The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Body part workout vs Upper/Lower body workout?

I was reading another thread and someone mentioned that they don't bother doing "body part" workouts anymore and focus on Upper/Lower split workouts?
    Does this mean instead of doing: chest/back one day, arms shoulders another they'll do Upper: chest/back/shoulders/arms a few exercises of each in one day?

What are the benefits/advantages of either? Right now i'm doing WBB II which is a body part workout...I think lol

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    yea I would like 2 know that

I wouldnt think sumone would wrk out chest back shoulders and arms @ the same time but Idk srry

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by scumbag View Post
    I was reading another thread and someone mentioned that they don't bother doing "body part" workouts anymore and focus on Upper/Lower split workouts?
    Does this mean instead of doing: chest/back one day, arms shoulders another they'll do Upper: chest/back/shoulders/arms a few exercises of each in one day?

What are the benefits/advantages of either? Right now i'm doing WBB II which is a body part workout...I think lol

Just a quick simplification:

"Upper body" and "Lower Body" are splits which broadly speaking, focus on movements or exercises which are compounds and thus work more than one muscle group at once. So instead of doing flyes, front raises and tricep extensions, you could just do the bench press. Likewise instead of doing leg extensions, leg curls, back extensions, shrugs...you could just deadlift.

A couple of benefits of using compound exercises are: (a) you move more naturally than with isolation exercises. (b) you can get stronger and bigger with compound exercises. There are more as well.

As for a bodypart split...I'm not aware of any advantages it has over a properly set up upper/lower except for cases of injury/specialization and the like.

so you're saying upper/lower split is completely better than a body part routine? So just doing that one (maybe 2) exercise per area can be much more beneficial than throwing in smaller (isolation) exercises in? Would I be doing the same number of reps/sets? Right now I do 2-3 sets per at around 6-8 reps.

Oh and one more thing I've been working out for almost 8-9 months now I stand 6ft and weight around 188-191 lbs. At the start I weight around 150-155. Is WBB II and WBB III routines that will still be at a maximum advantage for me to still be doing? Just heavier and heavier? Or should I be looking to switch to an Upper/Lower split now?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by scumbag View Post
    so you're saying upper/lower split is completely better than a body part routine?

All things considered, yes I am

So just doing that one (maybe 2) exercise per area can be much more beneficial than throwing in smaller (isolation) exercises in?

It can be, provided your focus and effort is fully devoted to said exercise(s)

Would I be doing the same number of reps/sets? Right now I do 2-3 sets per at around 6-8 reps.
    Personally I prefer 4-6 sets...but whatever works for you

Oh and one more thing I've been working out for almost 8-9 months now I stand 6ft and weight around 188-191 lbs. At the start I weight around 150-155. Is WBB II and WBB III routines that will still be at a maximum advantage for me to still be doing? Just heavier and heavier? Or should I be looking to switch to an Upper/Lower split now?

I'd switch to an upper/lower split and give it a shot for at least 2 months if I were you. Keep in mind that the focus has to be on big compound movements (think squat, deadlift, bench, T-bar row, chin...) and that even the best routine in the world will not work unless you provide your body with adequate amounts of food and sleep/rest.
    I took the liberty of re-arranging your questions for a bit more clarity (see my replies in bold above)
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 01-31-2008 at 10:56 PM.