The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Went from skinny to average. Now I need help getting to the next level--getting BIG!

Ok, let me mention first that I had a completely different goal last year when I started lifting than I do this year. Last year I just wanted to go from being horribly skinny and unhealthy looking to looking average for my height. However, since I've seen how much confidence I've gotten, my goal is now to seriously get into weightlifting and actually get big. I've made tremendous progress and I'm really proud of myself, but now I know I have a tough road ahead of me.

For the past year as I said, I honestly didn't take weightlifting too seriously. I've always benched since I started, but I never did deadlifts or squats. At the risk of sounding like a total pussy, I'm actually afraid of doing squats(falling backwards, knee giving out, etc.) And I refuse to use the Smith machine for squats because it looks so incredibly gay using it for them. There is a machine where you load weight onto each side and then have two pads on each shoulder and do squats standing on a slant. I don't know how good that is, but obviously not as good as real squats.

Overall, I did stuff like DB curls, bench press, cable rows, leg press, leg extension, chest cables, etc. splitting it up 3 days a week. I was fortunate enough to get really good newbie gains doing this.

However, it's gotten to the point where I haven't seen gains in quite a while. My bench shot up big time since I started but has been the same for months and months. I guess you get to a certain point after newbie gains that have to take it seriously(which I haven't) to get further gains. Plus when you don't change things up, that can't help either.

So yeah, I'm hoping you guys can recommend a good program to start the next level for me...getting big. My legs are very long and very much lagging compared to my upper body, so getting them bigger is a key thing for me. But obviously I want to get bigger overall.

As far as diet goes, I'm still very confused over the whole debate about bulking and cutting. Some people on here say it's a waste of time to bulk and cut...saying it's a lot better to bulk slowly and put on a little weight as possible and then not have to cut...or something like that. I think Belial was the one I remember saying this. I've been on a bulk pretty much for a year and still could continue on one. I have about 25 more pounds I'd like to gain yet.

I did buy that book UD2.0 and was so overwelmed by the advanced stuff and technical terms in the book that I actually fell asleep 20 pages into it. I had no clue what I was reading whatsoever. Someone on the forums was nice enough to send me the jist of the book in lamens terms, which helped a bit. I'd like to use that diet program after I gain another 20-25 pounds and maintain my weight while losing bodyfat....as I understand is possible using that program in the book.

Anyway, please help with a good routine for me if you can. I've heard good things about that Bill Starr 5x5...do you think that's a good thing to start with?

Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by Blade55; 01-22-2008 at 10:18 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I had great newbie gains with a full body 3 times a week workout. Then I started to plateau and get burned out so I switched to the BGB routine have since seen the gains resume. Squats and deads have been going up 5-10 lbs each week and bench is going up 5 lbs at least every 2 weeks. And these gains aren't on a 1RM, its on the 5x5s I do.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

The Bill Starr 5x5 is a great strength routine, I noticed gains on it very quickly. It takes some getting used to not going to failure all the time, but once you do it is awesome in my opinion.

Check out the WBB routines also, you'll find many of our members got great results on them.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

hey check out the book "starting strength" - it would be perfect for you - I bet your gains would start shooting up very fast again on this program.

Its a full body that focuses on squats, bench, and deadlift.

Oh, so the Bill Starr 5x5 routine is mostly for strength? I'm honestly not concerned at all about my strength, I just want to get more mass quickly. What routine would the best for this goal? Remember, my legs are long and skinny so should I work my legs twice a week? Maybe there's a good routine that incorporates that?

Quote Originally Posted by Blade55 View Post
    Oh, so the Bill Starr 5x5 routine is mostly for strength? I'm honestly not concerned at all about my strength, I just want to get more mass quickly. What routine would the best for this goal? Remember, my legs are long and skinny so should I work my legs twice a week? Maybe there's a good routine that incorporates that?
    Do WBB1.

And if your more concerned about mass than strength, you better be eating like a T-Rex.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Quote Originally Posted by Runty View Post
    And if your more concerned about mass than strength, you better be eating like a T-Rex.
    Anything more than 500 calories over maintenance is useless and will just be fat. My maintenance is approximately 2400 calories. I really don't have to eat that much.

Isn't WBB#1 mainly for complete newbs? I'm curious about which program other people think I should do. Where is everybody?
    Last edited by Blade55; 01-24-2008 at 02:05 PM.

I'm a huge fan of "the new rules of lifting" program. I've made great gains in size and strength in a very short amount of time. I'd suggest checking out that book. I have the spreadsheets of all the routines too if you want. PM me with your email address, and I'll send them to you if you want, but buying the book is highly recommended for in depth explanations of the theories behind it all.

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    I'm a huge fan of "the new rules of lifting" program. I've made great gains in size and strength in a very short amount of time. I'd suggest checking out that book. I have the spreadsheets of all the routines too if you want. PM me with your email address, and I'll send them to you if you want, but buying the book is highly recommended for in depth explanations of the theories behind it all.

Brihead, which of the routines are you doing now? I've been doing Hyp 1 for a while and it's just about ime to change things up.
    Getting it dialed in

I actually just started back up on H-1 because that was my favorite so far, as far as higher rep workouts are concerned. I did:
    H-1, H-2, S-1, S-2, rippetoe's novice progression (for a month), now I'm on H-1 again. I did it in that order. I only did the rippetoe routine because I was going on vacation in a month, and I didn't want to start up a new NROL routine, then have to stop in the middle of it. Rippetoe's was fun though. I'll start back up on that (intermediate version) when I finish a full year of NROL.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Eat more food.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Dont make it so complicated. Find a pre-made routine like Bill starr's or something similar. Or BGB.

Eat more to gain muscle, eat less to lose fat.

I'd suggest gaining about 1lb a week or slightly less to keep your gains lean. That way, later, you wont have to cut very long at all. Maybe not even at all
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

BGB?
    Last edited by Blade55; 01-24-2008 at 08:11 PM.

First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Hmmm...that looks pretty good too. Having a hard time deciding which one to choose.

Anything more than 500 calories over maintenance is useless and will just be fat. My maintenance is approximately 2400 calories. I really don't have to eat that much.
    You will never get big with that attitude. JMO.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    You will never get big with that attitude. JMO.
    Huh? I thought that was the right way to do it? Gaining 1 pound a week.

That's a bodybuilding thing to only try and gain 1 lbs. per week to minimize fat gains. It's better to bulk up to a much bigger weight by eating tons and tons of food, and lift as heavy as possible for a long period of time. You'll gain some fat, but you'll also gain a s***load of muscle in the process, and if you constantly lift without missing workouts you won't really gain much fat. If you then want to get the cut look after that, just go on a diet.

Trying to stay lean while bulking is very counterproductive IMO.

Huh? I thought that was the right way to do it? Gaining 1 pound a week.
    If you are gaining a pound a week, that's fine and yes, you will get big.

I was commenting on this, and only this statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade55
    Last edited by Sensei; 01-25-2008 at 02:49 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    That's a bodybuilding thing to only try and gain 1 lbs. per week to minimize fat gains. It's better to bulk up to a much bigger weight by eating tons and tons of food, and lift as heavy as possible for a long period of time. You'll gain some fat, but you'll also gain a s***load of muscle in the process, and if you constantly lift without missing workouts you won't really gain much fat. If you then want to get the cut look after that, just go on a diet.

Trying to stay lean while bulking is very counterproductive IMO.
    Does anyone agree with this?

You have a tendency to overanalyze things...

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    You have a tendency to overanalyze things...
    I'm aware.

I've just always been obsessed with making sure I'm doing everything exactly the right way.

It really depends on what route youd like to take. Theres more than 1 way to dice a tomato.

I personally think its best to aim for 1 lb a week.

For most unassisted guys, my feeling is that's probably a nice safe amount. Not too much of it will be fat and you can step it up or dial it back quite easily depending on your gains.