Thread: Unproportional lifts/ bench not improving

Unproportional lifts/ bench not improving

Yes another thread about benching lol but this is different. As backround i'm
    6"4 17 years old and have arms a little longer than average for my height. So anyways I have been lifting consistently for probally the last two months. I also know squat and deadlift will be higher than bench but I think mine is really ridiculous. I squat 275x10 and get pretty low with decent form and can deadlift 275 for reps also. However I can only bench 135 4 times. I am not worried about only improving my bench or nything but it seems to be lagging even more so than normal. I usually bench 3x10 but lately have been just doing 135 3 sets till failure. I do chest once a week and it usually consists of

Flat bench 3x10
    Incline 3x10
    Cable crossovers 3x10
    Pec flys 3x10
    And a different pectoral hammer stregth machine 3x10

I think my height and relative newness is the major factor and i've read many articles on improving technique and mine is definitely atleast average. I am really confused to why its not going up. I know it's not the best example but for example my lifting partners bench a good 50 pounds more than me but on different chest exercises I am usually the same or slightly ahead.
    Last edited by donnie165; 01-31-2008 at 02:40 PM.
    6"4 17 fat started 280 current 254.8 weigh ins every sunday.

Hoping anywhere 215-235 but its not the numbers that matter the mirror will tell.

long arms suck man, i have them too. its a bitc.h havin to puch that weight farther up than most! let the 'long arms dont mean shi.t' comments begin!

I hate to say this but it really doesn't mean s**t... if benching is your weakness because of your biological structure then that means you'd just have to work on your weakness to bring it up.

My body is doomed to deadlift but I have no excuse for deadlifting low compared to my other two lifts and I certainly don't let that stop me from deadlifting.

to op, I'd take out cable crossovers, pec flys, hammer strength machine (I really don't know what this is), and add heavy close grip bench. You might also find that lowering your reps might work better for you.
    Last edited by MPB; 01-31-2008 at 02:59 PM.

Ouch I thought mine was bad at 145 x 5. My squats and deadlifts are somewhat proportionate to it at 160 squats and 185 deadlifts but I don't see any progress in the bench. I too have long skinny arms. My plan is to just strengthen up my tri's and shoulders as much as I can since I am sure it can't hurt.
    Age 24
    Weight 180lbs Goal 200lbs by 06/01/08
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300
    "Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that will get you."

... weightlifting forever leetuck's Avatar
    When I went from training at 10 reps down to 5 reps I noticed the that I gained a lot of strength with my chest... 10 reps didn't work at all for me.

I too have long arms - plus I switched from barbell to dumbbells (with the odd barbell set) and that seems to help aswell.
    Lee

Height: 6ft 4
    Current weight: 226 lbs

LEARN TO BENCH LIKE A POWERLIFTER
    Im telling you your numbers will fly up.

I went from 165-200 one rep max in less than 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    LEARN TO BENCH LIKE A POWERLIFTER
    Im telling you your numbers will fly up.

I went from 165-200 one rep max in less than 2 months.
    Please elaborate

Banned
    I'm currently in the same boat, but I know its my fault

I didn't bench for a month or two while I did everything else (still did chest stuff) but currently my overhead press > my bench although in the past I benched a lot more than my press

So heavy bench is the way to go? What kinda reps/sets are we talking here?

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
    Please elaborate
    I think what he means is wide grip, elbows in, back arched, feet planted behind the knees, and shoulder blades pinched.

Look up power lifters on youtube.

The way that I most improved my power lifting style benching was by doing rack lockouts. They force you to use better form to get bigger weight up.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteman90909 View Post
    I think what he means is wide grip, elbows in, back arched, feet planted behind the knees, and shoulder blades pinched.

The way that I most improved my power lifting style benching was by doing rack lockouts. They force you to use better form to get bigger weight up.
    Yep thats the spot.

Wannabebig Member
    I have only been lifting for four years. I have noticed that bench is my slowest lift to progress. Recently, I paid more attention to other upper body lifts, particularly weighted pull ups and have seen more progress in bench also.
    began wt. trning Jan 2004
    Before I was 52 years old, I didn't know squat.

Well your routine looks pretty bad for gaining strength (no offense). You'll want to lower the reps to 5 or so. Trying doing 5x5 on bench, and like 3x5 to 3x8 on assistance. Work on your form; tighten your shoulder blades, get a good arch, and plant your feet. Ditch the cable exercises for dips.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteman90909 View Post

question: How wide is a "wide grip"? My standard is a few inches wider than shoulder width, but any time I go wider I can't lift as much. I guess it's because my triceps aren't supporting as much, but I can't even lift my usual off the bar with a wide grip. Do you drop weight when you make your grip wider?
    "To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing."
    - Timothy Ferriss

"Trying to get everyone to like you is a sign of mediocrity."
    - Colin Powell

NOOOOOOOOOB
    Quote Originally Posted by Decent View Post
    question: How wide is a "wide grip"? My standard is a few inches wider than shoulder width, but any time I go wider I can't lift as much. I guess it's because my triceps aren't supporting as much, but I can't even lift my usual off the bar with a wide grip. Do you drop weight when you make your grip wider?
    wide grip=outside the knurls, some go as far as next to the plates.

if i remember correct:
    close grip=more tricep, less pec.

wider=more pec, less ROM (arch and thick back& big belly make even less ROM)

standard=equal pec/tricep (add in a slight arch/ pinch blades/elbows at a 90degree to the floor and a bar lowered to lower pecs rather than just standard shoulder, you'll get more..this is how coach Rippetoe teaches in his strength training)

"Bigger numbers and being stronger aren't always the same thing"

also to the statement of longer arms is a copout or anything..
    math proves people with longer arms have to do more work benching. Work=force x distance
    distance=longer with bigger arms.
    Last edited by andrewnp; 01-31-2008 at 10:34 PM.

Do more overhead and back work and lower rep ranges.
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 01-31-2008 at 11:44 PM.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.