Thread: Flat Bench Press vs Flat Dumbbell Press

Flat Bench Press vs Flat Dumbbell Press

Hello,

I'm new to all this stuff and I was wondering what is "better": Flat bench press or flat dumbbell press? I know the question is a bit vague, sorry. I'm guessing they both work the same muscles?

Better overall: Bench Press. More weight = more muscle stimulation IMHO

However, for beginners and those who have hit a plateau in their Barbell Bench, I highly recommend DB Press. Using DBs hits the stabalizers much harder than BB bench does.

So for example, someone plateaus BB bench at 200 pounds. Take up DB Press for 2-3 months, and when you go back to the Barbell you'll be over you plateau and then some, I guarantee it (unless you're a freak).

But since you're a beginner, I'd actually recommend doing both (on separate days of course). DBs to get your stabilizers off to a good start, and BB just to get you used to having all that weight on your chest, because transitioning from DB to BB if you haven't been doing Barbell bench at all can be quite a shock.

Make sense?
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Quote Originally Posted by Dgro View Post
    Better overall: Bench Press. More weight = more muscle stimulation IMHO

However, for beginners and those who have hit a plateau in their Barbell Bench, I highly recommend DB Press. Using DBs hits the stabalizers much harder than BB bench does.

So for example, someone plateaus BB bench at 200 pounds. Take up DB Press for 2-3 months, and when you go back to the Barbell you'll be over you plateau and then some, I guarantee it (unless you're a freak).

But since you're a beginner, I'd actually recommend doing both (on separate days of course). DBs to get your stabilizers off to a good start, and BB just to get you used to having all that weight on your chest, because transitioning from DB to BB if you haven't been doing Barbell bench at all can be quite a shock.

Make sense?
    Yea it does, thanks! I'm actually doing both on the same day, I did them both today actually. I do 3x8 of bench pressing and 3.8 of slight incline DB press. Check out my journal if you wish
    Last edited by Steven001; 01-28-2008 at 06:32 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    The difference is they don't share the same plain of motion. Pick up any object with one hand and raise it above your head. When lowering the object you will notice that it will move out to the side as well. With barbell though your grip width stays the same throughout the movement.

... weightlifting forever leetuck's Avatar
    My 2p worth ....

I don't barbell press very often at all because it works my front shoulder too much to the point where it feels uncomfortable to do flat barbell. However, no discomfort when doing db's at all.. i've questioned this before and apparently when you have long arms (like i do) the shoulders are used more with barbell. Like ribs said above.. i think its something to do with the forced plane of motion you get with barbell.

However, if you wanna lift as much as you can i'd suggest using barbell (or a mixture of both).
    Last edited by leetuck; 01-29-2008 at 05:42 AM.
    Lee

Height: 6ft 4
    Current weight: 226 lbs

Barbell works the primary muscles harder.
    DB Press works the secondary/stabilizer muscles harder.