Thread: 1st powerlifting meet in a month...

1st powerlifting meet in a month...

What should My expectations be? I've been lifting for a good couple years, and i've been saying that I would go to a meet for a long time now, but this is my first one. I'm not cutting any weight and I'm treating my first attempts like another warm up so that I can get some numbers on the board... my only other worry is bench. I've never waited for a "PRESS" call before, and in the weight room I'm always touch and go (though I don't bounce it off my chest). Should I expect to press 10-15 pounds less than my best in the gym? Also, will they have chalk there?

The federation I'm competing in is kind of small (100% RAW), and it was the only one I could find around, though I'm hoping I might actually set some records cause it didn't look like there were any for my age group/weight class for the state of illinoise. Overall I'm just hoping to get some experience/have some fun.

Finally, is there any advice anyone has for pretraining? I've been on a modified westside cycle for awhile, the only difference being my concentration for the past month or so has been overhead presses vs. bench (It's been a goal for me to overhead press 200 lbs., with strict form, for some time..). I'm thinking I'll just throw in some speed work to remember my form, maybe do some 5x5 training. Should I expect a significant decrease from not benching for awhile too?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

This guy did his first PL meet on Nov 3. Find that date in his log and read what he did the weeks before.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=507810

Keep doing what you're doing, no need to change things this close to a meet. Have a training partner give you a press command on the bench while training in the gym. It doesn't have to be an exaggerated pause, just make sure the bar is under control. Open with something that you can get on your worst day and you should have no problems.

If you have it, bring your own chalk, they don't always have it (and if they do, it may not be in the warmup area). There will always be someone there with chalk, so worst case just ask someone to use it.

Bring your own handoff person for the bench and make sure they know how you want to be handed off.

Bring plenty of water and food for the meet. Don't forget to drink throughout the day, it's easy to get caught up and forget.

Have fun.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Banned
    why dont you start preparing for the meet by doing some pause benching and having someone give you the press command at the gym?

about two weeks down begin to taper down and recover, work on accelaration with lighter weights and less volume. begin getting more and more sleep and rest. be proactive with mobility work etc...

you'll hit the platform in peak strength...
    Proudly sponsored:
    EliteFTS - APT Pro Straps - Spud Inc. - LG Sciences

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    why dont you start preparing for the meet by doing some pause benching and having someone give you the press command at the gym?
    Great advice.

Waiting for signals throws off more people than you can imagine. Also, try a few squats with someone checking your depth. You'd be surprised how low you actually feel you have to go to be parallel. Most people assume they are parallel about 2-3 inches before they actually are!

Good luck.

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    What should My expectations be? I've been lifting for a good couple years, and i've been saying that I would go to a meet for a long time now, but this is my first one. I'm not cutting any weight and I'm treating my first attempts like another warm up so that I can get some numbers on the board... my only other worry is bench. I've never waited for a "PRESS" call before, and in the weight room I'm always touch and go (though I don't bounce it off my chest). Should I expect to press 10-15 pounds less than my best in the gym? Also, will they have chalk there?

The federation I'm competing in is kind of small (100% RAW), and it was the only one I could find around, though I'm hoping I might actually set some records cause it didn't look like there were any for my age group/weight class for the state of illinoise. Overall I'm just hoping to get some experience/have some fun.

Finally, is there any advice anyone has for pretraining? I've been on a modified westside cycle for awhile, the only difference being my concentration for the past month or so has been overhead presses vs. bench (It's been a goal for me to overhead press 200 lbs., with strict form, for some time..). I'm thinking I'll just throw in some speed work to remember my form, maybe do some 5x5 training. Should I expect a significant decrease from not benching for awhile too?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    10 RECOMMENDATION
    1. Take a week off before the meet.
    2. Avoid Max singles 1-week before the meet.
    3. Openers should be a weight that you can do at least three times.
    4. Bring a cooler with extra food & liquids.
    5. Go to the rules meeting & ask questions.
    6. Get a good night sleep before the meet.
    7. Don't eat anything unusual/strange on meet day.
    8. A gym bag with all your equipment,etc & double check it.
    9. Bring extra $$$$.
    10. Bring some rubbing ointment.

Feb 16th- NASA Missouri State, Equipped & Unequipped Powerlifting, Power Sports�, Push Pull, Equipped & Unequipped BP Only & Pro Qualifier,(New)Diamond, MO (Joplin area)
    http://www.nasa-sports.com/Entries/Entry%20Mo%20St.htm

Dec 6th- NASA Missouri Regional, Equipped & Unequip Powerlifting, Power Sports�, Push Pull, Equipped & Unequipped BP Only, Phone - 405-527-8513 E-mail SQBPDL@aol.com

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
    www.atlargenutrition.com
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=NASAKYCHAIRMAN

GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?
    Last edited by NASAKYCHAIRMAN; 02-06-2008 at 08:52 AM.

JT posted a great list

I'm going to second the idea of working on your lifts with signals. When I did my first meet I missed my first attempt because I blew the signals

have fun though, meets are a great time. Don't be afraid to ask guys questions who seem to know what they are doing. Most you'll find are more than happy to help out

think someone could point me to a good video where I can hear the PRESS command so I can get a good idea of what the pause is gonna be like? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    think someone could point me to a good video where I can hear the PRESS command so I can get a good idea of what the pause is gonna be like? thanks!
    Video
    I went to Rhodestown and all I got was this high cholesterol

Allright thanks! He seemed to have a pretty slow descent from other videos I've seen. Is that normal?
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

thats what it'll look like when someone is benching in a shirt. That would be a pause for feds like APF/IPA/UPA and the like. I actually prefer it that way in a meet. But since you're competing in 100% RAW, it might look more like something that Dennis Ceri would do - do a search for 100% RAW benches on youtube (I don't have the ability to post links yet haha)

a bit longer, but then again raw benches usually "look" more paused than shirted benches because of the faster descent.