that they will hit the bar when you bring it down. I don't find any extra safety in this because I bench to my chest when doing full benches. I do set the pins higher for rack lockouts and stuff like that.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL