The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

got stuck at the bottom on 300 today...what should I work on

I went to the gym today to max out on the bench press, and I got 275x1, which is 25lbs more than I've ever lifted in my life on bench. I might've been able to get two, but I didn't try since I was going to try and go higher in weight. Anyways, with 275 the lift felt fairly easy, especially once I got two or three inches from my chest. When I tried 300, I got it off my chest and couldn't get it much farther. I wasn't too disappointed; I'll just work that much harder to get to 300. Hell, I didn't even think I'd get 275 today. However, I'm really starting to feel as though my sticking point is at the bottom of my bench press. This is because I generally tend to power through the lock out portion at the top of the lift, but the lift is harder at the bottom. Do you guys have any advice on what I can work on to improve out of the bottom? I've started to work with bands to work on my speed. If I understand correctly, the bottom portion of the lift involves the lats and delts a lot, no? Any exercises you guys know of that I can do to bring up my weak areas? Thanks, guys!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

yes working on your lats and rear delts will definatly help. Also hit up some floor presses and begin using bands on your ME days also for your heavy singles. Mix up your bench grips as well on ME days (from week to week I mean)

small flabby and hairy joelhall's Avatar
    anterior delts.

A floor press is where you lay on the floor and do a dumbbell or barbell press (much like a bench press), but you let your triceps hit the floor and then push back to lockout, correct?

Dead press and paused presses are my suggestions.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

where can I find some links to videos or explanations of these exercises? Thanks, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrin0tk View Post
    A floor press is where you lay on the floor and do a dumbbell or barbell press (much like a bench press), but you let your triceps hit the floor and then push back to lockout, correct?
    you'll want to use a barbell with a close grip - probably thumb length from the smooth or pinkie on the ring

Here's a good vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEr39_Yz5-Y

Are you benching with a flat back or with an arch? Do you keep elbows flared out or tucked in? Do you touch high on your chest or lower? Do you keep your body stiff and really drive through the floor with your legs? Are you breathing in and out the whole time or do you take a deep breath before you bring the bar down? These are all things that will make or break your max bench attempts. Do the second things on each question and then tell us where your sticking point is. Then we might be able to help you better hit your weaknesses.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Watchya talkn bout willis
    I agree with guido. If you do the second things on each question you could see a good 30-40 lbs once you get used to the form.
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415