The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Bench Shirt Annihilation- Not The Bruising I'd Expected...

So I'm having an issue with getting shirted up that I haven't heard of before, and I just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced it or had any thoughts. I've done two sessions in a shirt, and although I was expecting to get mangled on my arms/chest/etc., I'm also getting bruises elsewhere that I'm having a hard time figuring out.

Both times that I've used the shirt I've had pretty severe bruising in my lower abdomen- one big bruise on each side about 3-4 inches above my junk. After my most recent session, I noticed swelling an hour or two after training- enough so that I actually went to the doctor yesterday out of fear that I'd given myself a hernia. Luckily, he diagnosed it as a nasty hematoma, but I'm still playing it cautiously until the swelling goes down some. Seriously this thing is a 3 inch by 2 in oval the color that grape kool aid stains your fingers.

In my first session we really cranked the belt on tight when we were getting the shirt set, so this time I specifically left the belt looser... and yet this time the bruising is actually worse on the right side (where the hematoma is), but not nearly as bad (albeit still present) on the left side. I'd think it was just the belt cutting into me, but they're a couple inches below where the belt sits.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what the **** keeps happening? Horror and disgust is not exactly the response I want to get from my girlfriend when I take off my pants. I couldn't give a **** less about my arms and armpits looking like I've been getting flogged, but this **** below the belt has got to stop.
    Thanks all.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

That makes no sense? Are you sure you weren't wearing a squat suit?
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote the Priest Nevermore PriestCometh's Avatar
    the belt should only be snug enough to hold the shirt in place. It shouldnt be as tight as when you are squatting or deadlifting.

It sounds like something else is going on here. I don't know what, but I've had the belt on so tight that it's hard to get off afterward and never have had this issue. Never heard of this happening to anyone.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by PriestCometh View Post
    the belt should only be snug enough to hold the shirt in place. It shouldnt be as tight as when you are squatting or deadlifting.
    This was my understanding, and although it was on too tight the first time, it was substantially looser the second time. I could squeeze a couple fingers underneath fairly easily.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Banned
    yes main reason to were a belt while benching with a shirt is to hold it down so it wont ride up.
    it shouldnt have to be very tight at all.

My theory at this point is that maybe the belt is holding the skin a little tight when I lean forward to get the shirt pulled tight, and then when I lean back to get the hairy man cleavage it's just yanking those blood vessels below the belt apart. That's all I can figure.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

When someone is pulling the shirt down, are they "punching" you to try and get it down? If it's tight, they could be hitting you as they try to get it into position.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield View Post
    When someone is pulling the shirt down, are they "punching" you to try and get it down? If it's tight, they could be hitting you as they try to get it into position.
    Nah- they were just pulling it. And seriously they'd have to be punching me like Wladimir Klitschko to be bruising me like this. That's the thing- I don't feel acute pain or anything when this must be happening... I just see the aftermath.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

are you allergic to anything?

Quote Originally Posted by jtteg_x View Post
    are you allergic to anything?
    A couple types of antibiotics. I don't think it's allegry related, as it's only happened the two times when I benched with the shirt on. Unless you're thinking I'm allergic to polyester or something.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RickTheDestroyer View Post
    This was my understanding, and although it was on too tight the first time, it was substantially looser the second time. I could squeeze a couple fingers underneath fairly easily.
    Any chance using the belt the second time aggrevated the initial bruises so much that it looks worse than it did the first time?

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    Any chance using the belt the second time aggrevated the initial bruises so much that it looks worse than it did the first time?
    I'm guessing that may have had an impact, even though the sessions were two weeks apart and there wasn't any more visible bruising. I'm probably not going to be in a shirt again for another 4 weeks or so, that ought to give things a good opportunity to heal up completely. And maybe no belt this time.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Banned
    Have you noticed any pain when squatting and deadlifting? Could be a muscle tear of some sort?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    Have you noticed any pain when squatting and deadlifting? Could be a muscle tear of some sort?
    I didn't after the first time (even set a PR squat 11 days later ), and I'm taking it real easy this time because there is some discomfort involved- but that might just be from my pants pressing on it.
    Now that the discoloration is fading I can see that the bruises are in the exact same spots as the time before... so at this point I'm thinking that the belt tore some blood vessels (and possibly a little muscle) the first time around, and this time reopened things despite me trying to be careful.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn