The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Need Advice

Need Advice

I workout 5 times a week and my routine goes like this...Monday-Triceps, Chest, Shoulders...Tuesday-Back, Biceps, Abs...Wednesday-Triceps, Chest, Shoulders...Thursday-Back, Biceps, Abs...Friday-Triceps, Chest, Shoulders...You may have noticed I workout my arms everyday and I wanted to know if this was a bad idea. Any pointers are welcome and I also take N.O. xplode and creatine before I lift. Noticing some size gain in my arms but I have heard that over lifting can actual decrease muscle size. Please help.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

in my opinion i definately think your over lifting...none of ur muscles have any time to recover due to u working out so much...read the stickies on this site and learn what type of workout is best for u and ur goals...

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    I workout 5 times a week and my routine goes like this...Monday-Triceps, Chest, Shoulders...Tuesday-Back, Biceps, Abs...Wednesday-Triceps, Chest, Shoulders...Thursday-Back, Biceps, Abs...Friday-Triceps, Chest, Shoulders...You may have noticed I workout my arms everyday and I wanted to know if this was a bad idea. Any pointers are welcome and I also take N.O. xplode and creatine before I lift. Noticing some size gain in my arms but I have heard that over lifting can actual decrease muscle size. Please help.

Let me take this opportunity to say I'm impressed and awed by your fortitude. Despite being in a wheelchair you still work out in the gym every day.

Yes working your arms everyday is not a good idea. Nor is working chest 3 times a week assuming you are going all out. N.O explode is worthless in terms of strength or size gain...a placebo effect is all you are going to get from it...waste of money.

Yes overlifting can decrease muscle size. Post your entire routine here including sets, reps, exercises and tell us your goals. Then we can suggest some help.

The reason I dont lift my legs is because I play college soccer and my legs get beyond enough workout through practice and running. My workouts vary in terms of what exercises I do...I typically do 3 different exercises for each muscle group. 3 sets of 10 reps is usually what I do for each different exercise. Triceps-Dips, machine push-downs, seated dumbell tricep extensions, tricep kickbacks, and reverse push-downs. Shoulders-seated dumbell press, front arm raises, low-pulley lateral raises, one-dumbbell front raises, upright rows. Chest-Incline presses, close-grip bench presses, push-ups, bar dips, dumbbell presses, and cable crossover flys. Biceps- seated curls, hammer curls, barbell curls, preacher curls, reverse curls. Back- reverse chin-ups, chin-ups, close grip lat pull-downs, upright rows, dumbbell shrugs. Abs-every type of sit-up pretty much. Basically I do multiple workouts for each muscle group and I switch up what exercises I do for each muscle group. I would like some help coming up with a 5 day routine that only is upper-body. If I dont go to the gym during the school week every day I feel like I am missing out. Any suggestions are welcome cause obviously I am over working my arms by lifting them everyday. My main focus is to gain upper-body mass, and I would like to work out my arms a little more than my other muscle groups.
    Last edited by SteveW; 02-01-2008 at 02:15 AM.

Monday-Arms...Tuesday-Chest and Abs, Wednesday- Back and Shoulders, Thursday-Arms or Rest Day...Friday-Arms if I use Thursday as a rest day...Would lifting my Chest, Back, and Shoulders only once a week still give me results in those areas? Also when I workout my chest most of my workouts include the triceps as the secondary and when I work my back my biceps are the secondary...Is this ok or would that be too much for my arms if I also lifted them separately twice a week?

What about back? And I have heard your supposed to allow up to 48 hours rest for muscles to grow. With that routine above it would allow 24 max from Saturday-Monday. I work my arms everyday right now but different muscles every other day. For example Monday, Wednesday, and Friday are tricep and chest days which allows for 48 hours rest during the week and with the weekend off I get about 72 hours rest for all my muscles. I do the same with Biceps, Shoulders, and Back. So right now basically my muscles get 48 hours to rest before I work them again but I am doing arms everyday just different muscles every other day. Does that make sense? If so would it be ok to continue with that type of routine?
    Last edited by SteveW; 02-01-2008 at 02:31 PM.

I dont know whats going on but I just asked for help cause I thought I was working my arms too much and needed advice...guess thats entertaining to some people.

I dont know whats going on but I just asked for help cause I thought I was working my arms too much and needed advice...guess thats entertaining to some people.
    Exactly.

Do yourself a favor and search around on this site for a while...start with the stickies. Find a pre-made routine and stick with it.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

Welcome to the site.

Seriously though all you need is to train chest and back twice a week. Train legs the other two times. Running and playing soccer is a vastly different stimulus than squatting heavy.

So upper body on say Monday/Thursday and lower body on Tuesday/Friday. Use the other days for rest. You do not grow IN the gym but out of it. You need rest to grow.

Also stick to the compound movements. Squat, deadlift, bench, row, chin, dip, OH press..forget any isolation movements for now..just a waste of time.

Nobody's going to take you seriously around here if you don't do legs, that's just the way it is. Yes, you're working your arms too much. You'd have better results of you didn't do arms at all

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    Welcome to the site.

Seriously though all you need is to train chest and back twice a week. Train legs the other two times. Running and playing soccer is a vastly different stimulus than squatting heavy.

So upper body on say Monday/Thursday and lower body on Tuesday/Friday. Use the other days for rest. You do not grow IN the gym but out of it. You need rest to grow.

Also stick to the compound movements. Squat, deadlift, bench, row, chin, dip, OH press..forget any isolation movements for now..just a waste of time.
    Listen to this man. He's a

Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    I'm glad somebody finally spilled the beans that deeder was just pulling his leg.

Soccer does NOT constitute an adequate leg workout.
    I'd prefer to call it a social experiment
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

I cant workout my legs because we practice 5 days a week and run our ass off and by the end of practice my legs are so tired and sore there is not a chance in hell I could lift my legs...but this site sucks I was just looking for a little advice and could not find it here.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    I...but this site sucks I was just looking for a little advice and could not find it here.
    We...well some of us gave you advice. You were told that you were overtraining and to train those muscles that you currently train no more than twice a week. Now you can take that advice or you can keep doing what you are doing.

well u dont work legs, thats like not truly working out at all, upper body work is nothing compared to squating and deadlifting,
    and id like to argue that this website is far from sucking, ive gained much knowledge from it and you will to, as long as you start working legs
    You cant buy strength, but you sure as hell can work for it

ohhh and one thing i forgot to add, you got plenty of advice, u just need to be able to take it that is all
    You cant buy strength, but you sure as hell can work for it

... weightlifting forever leetuck's Avatar
    I cant workout my legs because we practice 5 days a week and run our ass off and by the end of practice my legs are so tired and sore there is not a chance in hell I could lift my legs...but this site sucks I was just looking for a little advice and could not find it here.
    Why ask for advice if you DON'T want to take it ... you're the one that sucks for wasting peoples time.

BTW ... deeder i love your sarcasm
    Last edited by leetuck; 02-02-2008 at 07:45 PM.
    Lee

Height: 6ft 4
    Current weight: 226 lbs

You got your advice.

Train your legs after practice or on a day that you don't have practice the next day.

Your routine sucks, you need a new one. Simple as that.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)