Thread: No DIRECT Trap Work... ?

No DIRECT Trap Work... ?

Anyone else get away without and direct trap work. By direct I mean deads or shrugs. Both f*ck up your traps majorly. Somehow my traps are VERY sory just from bentover t-bar rows yesterday I guess. Thats the only exercise I did that COULD have involved my traps at all.

Should I throw in some DB shrugs too or will BTN presses and bentover t-bar rows get the job done?

Somehow?

Rows involve your traps, big time!

I don't find that to be the case. Vertical rows do...but if you don't have that angle I find no fatigue in my traps. Maybe doing rows on a 45 degree or greater would...but again I wouldn't say big time. Oh and as a heterosexual I still refuse to bold.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Yeah well see, my middle and upper traps are sore from rows. BTN presses hit my traps too...

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    I rarely do shrugs anymore. Even if I put them on the opposite end of the week from deads and rows (both for back obviously), my traps are still sore.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Deads are not direct trap work. Shrugs are. I rarely perform shrugs and yes rows will bring the traps into play.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Kinda off the subject......

If u dont do any direct trap work (shrugs) cuz you do deads - why do any direct bicep work (curls) when you do chins, pullups, pulldowns, and/or rows? So just DL, Squat, Chin, and Overhead press once a week........
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

I work my weaknesses that will help to improve my 3 lifts. Right now I don't feel my traps are a weakness in any of the three lifts.
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Originally posted by ericg

If u dont do any direct trap work (shrugs) cuz you do deads - why do any direct bicep work (curls) when you do chins, pullups, pulldowns, and/or rows? So just DL, Squat, Chin, and Overhead press once a week........
    He has seen the light.
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    yes he has

are you saying you don't feel your lats the day after deadlifts latman?

Originally posted by LATMAN
    I work my weaknesses that will help to improve my 3 lifts. Right now I don't feel my traps are a weakness in any of the three lifts.
    But you are just a wussy PL'r

I fully understand your point
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

I don't work the traps directly, but I do deadlift.

I don't know if that helps you.

Originally posted by ericg

Maybe some chest press of some kind too? Just 5 exercises, thats all you need...

MS - I throw in two sets of kneeling db shrugs and superset them with the hammer strength shoulder press. I got the idea of the kneeling db shrugs from chigs or B I can't remember who.
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

Originally posted by Accipiter
    yes he has

are you saying you don't feel your lats the day after deadlifts latman?
    Where the hell did this come from??

To answer your question, no. Although I do tense my lats when tightening up for a deadlift, I don't actually feel much lat stimulation at any point in the movement. However, after a set of heavy deads I do feel strain in my traps and they often get sore from deadlifting.
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

I think that my traps will grow fine with BTN presses and bentover t-bar rows. I could be wrong but I them being sore all the time really lets me know that theyre getting hammered.

Simplistic
    I was able to get some decent gains from just doing deads. I recently added two sets of dumbell shrugs on my shoulder day and it has made a big difference. If you are going to do direct trap work I'd keep it to a minimum.

Yeah if anything at all I am going to do a set of standing or seated DB shrugs on my push/legs day.

I'm pushing hard on my traps since they haven't been progressing as much as I would like. They don't seem to get enought of a workout with my other back or shoulder exercises. I've been doing bb shrugs and kneeling db shrugs at the end of my back workout.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

decease, RIP
    Originally posted by MonStar1023
    bentover t-bar rows.
    You dont do regular t-bar rows, do these work better? I think I know what you mean by these but could you please explain anyway, thanks.

bro
    big.

WTF...........I meant traps......son of a b*tch....

big-
    Yeah bro, these bentover t-bar rows are 1000x better than regular in my opinion. I guess I could be wrong but NOTHING has flamed my midback the way these do. Just one-side of a barbell with a v-grip around it. AWESOME exercise.